Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Family Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

Family Cruising Discuss family cruising - kids programs, babysitting, infant care, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 14th, 2007, 10:44 AM
First Mate

Default Can a 5yr old do the turtle/snorkel/catamaran/beach excurs?

This excursion is out of Barbados. There is no age restriction listed. Yet I wonder?
I did read a board saying if you bring a little one, bring thier own vest.
Or maybe I should opt for the green monkey excursion?
Or, should I for the first time ever, leave her in the kids crew for the day?
(just for this stop). And if I did, how does that usualy work?
Sponsored Links
Old February 14th, 2007, 11:56 AM
Yeoman

I have a five year old and I think I wouldn't opt for that excursion -- sounds like too many stops and thus, too long for him. You can leave her in the youth program for free on port days (all lines except NCL -- you have to pay on port days at NCL for the youth program). Or, you may want to do some research and hop a cab in Barbarados for a beach -- there are some lovely ones there. Check out my article "back to the beach" to see if I suggest any for Barbados. It's on the main page of the family section of CM.

Smooth sailing,
Luisa Frey Gaynor
Family Cruise Editor
Old February 14th, 2007, 03:39 PM
First Mate

Yea does sound a bit too much huh? I found there is a beach called payne's bay which is the area of the turtle snorkel (about 100 ft off the coast of the beach) and you can rent a small boat there for 30$ for a couple of hrs. Maybe we will just catch a cab there and take our small boat at our liesure? I'm still looking into it.
Thanks for the tip.
Old February 19th, 2007, 02:21 PM
Passenger

I think it depends on your child - our daughter is also 5 and we did a cruise this past November with her - we did an excursion in Grand Cayman with just her and I (my husband stayed on the ship with our son who was 14 months at the time) - this was on a catamaran, all day trip that did 3 snorkeling stops and another stop for lunch. We had a ball. She did just fine, no problems. But she is a very strong swimmer and loves to explore. I did bring a Speedo swimming vest for her and her own snorkle (one that we practiced with in the pool in the summer so she was comfortable with it)
This was a 13 night cruise so we did many excursions other than the one described above, and she did great on all of them. Mostly sailing/snorkeling ones. And did some research in advance to find non-crowded beaches we could just take cabs to. THis worked out well.