Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Family Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

Family Cruising Discuss family cruising - kids programs, babysitting, infant care, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 9th, 2009, 09:32 AM
Beginner

Default First cruise with kids (4 & 7). Suggestions

First cruise with kids since we've been married. Disney looks great but wondering if worth the $$$$. Also checked out Royal Carribean. Looking for some of you vets to tell me is Disney worth the extra $$? Carnival seems so cheap...any reason or is it the old you get what you pay for. All advise will be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Old February 10th, 2009, 09:35 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

I've always wanted to try a Disney cruise, but I didn't think I wanted to spend that much when I can get what I want in a cruise with Royal Caribbean. Be sure to look into their Voyager and Freedom class ships. With kids that age, there are so many activities for them on those ships. Also great for the parents, you can't go wrong.

Message Boards Moderator
Old February 10th, 2009, 11:54 AM
Passenger

We have done the Disney and the Carnival – one of the newer ships- 2or 3 years ago. The newer Carnival ships have large and nice children’s programs and my kids really enjoyed the cruise, they were maybe 4 and 8 then. There were tons of families and the hours were nice to give us time to do other things without the kids. Now on the older ships – like the Holiday – the kid’s program room was a depressing whole in the wall – last time I heard – so keep the class of ship in mind.

That being said – Disney was incredible, smaller ships, no crowds, great food and the children’s programs and shows were Disney class, if you are a fan of Disney – or have never been and really want a wonderful taste of Disney, I would try it if you can swing it – but it is crazy expensive. But like I said my kids had a great time on the Carnival cruise which was maybe 2 years after we did the Disney. My husband and I on the other hand had cruised many different times, mostly Carnival and Royal Caribbean, and doing Carnival after Disney – we hated it. We are now booked on HAL for spring break and I hope that there are some other kids there, if not my kids will just be with us which is fine too. But Disney raised my standards and I told my husband that I have no interest in ever going on another Carnival or RCC ever again.
Old February 12th, 2009, 05:26 PM
Yeoman

With Disney you're paying extra for the "extra Disney touches." These include tons of character meet and greets; fireworks once per cruise; extravagent deck parties w/Mickey swinging in to save the day; character breakfasts; and you don't pay for the youth program after 10 p.m. like you do on most other cruise lines.

So it's really a question of whether you want the value added/premium aspects of Disney or not.

If your kids are pre-school or grade school, they will really love Disney!

Smooth sailing,
Luisa Frey
Family Cruise editor
CruiseMates.com
Old February 12th, 2009, 05:27 PM
Yeoman

With Disney you're paying extra for the "extra Disney touches." These include tons of character meet and greets; fireworks once per cruise; extravagent deck parties w/Mickey swinging in to save the day; character breakfasts; and you don't pay for the youth program after 10 p.m. like you do on most other cruise lines.

So it's really a question of whether you want the value added/premium aspects of Disney or not.

If your kids are pre-school or grade school, they will really love Disney!

Smooth sailing,
Luisa Frey
Family Cruise editor
CruiseMates.com