Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > First-Time Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

First-Time Cruisers Novices ask here & No question is too silly!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 5th, 2001, 07:26 PM
espa98

Default SO MANY QUESTIONS.....

HELLO EVERYONE!!!
I JUST LOVE THIS WEBSITE AND I HOPE TO FIND ANSWERS TO SEVERAL OF MY QUESTIONS. THIS IS WHAT IS GOING ON.....
MY HUSBAND AND I ARE GOING ON A CRUISE. WE ARE PLANNING FOR THE BEGINNING OF OCTOBER AND WE ARE SERIOUSLY CONTEMPLATING THE CARNIVAL TRIUMPH. IT HAS THE AREA WE WANT TO GO TO (WESTERN CARIBBEAN) AND IT IS FAIRLY PRICED. SO, MY QUESTIONS ARE AS FOLLOWS...
1)IS THIS A GOOD BOAT FOR YOUNG COUPLES IN THEIR 20S?
2)IS IT MUCH OF A DIFFERENCE IN JUST A PICTURE WINDOW, OR A ROOM WITH A BALCONY, BESIDES PRICE?
3)ARE THE EXCURSIONS WORTH IT THRU THE CRUISE LINE OR IS IT BETTER TO PERSONALLY PLAN IT?
4)IF WE SHOULD PLAN EXCURSIONS INDEPENDENTLY, HOW SHOULD WE GO ABOUT DOING IT?
5)HOW MUCH SHOULD WE PLAN ON SPENDING ON EXTRAS, SUCH AS GRATUITIES, SOUVENIRS, EXCURSIONS, PICTURES, ETC?

ANY HELP ON THIS WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED. THIS WILL BE AN ANNIVERSARY CRUISE FOR US, AS OUR ANNIVERSARY IS THE WEEK BEFORE.
HOPE
Sponsored Links
Old March 14th, 2001, 08:03 PM
Robocop

Default Re: SO MANY QUESTIONS.....

Okay, here's the deal. Wait and go in Sept on the Cruisemates Cruise with John Heald making this a very "special" cruise indeed. This will be to the Western carib and the complete info will be posted very shortly on the homepage. The answers to your questions are;
#1 Most definately. Carnival has lots to do and the varity is wide so that there is always something to do for everyone.
#2 Well, other than the obvious fact you can stand on your balcony and enjoy being outside and in a balcony you are higher up.
#3 For a first time cruiser, and those that are not quite sure of themselves being on their own in a foriegn country, many of the ships excursions are great. We have done many ships excursions as well as many on our own and frankly, it usually just depends on what we are wanting to do and where as to if we book with the ship or do our own thing.
#4 If doing it on your own then "research" is the key. You will also find sites right here in cruisemates that point you to tour compinies and shore excursions that you can book through.
#5 Figure an average of $10 per day per person in tips, That can go up or down and also be adjusted according to who you wish to receive more and who less. My wife and I rarely spend over $500 additional but you never know what you might run into that catches your interest. Bringing a credit card is a good idea for the larger expenses and purchases. Additionall bring quite a bit of small bills like 5's and ones's for use in tipping and small purchases. They really come in handy.
Jim
Old March 15th, 2001, 06:55 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default Re: SO MANY QUESTIONS.....

Hi Esp98,
Actually going on Carnival Triumph should be great fun for a first cruise, here is a members review:

<http://www.cruisemates.com/articles/cruiseguide/shiptour/memreviews/mr_carnival/triumph7.html>

Actually a cruise like this is a great way to celibrate an anniversary, congrats!

You may also want to read through this section devoted to "first cruise", some great tips:

<http://www.cruisemates.com/articles/cruiseguide/first-time/index.cfm>

I alsways find it easier to set aside the tips before we cruise and just put them in an envelope, so I don't spend that money on something else and its there when we need them, it really works. As for spending money, you really don't need that much unless you like to gamble a lot. Everything else while on board just goes on your sign and sail card, but watch that too, everything adds up quickly. Have a wonderful cruise!

Donnassei