Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > First-Time Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

First-Time Cruisers Novices ask here & No question is too silly!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 29th, 2001, 03:30 PM
lisatoolgirl

Default COOLERS??????????

Hello, i will be taking my 1st cruise in dec and i live in fla so i just drove over to Port Caneral to look at the ships. I saw alot of people carring small coolers with them? Can you take them on the cruise? Why are they bringing them?? If you say for alcohol i thought that was a NONO? Can you bring sodas on with you or will they take them from you? I am going to cruise on the Fantsay to the bahamas for 4 days and i drink alot of coke and my husband is a beer drinker. I had to really save to go on cruise so every corner i save is very helpful to me. Thanks for any help.
Sponsored Links
Old July 30th, 2001, 01:55 PM
Admiral

Default Re: COOLERS??????????

Cruise lines do not hand search your carry-ons or bags. They x-ray them just like at the airports for contraband and weapons. Probably, those folks you saw were bringing on their personal beverages just like you may wish to do. Just don't consume a Bud from the can out in the open decks. This is tacky! Put your beer or soda in a cup, water bottle or enjoy your choice of beverages in your cabin. I am sure you will contribute to the "bar bill" on board ship as most of us do in lounges, at show, while dining, etc. Don't forget that tips are automatically included on bar bills, so it is not necessary to tip the bartender/waiter separately unless you want to. I alway bring one bottle of alchol in each carry-on and sometimes Sparkling Water (my regular beverage) which is hard to buy on board or very expensive ($2-$3 per bottle same for a can of soda). Regular water on board is fine to drink from the tap!
Bon voyage
Old July 31st, 2001, 12:15 PM
Admiral

Default Re: COOLERS??????????

Hi, Lisa ...

It's not the coolers that are the problem ... what's in them might be.

Word is that Carnival is very picky on the liquor issue these days.

Me, I'd pack the stuff in checked luggage, well-cushioned with clothes, and hope for the best.

You can make an excellent cooler from items readily found around the house ... one sturdy shopping bag and two white trash bags. Put the trash bags inside the shopping bag and add ice, which your cabin steward will be happy to do for you. Keep the "cooler" in the shower removing only when the shower is being used for showering.

You might want to pop over to the Ships area here and ask under the Carnival topic for recent cruisers' experiences if you haven't already done so.

I love it that you drove over just to LOOK at ships. You are obviously exhibiting early symptoms of cruise obsession. Welcome to the club !!!

Let me know if there's anything else I might not be able to answer for you.

pamda -- CruiseMates First-Time Cruisers Editor