Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > First-Time Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

First-Time Cruisers Novices ask here & No question is too silly!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 22nd, 2001, 11:48 PM
Linda Butler

Default Worried Storm -Bermuda

Ok, I am a first time cruiser due to leave Sept 2, 2001 out of New York to Bermuda for a 7 day cruise.. This is my frist cruise and I am so excited, then I heard about this storm Dean? and now I am worried that it will be cancelled. I feel like a kid possibly going to be told to "Stay Home"!
Sponsored Links
Old August 25th, 2001, 02:51 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Worried Storm -Bermuda

Weather is always a worry with ANY cruise.

Relax, the ships do their best to circumvent a storm and give the smoothest, calmest and sunniest weather possible.
Old August 28th, 2001, 03:08 PM
mabes57

Hi Linda,

Which ship are you travelling on? I was on the Pacific Princess (aka the Love Boat) the 1st week of August and we had a level 9 storm with gusts of level 10 going to Bermuda. It was my first cruise ever, the ship rocked a little bit so every once in a while you'd have to hold onto a wall or bannister but I never got seasick. I later learned that the small size of the Love Boat allowed it to manuever better in the storm. I'm actually glad I experienced it because now it's one of the many terrific memories I have stored away of my wonderful trip. The cruise staff and captain's staff are all trained to handle storms. So don't worry. Just have fun.

Regards, Mabes57
Old August 29th, 2001, 09:41 AM
Admiral

Hi, Linda ...

Dean is long gone. He certainly has some friends, though.

In eight trips to Bermuda during hurrcaine season, we've followed them on the way and run ahead of them on the way home. Cruise ships are MUCH faster than hurricaines.

Add to that, the Captain -- and the cruise line -- aren't going to endanger their Very Expensive ship or the lives of (possibly litigious) passengers.

A couple of years ago, as we were boarding up a beach house in NC against an oncoming hurricane, I was calmly (?) sitting at my laptop writing a story for MSNBC about the safest place to be in a hurricane. My answer? On a cruise ship. I believe I said, "You may be headed for Hamilton (Bermuda) and end up in Halifax (Nova Scotia) but you'll have a great cruise. Take a sweater."

Go forth and enjoy.

pamda -- CM First-Time Cruisers Editor (a/k/a "HurriKane")