Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > First-Time Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

First-Time Cruisers Novices ask here & No question is too silly!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 21st, 2001, 11:55 PM
Maelene

Default 1st time cruisers on the Victory-Jan.20

I was wondering are the dining rooms and shows smoke free? Also is it better to have cash or travellers cheques for the cruise. I know there is lots to do for every age on the cruise, but I was wondering if there are discos or what for my 15 & 17 yr. olds. Thanx.
Sponsored Links
Old October 25th, 2001, 01:14 PM
Admiral

Default Re: 1st time cruisers on the Victory-Jan.20

Hi, Maelene (what a pretty name) ...

Dining rooms and show lounges are smoke free.

Teen programs (I'm long past being a teenager and so are my kids) usually seem to include disco-type stuff. From what I read, the teens really love hooking up with other kids and getting shed of the 'rents :-)

One thing: establish good rules for your kids including check-in times and curfews. There was a lot of discussion about these issues a few months back. Most parents are fairly strict about it, but there are some who aren't.

So far as the $$ issue, the easiest thing is to give a credit card for the on-board charges. Also, be warned. Kids can rack up a heck of a bar bill on sodas alone. You may want to discuss that ahead of time and, maybe, do some self-supplying in port if they are big soda drinkers.

I travel with cash because travellers' cheques are such a pain to cash. I don't like lines. The cash goes into the safe immediately and we only take out what we think we will need on a given day.

I use the "stuff the bra" method for carrying the cash to the ship except for the singles and $5s for porterage tipping, purchases at the airport, etc.

We make all major purchases by credit card when ashore so we always have the credit card company between us and the vendor. There are some places where "cash talks" -- such as buying silver jewelry in Mexico if you know what you're doing. If I'm in that sort of shop mode, the cash goes back into the bra.

Let us know if we can help with anything else.

pamda -- CM First-Time Cruisers Editor
Old October 28th, 2001, 03:50 AM
Maelene

Thanx for the advice. We definitely will have curfews and will be doing the family dinners together. I am going for a holiday and to celebrate our 25th so I do not plan on worrying about my teens --so there will be rules-but I am sure they will have lots of fun even with a few rules.
Old October 28th, 2001, 08:25 AM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to Jennifer

Pamda,
Bet those Mexican vendors love it when the cash comes OUT of the bra! What a show! !!

Mas, senora, mas!!

jennifer
Old October 29th, 2001, 04:44 PM
Linda T.

Hi Maelene,
Yes the show rooms and diningrooms are smoke free. Your kids are going to have a great time. I asked my 16 year old son what he likes to do on a cruise and he said" swimming pools, water slide, the disco, the kids "coketail Party" pingpong tables, volleyball, shuffelboard, the game room, and meeting new friends. I don't know what it is about kids, but it seems like you can be at sea 2 hours and they already know every teenager on the ship. Happy anniversary, your going to have a great time.. oh and if they are big coke drinkers, you can buy them a coke card. My kids don't drink enough cokes to make it worth it for us, but cokes on a ship can get very expensive if you plan on having a few each day.Have fun..........Linda
Old October 30th, 2001, 12:21 PM
Admiral

Maelene ...

Why not let the kids have dinner with their new pals one night so you and your husband can have a romantic dinner for two? I'm very big on romance.

pamda
Old October 30th, 2001, 04:59 PM
Maelene

Thanks for all the information and advice-it will help us a lot.