Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > First-Time Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

First-Time Cruisers Novices ask here & No question is too silly!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 7th, 2002, 12:38 PM
alice

Default clothing

hi my husband and I will be taking our first cruise in april on the enchantment of the sea ship. could you tell me for clothing do we need to bring enough clothes for the week or is there laundry faclities on the ship where one can do their personal laundry. I cannot imagine packing 15 outfits to wear!!!!! plus undergarments- is there washers and dryers that the passengers can use????
Sponsored Links
Old January 9th, 2002, 03:21 PM
Godfather

Default Re: clothing

Bring enough clothes for the week. There are NO personal laundry facilities on this ship (or any of RCL's as far as I know). Behind your cabin door will be a "laundry" list/ticket. My brother thought the airline lost his luggage and we were looking over their laundry services and they are not cheap. (usually $2.50/piece of clothing)

Last year the Enchantment had two formal nights (suit/tux - which you can rent) and one smart casual (sport coat and tie). I can't help you out, but can help out your husband. Sorry. Besides these nights, I usually bring 3 other pair of dress pants and about 5 polo type shirts. For the days "at sea" & in the ports I pack 3 swim trucks, and several t-shirts (12). Shoes are easy: Dress type (1), Tennis type (1), Sandals type (1-2). I just got back from the Voyager, and all this easily fit into ONE garmet bag and TWO small carry-ons. (NO KIDDIN')

Hope this helps.
Old January 12th, 2002, 11:25 AM
Admiral

Good heavens, Alice !!!

You want to do laundry on vacation?

Underwear takes up almost no room at all. Put all your bras in a stack, fold in half (cup-in-cup, as it were) and roll them up. Same with panties and men's undies. I consider cruises an opportunity to spruce up the contents of my underwear drawer. Other people take their oldest stuff and just throw it out as they go along.

I've figured out that I can "make do" with two pairs of shorts on a 7-day. I do use the ship's laundry, and I think $2.50 or $3 is about what they charge for a pair of shorts. It's worth it. I plan on a shirt a day for spousal unit and myself, then add a couple of extras. The knit shirt husband wears to dinner on casual nights is on his back (or mine) the next day. We call this "air and wear".

I also depend upon the "dreaded denim", a long denim dress that has almost as many miles on it as I do and the "LBD" (Little Black Dress) that can be dressed up or down at a whim. The dreaded denim is the ideal travel dress. Comfortable and appropriate in any climate.

Two bathing suits each (there is nothing ickier than a suit that didn't dry overnight).

I once did a 13-day Trans-Atlantic cruise with a pair of black silk pants and assorted tops, scarves and jewelry plus the LBD which had dinner with the captain sporting a double strand of pearls. I got kind of tired of the pants by the end of two weeks, but at least it proves it CAN be done. I also only took three pairs of shoes.

I promise you, NOBODY is going to remember if you wear the same thing twice. After lots of cruises, I only remember two women's outfits. One because it was so beautiful (as was the lady wearing it) and the other because it was so incredibly tacky.

Lots of men, even though they own tuxes, rent because it's one less thing to pack.

Men's docker-type pants can survive two or three wearings if the guy remembers to hang them up

Let us know what else we can help with ???

pamda -- CM First-Time Cruisers Editor
Old January 16th, 2002, 05:35 PM
Cruise Maniac

We just got back from a cruise over Christmas! If I were packing for a cruise, I would pack much less than I did!! You don't really need much. A couple pairs of shorts, 4-5 shirts, 2 bathing suits, a sweater you can wear with anything, a couple pairs of long pants, and maybe 2 dresses for more formal wear. (I just took 2 knit long dresses that could be dressed up or down.) My husband only took one sport coat and a tie, with 2 dress shirts for the formal nights. I would only take one pair of dress shoes that would go with everything, tennis shoes, and sandals. We found that we could wear things more than once very easily. Believe me, the less, the better! We got along fine!
Have a great time! You'll find that the clothing is the least of it!!!