Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > First-Time Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

First-Time Cruisers Novices ask here & No question is too silly!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 3rd, 2002, 11:03 PM
First Mate

Default First Timer and Excited!!!

Hi Everyone,

Here I am with basically the same post I've put in a couple of other sections on these boards I've been devouring the site and message boards for weeks, getting up the nerve to post!

First, thank you to everyone for the invaluable advice I have gathered on this site and on these boards. Everyone is so helpful and nice!

My husband and I will be cruising for the very first time aboard the Spirit on 3/27 - 8 day southern carib itinerary. We'll be in port (Barbados) on Easter Sunday. I didn't realize Easter was so soon this year when I booked. I've heard most things will be closed in Barbados that day ... will I be able to get to a beach?

I've read less about the Spirit than any other Carnival ship. Why is that?

We booked cabin 8180 cat 8I - has anyone had experience in one of these cabins? It has an extended balcony - which from what I've read gives us a few extra inches out there - lol

I'm trying to ignore the Carnival bashers... We did have our sights set on other cruise lines after doing some research before going to our TA. She said we would be happier on Carnival based on our ages (late 30's) and the things we like to do.

That said... this being an Easter cruise, will the ship be full of kids? Not that this will bother me because I intend to have the time of my life no matter what!

I'm leaving 3 teens at home for over 2 weeks. Since we live in metro NYC area and both were personally affected by 9/11, I can't get myself to fly, yet. We'll be extending our trip on each end by driving to Florida and relaxing with family. I've read we should have no worries about driving to the port in Miami and parking there for the 8 days.

I'll be out of touch with my kids for the longest time I've ever had to be! No daily check in calls- I heard the ship phone costs a small fortune - I'd rather spend that money shopping! lol (cruel mom)
I have family nearby to make sure they are ok and who can be there for them in case of an emergency. I will try to email them as often as I can from the ship and call them from ports.

The past six months has been so hard on my husband, we just really need this adventure!! I intend to have a blast no matter what is thrown our way. I'm going to start my cruise shopping and packing this week.... I am just so excited!!

Does anyone have any experience on the Spirit? Any advice? Any warnings? Tips?

What about bringing along my laptop to download digital pictures? Too much? I'm very into photography and I'm thinking - video cam, 35mm AND my digital might be too much... any oppinions?

Sorry for being so long winded!! Thank you everyone. The questions just keep popping up!

counting down the days...
deja
Sponsored Links
Old March 4th, 2002, 11:01 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Harry Martin
Default Re: First Timer and Excited!!!

Deja,

What a wonderful note! You will love it. I agree with you TA with your ages, you will love Carnival. (I'm 39). I always say it's like going to Vegas -- lots of fun, late nights if you want and just kicking back.

My one little bit of advice is to check out the email services in the Internet cafes on land.Much cheaper than on the ship. We just got back from Mexico, and here's the prices we saw: $7.50 for 15 mins on the ship (Sea Princess); in the cruise terminal in Puerto Vallarta $2 for 15 minutes; in town in Cabo, 7 cents a minute, which translated to $3 for 45 minutes.

Just tell 'em the days they can expect to hear from you (port days) and you will save a lot.

In terms of packing, my Bible is Pamda's book, "Cruise Control." It is absolutely the best book in preparing for your first (or sixth) cruise (like us).

Also, this fall keep an eye out for the fall foliage cruises from NYC for one to take in your own backyard.

Harry Martin
Old March 4th, 2002, 02:38 PM
First Mate

Thank you Harry!

Ohhh what a great idea- fall foliage cruises from NY. I never even thought of that. What a great weekend get-away!

I'm just so excited- I need to start making lists and shopping and packing. The preparations are just as fun for me as the vacation! That must sound weird- lol.

I'm going to deinately check out the internet cafe's in the ports.

I have family here close by to check on the kids...

This is going to be such a great break from all the tension of the last six months.

Have I mentioned how excited I am?

counting the days..
deja
Old March 5th, 2002, 08:35 PM
First Mate

Hi! I am also taking a first cruise (10/30//02) and equally excited. We have booked a category 8C also with an extended balcony on the Legend out of Baltimore to Bermuda. (No flying) Our room is at the very back of the ship. We didnt really get a choice of where, just was told this was the only balcony room available.

Anyway, I would very much like to hear from you when you return from your cruise. What you did, how you liked it, how you liked your balcony room and where on the ship was it located.

I have been reading messages on as many sights as I could find: cruisereviews.com, cruisecritic.com, etc. I have such a long wait!! But....I guess it will be here before you know it!

Enjoy your cruise!!
Old March 6th, 2002, 01:36 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Harry Martin

Man, you will have a huge balcony -- they are gigantic at the rear of the ships from what I have seen and heard! And don't worry about noise -- have never heard any and we were 7 rooms from the rear from the last cruise 3 days ago

Harry
Old March 14th, 2002, 05:18 PM
Leslie Cochrane

We are taking our first cruise through my work. I won the cruise! We had no choice of rooms, but would like to know if it is good. We are on the Carnival Cruise line and the ship is Fascination. Our room is E236 ocean view. It is in the very back. Does anyone have any advise for us. We leave on 3/18 and come back on 3/22.