Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > First-Time Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

First-Time Cruisers Novices ask here & No question is too silly!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 30th, 2002, 07:38 PM
Beginner

Send a message via AIM to ellynmae
Default inside cabin

I've read lots of posts from cruisers that rave about how much they love having a balcony when cruising. I'm curious to hear from those of you who did choose an inside cabin about whether you also had successful cruising.

We've booked an inside cabin for our first cruise next spring. I know having a balcony sounds lucious but I'm wondering if watching the views from on the upper decks wouldn't be just as lovely and would allow us more funds for the port tours and shopping.

Ellyn
Sponsored Links
Old December 1st, 2002, 11:37 AM
Brad Krewson

Default Re: inside cabin

Ellyn

I have had a balcony only one time. It was our trip to Alaska. Having a balcony on the Alaska trip was great, because we were going thru the inside passage way. We had land on both sides of the ship. Their was so much too see (land) we were on the balcony alot of the times.

On other cruises we have had windows. Once you are out to sea , their is only water to see. Having a inside cabin is fine. We always get up early and go to bed late.
So we are out of the cabin to eat and do our ports of call or lay out by the pool.

I'm top side all the time and I only look out the window when we wake up in the morning.

I don't feel you will miss anything having a inside cabin. Get up and get outside in the morning. You will just feel great and by the time you go to bed it is dark outside anyways.

Brad

P.S. The only reason we have a outside cabin so we have chairs or a couch not just a bed.

Post Edited (12-01-02 11:40)
Old December 1st, 2002, 11:37 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Harry Martin

I've done both -- October was a balcony on Carnival Spirit and November was an inside on the Vision of the Seas.

You can always go up on deck or use some of the public rooms, like you said. We normally book a balcony if the trip has more days at sea, because I prefer to just relax outta sight. Port-intensive cruises I have no problem in an inside room.

A couple tips on an Inside:

* I always keep nearly all the lights on for less of a claustrobic feel. Also, I normally keep the front door propped open if we are just watching TV etc.

* If you crack the bath door and leave on a light, that will leave just enough light in the room so you don't play human pinball machine when you wake up in the morning to answer the room service call (took us a day on the last cruise to figure that out).

* Bring a clock or order morning room service because I am seem prone to oversleep in an inside room because it is so dark with the lights off.

Hope that all helps,
Harry
Old December 2nd, 2002, 04:41 PM
Admiral

Outsides are nice, and balconies are wonderful, but an inside is fine with me as well.

I am an on the go cruiser, so I spend little time in the cabin, even when I do have a balcony.

Leave your TV on the ship's bridge cam channel to feel connected to the outside.
Old December 5th, 2002, 12:18 AM
Beginner

I just got back from my first cruise on the Carnival Ecstasy--it was only a 3-day cruise-- and my husband and I had an inside cabin. The cabin was much roomier than I thought it would be, and personally, I liked how dark it was at night--it helped me sleep better. The ocean view room across the hall constantly had their door propped open and in the morning the light that shone through their room and under my door was sooo bright, it really bothered me. We ended up putting a towel along the bottom of the door to keep the light out. Even then it wasn't completely dark in the room, because the door jams let light in too. Honestly, we only went to our room to change or sleep, so we never felt like we missed having a window. For a longer cruise I would consider paying extra for a private balcony like one of the previous posters said, if you want to relax in private. That would be nice for days at sea. But if you can save a lot by having an inside cabin and have more money for port activities, I say keep the inside cabin! I found plenty of locations on the ship to sit and relax where there were few, if any, people around, and the ship was sold out for our cruise.

Good luck and have fun!

Marion

Old December 9th, 2002, 12:45 PM
Becki

I had an inside cabin for my first cruise and it was fine. I do recommend bringing a clock though - there are some cruise lines that don't provide them. Trust me - unless you're on your honeymoon, you're never in your cabin except for sleeping and showering.
Old December 10th, 2002, 08:57 AM
First Mate

On our first cruise we had a window and it was nice. On our second cruise we had an inside cabin and it was great as well. The only downside to an inside is that when the lights are out, it could be noon or midnight and you would never know the difference. If you are a sleeper, like me, I would suggest you bring an alarm. As far as the rooms go there is not much of a difference and the view on deck is just as beautiful. We do have a balcony booked on the Legend in April basically just to experience having one. I don't know if I would go for the expense all the time but once I can do.
Old December 16th, 2002, 01:37 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to Mike J
Default Re: Re: inside cabin

From what I have read, I take it that there is no wake up call on board? Have also heard that the total darkness makes for a better sleep.

Mike J
Old December 19th, 2002, 08:22 AM
First Mate

There is a wake up call service. You order it on your phone. At least, we did on EOS.
Old January 3rd, 2003, 12:02 PM
Yeoman

Send a message via AIM to -Rob

On our first cruise we had an inside cabin (By the cruise-lines mistake). The worst thing about inside cabins, is you have no idea what time it is when you wake up! The hall light is always on, and you dont have any sunlight. So you could very easily wake up at 10 and think its like 6. On our second cruise we had a window, and it was great. It had like a foot wide sill and we sat in it some. lol Needless to say, after sitting in the window sill we have a balcony on our June 14th sailing on the Carnival Pride. If you want a balcony, go on the Carnival Spirit class ships, because theres A LOT more balcony cabins, so there cheaper.
Old January 29th, 2003, 09:11 AM
mrsjava

I hear alot about upgrading your cabin once you get to the ship. How does this work? When do you ask for a different cabin and to whom? I'd like to take a chance to get something a little better, but not sure of the process. It's a bit confusing.
Old January 29th, 2003, 10:06 AM
Admiral

having had an inside cabin, window cabin and balcony cabin here is my opinion. Inside cabin - like sleeping in a closet, you never know if it is morning or night- would not book one again. Window cabin - very nice, not talking port hole here, large window.- but it doesn't open. Balcony cabin - the only way to go. Its so nice to be able to open the slider and have the fresh air come in and to listen to the sounds of the sea lulling you to sleep. We love sitting out on our balcony when we are coming into a port- especially if its early in the morining. I love watching the ship come into port and i can do it in my jammies witha cup of coffee.
Old January 29th, 2003, 07:20 PM
Yeoman

I agree with the others that the only real problem is not knowing what time it is. The inside cabins on Carnival Inspiration had a fake window. It looked like window there, a normal window would look if the drapes were closed.
Old February 9th, 2003, 09:13 AM
Cruise Maniac

The way I look at it . . . . Why spend $300+ on a window you can't take home with you? If you like privacy and have the extra money, take the window seat. We don't spend enough time in the room to warrant a window.