Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > First-Time Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

First-Time Cruisers Novices ask here & No question is too silly!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 13th, 2004, 05:59 AM
SuQu

Default taxi vs. car rental/gas in Cozumel

Does anyone know the current cost per gallon in Cozumel? I'm trying to figure out if it is more cost effective to rent or cab.
Sponsored Links
Old June 14th, 2004, 10:28 AM
Admiral

Default Re: taxi vs. car rental/gas in Cozumel

don't know the specifics on pricing, i do know that you can hire a cab for a few hours or for the entire day, for a very reasonable fare, and you get a ride and a tour guide, i think its easier, much less hassle and probably cheaper than renting a car.
Old June 14th, 2004, 12:34 PM
trish1c

Find out if you are insured if you rent in a foreign country. Usually it's not a good idea.
Old June 14th, 2004, 02:47 PM
First Mate

Send a message via MSN to Carey Send a message via Yahoo to Carey

I would recommend getting a cab - as the previous poster said, you can hire them for a few hours and agree on a price beforehand and it usually is very reasonable. Just be sure you AGREE on a price - be certain that your cab driver speaks good enough English or you speak good enough Spanish to make sure you are on the same page as far as prices.

Old June 16th, 2004, 01:46 PM
stuff&things

Last week gas was over $3 a gallon in US$. Would advise a taxi and there are many things ot consider, rained out roads being the least of your worries.

Old June 21st, 2004, 09:40 PM
Passenger

We just got back and we rented a minivan in Cozumel. We had 6 in the group and did not think we would have much luck with finding a big enough taxi. We were wrong. A lot of the taxis are minivans.

It was $90 for the day but with insurance and taxes it was more like $125. Gas was $2.88 gallon/liter. Be careful when you fill the car back up, we told the guy $10 but he kept filling the car. Lucky we caught it in time to only have to pay $3 over. If I had to do it over again I would have hired the driver.
Old June 29th, 2004, 04:14 PM
Passenger

Our taxi to Playa Sol in Cozumel was $30 round trip. We saw many rental cars being stopped by road blocks and our driver said the "authorities" were basically shaking the drivers down for extra money. I'd go with the taxi driver.
Old July 1st, 2004, 01:32 AM
Passenger

We did not have any problems other than the road construction in the downtown area.