Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > First-Time Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

First-Time Cruisers Novices ask here & No question is too silly!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 22nd, 2004, 08:29 PM
Sun_Diva

Default Anyone Else Super Happy?

Hiya Folks.....

I am going on my first cruise this coming November and I really am super happy!! I can barely keep my mind off it.....it feels like each day ticks by like a month.....Are any of the other first time cruisers as excited as myself?? I have been to so many places around the world but a cruise seems so invigorating!! Here's to all of us....first timers...lets have an awesome first time and hopefully come back wanting more!!

Sun_Diva
Sponsored Links
Old June 22nd, 2004, 08:46 PM
CruiseTeen55

Default Re: Anyone Else Super Happy?

Welll ive beeen on only one cruise before but if you are this excited now.. wait till the VERY FIRST time you step on the ship its like heaven. Unfortunately its only 7 DAYS! make them last or i promise you will regret not taking advantage of every oppurtunity. If you are in doubt of if you should try anything (especially food :*) dont hesitate. I'm a sun "goddess" not necessarily diva! Have fun on your cruise. You lucky dog you! mines in december!! What ship?
Old June 22nd, 2004, 10:14 PM
First Mate

Sun Diva: I'm waiting for my first cruise too! In August. Browse around this web site. Often. For lst timers (and veterans, too, I suspect) there's lots of great info that you probably wouldn't even think to ask! I got online, after a few wines, and decided that a cruise to Alaska sounded rather fun and BOOKED it! This site has really saved my "fanny." Nice folks here...ask any question you want. Forget if you think it's a "lame" question, it will get answered! Marty
Old June 23rd, 2004, 09:47 AM
Admiral

its the same anticipation and excitement for us veterans also! We love newbies here! If you have any questions feel free to ask!
Old June 23rd, 2004, 11:31 AM
Passenger

My hubby and I are first time cruisers.We have to wait till April,we are going on Norwegian Sun,to Panama Canal.
Old June 23rd, 2004, 11:57 AM
Admiral

We cruised back in April and are booked again this Dec...I am so happy that I have to sit on both hands just to keep from waving at everybody..SO happy that if the government knew how happy I was..they would come up with a tax for it..<VBG>..so Shhhhh..dont tell them.

Old June 26th, 2004, 11:05 PM
Yeoman

sun dive

been there/done that with my first cruise and im still doing for my upcoming cruise next may aaaaaaahhhhhgggggggg.

the excitement doesnt go away. at least not for me. just enjoy the fun of planning the trip and all the great things you are going to do and see. your sail away day will get here eventially. you are way ahead of me hehehehe. and dont worry-----you are very normal.

Old June 27th, 2004, 07:57 AM
Yeoman

Default Obsessiveness

I had the same experience when I discovered Walt Disney World in Florida. I had always been intrigued by the place, while I was growing up. It opened when I was young, and all my "rich" friends were taken there by their parents. We weren't as lucky. So it always was a hidden mystery to me. By the time affordability was within reach, I was too old to find the place "cool" enough to visit on vacation. <grin> Over the years since, I had occasion to learn more about the place through work. I had several professional contacts who worked with Disney, and I became intrigued about the place for a completely different reason -- it was one of the best at what it did, and that-which-it-was-best-at was very much part of what I did for a living (at the time).

So, one year, I made a point of taking a vacation there with my wife, and was hooked. We went back every year, sometimes twice a year, for ten years, often hosting family and/or friends. I became somewhat of an expert on the subject of getting the most out of a WDW vacation, contributed to travelogues and travel web sites, etc. It was really interesting for quite a while. While I still enjoy visiting WDW, I'm ready for a "break" of a year or two, before my next trip back. Furthermore, I have less interest in keeping so closely in-touch with the subject, surely too little to remain anything close to an "expert" in it! I've burned out!

I suppose, with cruising, I've gotten a new obsession now (and quite frankly, a more expensive one!) My wife has been pushing for years, and now that I've agreed, I find a lot of interest in not just "going on a cruise" but also learning as much about cruising as I had learned about WDW over the last ten years, and in engaging in the community of people interested in cruising, as I had engaged in the community of folks interested in Disney vacations for so many years. These subjects seem to foster rich communities, so there is clearly some affinity between the two types of vacations, an affinity shared by some other types of vacation travel, such as RVing, hiking/climbing/caving, and hunting/fishing vacations. Other types of (routine) vacation travel don't seem to foster communities like this, and not suprisingly don't seem to foster the kind of excitement that Sun_Diva was referring to.
Old July 5th, 2004, 10:41 AM
Irishjayne

My hubby and I are going to be first timers as well in November. We will be on the Saphhire Princess for 10 days to the Mexican Riviers with 37 people from our golf course. Sailing out of San Francisco. We live 30 miles north of Golden Gate Bridge.

I am so excited I can't stand it. My hubby thinks I am nutts. I read these boards everyday to pick up tips that I may be able to use. Nice people on here and very helpful. Have sent emails to some with great reponses.

I have even started my packing list. I want to be ready to go when the time finally gets here. Going to have a Bon Voyage party the weekend before we leave for everyone to get as excited as me.

Jayne
Old July 7th, 2004, 09:03 PM
Passenger

Heck YEAH!!
I am thrilled!!

We walked into a travel agency just to get 'info' and walked out 20 minutes later with a booked cruise just over a month away! My gyrlfriend and I are going on our very 1st cruise together. We are looking forward to sharing a new experience together and having something exciting to talk about. Just thinking about it has it's own amount of excitement. I just hope that it is 'same sex couple friendly'.

Lipz*
IMAGINATION Aug. 26-30, 2004
Old July 11th, 2004, 07:21 PM
First Mate

We're going on our first cruise in August - on the Inspiration - and believe me when I say we're excited. When we first planned this trip - we had 27 weeks to go, - now we are down to 6 weeks !! I had my entire computer desk surrounded with little "tear-offs" - that started back at day 147.(in April).... and now I'm looking at #41 - that's a lot of strips torn off to get to this point.

We've been working on our list for months - and have the suitcases laying in our spare room - occasionally dropping in the odd items that we've picked up for the cruise. The clothes will wait until closer to the end, just so they don't wrinkle too bad.

Cruising has been our dream for such a long time - and now it's finally going to happen. It truly is a dream come true.

Happy cruising to you all - I'm sure this will be our FIRST, and most certainly, will NOT be our last !!
Old July 13th, 2004, 12:32 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to FIREKILLER

Sun Diva, just like you I have been excited about our first cruise. Sleepless nights thinking about it and constantly on this site. Will be going this week. I'll have some post when we get back.

TRIUMPH 07/04
Old July 18th, 2004, 11:38 PM
chris&jeff

Sun-Diva, I'm just as happy and excited as you are to be going on our first cruise in November - the Grand Princess to the Western Caribbean - celebrating our 22nd anniversary which will also be our honeymoon. We have never taken a vacation! I've been driving my husband crazy since I booked the cruise on March 8. I am ready to walk out of the door and get on the ship now. All I would have to do is take our cruise clothes, accessories and gear that I have already shopped for out of my "cruise closet," put them in the newly purchased suitcases and head for Galveston! It's practically all that I can think about. My co-workers have started to countdown the days for me! So, in answer to your question, count me among the super happy with the others who responded to your question.

Old July 19th, 2004, 08:03 PM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to Doreen
Default Re: Re: Anyone Else Super Happy?

I WIN!!! I'M THE MOST HAPPIEST OF ALL...I LEAVE ON MY 1ST CRUISE EVER IN 4 DAYS...I HAVEN'T BEEN ABLE TO SLEEP-EAT-OR ANYTHING ELSE...I'm on the Triumph stopping at Cozumel,Grand Cayman, Ocho Rios...never been anywhere either...I'll take the medal please...

Triumph 7-24-04
Old July 20th, 2004, 10:29 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: Re: Anyone Else Super Happy?

And I will give you the medal! Enjoy your first cruise and vacation!
My first cruise is soon also, and I'm having the same problem, it's all I can think about.
Old July 20th, 2004, 08:47 PM
Passenger

Send a message via MSN to aquagal
Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Anyone Else Super Happy?

Sun Diva, you got all these responses, now where did you go?? I haven't even booked my first cruise yet, but am very happy and excited about the thought of cruising soon!!! Lots of nice people on here, hope everyone has a great cruise. I'll book one soon I hope!

Vicky
Old July 21st, 2004, 12:27 PM
Cruise Maniac

ME ME ME! I cruise in a few weeks! First time!

Voyager of the Seas 7/05
Voyager of the Seas 8/04
Old August 28th, 2004, 11:31 PM
First Mate

Gail, Nancy, Les and Dan are SUPER HAPPY!
We are going on our first cruise on Sept. 24th on the Grandeur. It will be my husband's first time out of Ontario, and it will also be the honeymoon we never had back in 1983.
It will also be my sister and her husband's first holiday in years...so as you can tell we are very excited and CAN'T wait.....when we booked it was 70 something days til we leave and now its under a month!! Time sure flies!!

Happy Cruising Everyone

Gail

Old August 29th, 2004, 10:56 AM
JVC

Hi all - I was getting excited just reading about everyone's excitement! My DH thinks I am a nut too. We are going on our first cruise on 9/12/04 - Pride - Mexican Riviera and I've been looking at everyone's helpful posts for a while now. He'll be glad when I am prepared with my duct tape and night light! Have terrific cruises everyone!
Old August 29th, 2004, 12:41 PM
Yeoman

Send a message via Yahoo to karessamom

I, too am a "basket case" and i have to wait 'til Aug 2005! We are going on the conquest to celebrate our 20th anniversary! I am sooo excited and feel like a kid a christmas and driving everyone crazy too! We haven't been that many places outside the western united states so we're really looking forward to this. Mostly our past vacations consist of driving to AZ, or CA so this will be really fun. My daughter hates me tho--because she's not going to get to go -(lol) but we plan on booking another one soon and we'll take our children--just not this first one. BTW--we have our hotel in NO booked and plan within the next 3-4 months getting the cruise paid off and watching for good airefare deals.
this is e xciteing!!

Old August 30th, 2004, 04:16 PM
Passenger

Me too ................but the count down clock moves way too slow

Old August 30th, 2004, 04:27 PM
Yeoman

Send a message via Yahoo to karessamom

I was going to say something too--i don't know how many of you are familiar with a song from "Brother Bear" Phill Colins sings it--"Tell Everybody I'm on My Way" Every time i hear that song for some reason i think of the up coming cruise-kinda funny but listening to the words it sorta applies.

Old September 14th, 2004, 11:43 PM
twx1

I am also looking forward to my first cruise, and I want to talk about it with everyone I know! I have wanted to go on one for a while, but it was hard to co-ordinate with other people, so it just kept getting put off. Finally last week I booked a cruise for myself.

Is there anything special that a person who is cruising by herself needs to know?

Is there any way to make the time go faster?

My cruise is a 4 day to Baja leaving March 7, 2005.
Old September 21st, 2004, 12:38 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: Anyone Else Super Happy?

I will also be taking my first cruise in January on the new Carnival ship, the Valor! I'm BEYOND excited and the days seem to putt by!! There are 6 of us going so far and I can't wait to board the ship and sail away to sun and fun!!!

Wishing all first timers the best of times on your first cruise!!!

We don't stop playing because we grow old...we grow old because we stop playing!
Old September 25th, 2004, 09:38 AM
Beginner

WE'RE GOING IN NOV. TOO. THIS IS OUR FIRST CRUISE FOR OUR 1ST ANNV.I CAN'T WAIT.WE WILL BE ON THE SENSATION.11-20-04. WHICH ARE YOU GOING ON?
Old September 28th, 2004, 05:45 PM
Beginner

Send a message via AIM to Banditsmom

Hey SunDiva, happy sailing. I will be taking my first cruise also in April 2005, 11-day caribbean cruise on the Dawn Princess. I can hardly wait, it's all I think about so I know how you feel. All I do is research, research, research!!!! Well here's to all of us first timers and hopefully repeat cruisers. Have a wonderful time!!!!!!