Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > First-Time Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

First-Time Cruisers Novices ask here & No question is too silly!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 2nd, 2004, 04:49 PM
KT

Default tanning?

I'm currently tanning before my trip, but my husband won't go. I will probably have to bug him everyday to put a ton of sun block on too. He fried when we spent one day at the Dells this summer and was pretty uncomfortable. I don't want any beach plans ruined because's burned (or worse, sick from the sun)!

Advice?
Sponsored Links
Old December 2nd, 2004, 06:20 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default Re: tanning?

Hi KT,
I too always start tanning at least a month before a cruise. Its just made such a huge difference. I too used to get that burn no matter how much sun screen I put on, this way I go with a base and just tan, but still use a good sun screen. I even have my husband go, he's very fair skinned and he too noticed a difference, so keep trying to get your husband to go, even if its twice a week 2 weeks before the cruise, should help.

Best of luck!

Message Boards Moderator
Old December 3rd, 2004, 12:51 AM
Passenger

KT
I went on my first cruise in Oct. with my daughters. I tanned very minimaly before I went and one of my daughters didn't at all. The first couple of days she used 30 spf and applied it probably once every hour. Well, she didn't get any sun! I used 15 spf and did't burn but got darker. The last day my daughter decided not to use anything because she wanted to get some color. Against my advice. I told her to just use the 15 and still apply it every hour, but you know mothers don't know what they're talking about. Boy did she burn! And it was over cast most of the day. She was hurting that night. Also, I should mention that she is pretty fair skinned.
I don't know if that helps, but I wouldn't want a sunburn to ruin my cruise. Good Luck and have a wonderful time, I did!
Sue
Old December 3rd, 2004, 02:16 AM
pg

I do not believe it when people say they used a good sunscreen and still got a burn,.if used correctly( which most people do not do ) a good sunscreen waterproof , 30 sFP and generously applied before and during sun exsposure you will not get a burn.

My husband is very fair( pale blonde hair, blue eyes) and has had 8 pre cancerous moles removed, plus his brother has already had sking cancer( so there is a history there) . He uses Ombrelle 30 or 45. It was recommended by his dermatologist. It is water proof and paba free( he like many people is sensitive to paba) .

Sunscreen should be applied before one leaves the cabin. Put on LOTS, not a quarter size amount, I mean a small palm full. Soak your self from head to toe. Reapply every two hours or when you get out of water( because although the product is water proof it is not "rub " proof, and most people roll around on their towels and wipe their faces after swimming, hence sunscreen is removed.

So even if your hubby doesn't pre tan he can still vacation without burning, my hubby comes home whiter then when he left sometimes!
Old December 3rd, 2004, 09:25 AM
Admiral

Sunscreen is a must, no ifs, ands or buts, even for you who have a base tan. I bring two stengths of SPF on a cruise. I am fair-skinned also. I start with a factor 30 for the first few days and then switch to a factor 15 if i have gotten a decent base tan. I don't sit in the sun and "bake" all day, too much to do and see. Sunscreen for the lips is also a must bring! don't forget to apply your sunscreen to your exposed ears, tops and bottoms of your feet ( Owwwie have you ever burned the bottom of your feet??) and any balding parts of the scalp, when not wearing a hat.
If DH won't go tanning, make sure he applies the sunscreen, as you said you don't want him to get sick. Also pack the Aloe burn gel with Lidocaine. Its the best for sunburns, keep it in the fridge, it feels soo AHHHH on hot burned skin.
Old December 3rd, 2004, 12:16 PM
Passenger

KT
Sorry, I should have gone into more detail when I said I recommended the 15spf lotion to my daughter. She didn't use even it and that is why she burned.! Therefore if your husband does use a lotion and use it as directed it would be better than nothing. And pg is right about putting it on in your cabin,because whatever area you didn't apply it, will burn.
Old December 18th, 2004, 09:01 PM
Cruise Maniac

I always burn in the hot sun but for my last cruise I tanned and I was fine and came home golden.

Enchantment Of The Seas

Explorer of the Seas Winter Get Away -- back to the aft cabin