Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > First-Time Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

First-Time Cruisers Novices ask here & No question is too silly!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 6th, 2005, 06:38 AM
Don Smith

Default First Time Questions

Wife and I are on a cruise leaving Charleston,S.C., in October of this year. I have some questions I hope some person will answer for us.

1. How do we go about getting into the floor show or the Vegas styled show on the boat, and is there a fee for this?

2. My wife's birth certificate lists her name as Tamra, and her drivers and all other identification lists her name as Tamara. Will this cause a problem in entering the boat for the cruise?

3. Our room has a balcony and is on the Lido deck. This is the same floor as the buffet. Is this an OK place to be?

4. I am a tipper. I know you tip room service with cash, but is it acceptable to tip others on board with cash, at time of service, or is that frowned upon?

5. Is the tea they serve onboard sweet or unsweetened?

Thanks to all that respond. I will send a review of our first time upon returning in the fall.
Sponsored Links
Old February 6th, 2005, 03:32 PM
Admiral

Default Re: First Time Questions

Don - what line are you travelling on? Most things are the same whatever line, but I can only speak for Carnival. You just walk into the show lounge and take your seat - no charge. Get there early though the good seats fill up fast. I would check with the cruise line on the name question. At least on the Lido deck you are close to the food - maybe a bit noisy when the pools are open but otherwise should be fine. We only tipped room service with cash - all the rest went on the sign and sail card. The tea - iced tea? was definately unsweetened. I have seen others suggest mixing it with a little lemonade - adds sweetness and lemon flavour. Have a great cruise ttfn Jennifer
Old February 6th, 2005, 04:28 PM
Don Smith

Thank you. Hazelson, for the response. We are booked on Carnival "Triumph".
Old February 7th, 2005, 10:36 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: First Time Questions

Cabins on the Lido deck on Triumph are well insulated from the noise and are actually very convenient to the pool area and the lido deck buffet area beyond.
The shows are first come first seated basis and are free with no tickets reservations or any action on your part other than showing up. With extremely rare exception you will have no problem being seated. Iced tea on Carnival is unsweetened and available 24/7 in your nearby Lido deck food area.
Tip room service waiter $1 or $2 but no one else needs a cash tip. Bartenders and bar service waiters have a tip built in to the tab, they need no more. You can have all other tips taken care of through the auto tipping on board and not worry one bit about it.
I doubt the name thing would be an issue, but the best ID is a passport and that would preclude your need for other forms of ID.
Old February 8th, 2005, 04:20 AM
Cruise Maniac

1. No fee, just walk in, get there earlier for better seating.

2. I don't know

3. I am on that deck and I am leaving in March, I can let you know how it is but if I am correct you will not be affected by it the rooms are more towards the front, keep in mind I am shooting from memory and where my room is.

4. Read Papabill he said it the best

5. again read Papabill, I didn't know that answer.

Goodluck and have fun, you just need to sit back and relax on your criuse.
Old February 8th, 2005, 09:00 AM
Admiral

Don, the name on your wive's birth certificate is the legal spelling of her name. You have plenty of time to get a passport or to get her driver's licence changed. It probably won't matter, but things could change drastically between now and October, get a passport and you will have no worries.
Old February 8th, 2005, 04:56 PM
Don Smith

Again, thanks for all the good answers. We have decided to get passports and have no worries associated with name. I am certain we will love cruising as I find it easy to enjoy many things.
Old February 9th, 2005, 05:38 PM
Admiral

Don,

Some people like early dinner seating because it allows them to get to the theatre show before the late dinner seating crowds leaves dinner. They will get the best seats.

(something to consider if you really want a good seat)

Regards,
Thomas
Old February 24th, 2005, 10:49 AM
Cruise Maniac

Don, I'm not understanding your reply.

On Carnival, early diners go to the early show, and late diners go to the late show. Works out well, as everybody can find a seat at their 'respective' times.
Old February 24th, 2005, 05:17 PM
Don Smith

Cotton, I hope that it is you that is confused. I hope you were directing your comment to Thomas, not me.
That being said, I love your name. It speaks to me as a southern person that had friends that grew cotton for a living.
Old March 3rd, 2005, 04:42 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cassandra

Don, since you aren't leaving until October, tell your wife to get a passport. It will cause less headaches vs. trying to explain everywhere why there are 2 different names. Once you get a passport, you never have to worry about your birth certificate ever again!

But your best bet? Call the cruise line directly and ask them. Lots of new funky rules since 9/11. Especially if you guys get to the airport & they won't let her board the plane since her driver's license says one name and the birth certificate says another, even if the difference is only 1 letter. Better safe than sorry....
Old April 3rd, 2005, 08:29 PM
jhinckiii

This is our first cruise; the Celebrity Summit in Alaska; is it permissible to bring wine on board for consumption within your room?
Old April 7th, 2005, 07:26 AM
teresag

Don,

While I can't answer your questions, I did want to let you know that we are doing the Bahama cruise on the Triumph in May. I would be glad to answer any questions you might have when we return. I am so excited to be cruising out of Charleston which just happens to be my favorite Southern city! We have a balcony room on the Verandah deck and are just thrilled that it coming up fast--53 days and counting.
Old April 7th, 2005, 05:43 PM
Don Smith

teresag, my home town is Myrtle Beach and we go to Charleston to escape the tourists in our area due to the city having such a different flair than any other city in our state. It is a very warm and welcoming city with lots to see. Tried to convince my kids to attend college there, but the son would not due to the strictness of the Citadel. He has now become a Captain in the Marines. My step daughter is a College of Charleston graduate and lives there now.

I would love to read all about your trip on this board upon your return. I hope you have a wonderful time. I told my wife this morning that I have fun every day at work so it will be easy to have fun on a cruise.
Old April 7th, 2005, 07:35 PM
teresag

Don,

We are in Charlotte, NC so cruising from Charleston makes an easy drive for us too. I can see how you would need a vacation from Myrtle Beach as it seems to just get larger and larger and packed during summer months, but hey--everyone loves Myrtle Beach! Charleston on the other hand is the most picturesque quaint city I have ever seen. We visted last year during the Hunley Memorial and were able to enjoy firsthand the history of this city.

Let me know if you have anything specific you want me to find out for you and I will report back when I return. This will be our first cruise with our young kids so it certainly will be interesting!
Old April 7th, 2005, 09:13 PM
Don Smith

You will understand this and not many on this board will. I am a shag addict. It is my life and I own almost every song that ever has been or is made on a weekly basis that is shag. It is my weakness. I purchased 123 Cds last year. I paid for 126 songs via internet download last year. I would like to know if you hear any motown or blues while on the ship being played that sounds like you could dance to it. ( I told you it is a sickness)
Old April 8th, 2005, 06:03 AM
teresag

I will be glad to check on that for you. Shag certainly is a southern Myrtle Beach tradition as much as The Bowery in Myrtle Beach. Now I know why you live there--as if you needed a reason. Not too terribly long ago there was a movie' "Shag" it had Ally Sheedy in it and was so good and full of shag music. I'll let you know if I find any music you guys can shag to. By the way, my shag lessons were short lived, but I can shag some--not great though.