Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > First-Time Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

First-Time Cruisers Novices ask here & No question is too silly!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 5th, 2006, 05:37 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to ColoradoSweetheart Send a message via MSN to ColoradoSweetheart Send a message via Yahoo to ColoradoSweetheart
Default Cruising with Psoriasis

DH has psoriasis and is freaked out and refusing to go near a public ship when we go next year, does anyone else suffer from this and what have you done to feel more comfortable.
Sponsored Links
Old March 5th, 2006, 07:03 PM
Administrator
Admiral

I have psoriasis and there are times it flares up fairly bad. I have it on the hands, elbows, knees, legs, and feet and some other areas I won't mention. I don't know how severe your husbands psoriasis is but I know it can be a problem both physically and emotionally. You will find that people on cruise ships are extremely accepting once they know about you. They are there to have fun.

There are a couple of things to do:

1. The sun helps (in moderation) if his medication doesn't increase the chance of burning. I always find that my psoriasis becomes better when I cruise. It can be a mixture of the sun and just being more relaxed.

2. Keep moisturized and make sure he uses his medication, if he does use medication. It sure is easy to forget to put on topical medication when you are on vacation. If he takes oral medication, makes sure he also takes that. Also moisturize after going in the pool and ocean. Chlorine and saltwater raise heck with psoriasis. Chlorine is worse.

3. If anyone asks, just tell them that you have psoriasis. Most people understand and the ones that don't........... to heck with them. I think you will find very few of these people.

You can always do some cover ups if it is more severe. Don't let it ruin his vacation. If he gets through daily life with it a cruise is nothing!!

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old March 5th, 2006, 07:58 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to ColoradoSweetheart Send a message via MSN to ColoradoSweetheart Send a message via Yahoo to ColoradoSweetheart

Thank you, I printed that out for him, as well as another poster pm'd me with some info. Actually by the time we leave all the kids will be graduated and out and the less stress is usually when he starts to clear somewhat. Thank you again.
Old March 8th, 2006, 01:41 PM
Admiral

Wise to listen to Mike, he's part of the Cruisemates staff and has been on more cruises than captain Nemo himself! I have very mild Psoriasis too. A little cortisone ointment always takes care of mine. Nice to see someone else from Denver on the board! Bon voyage

Polynesia, Carib. '86
Cr. Odyssey, Scandinavia, '91, 30 Day S Pac. 2002
Crystal Harm, Aust., N.Z., '94
Royal Odyssey, AK,'96
Old Cr. Pr. Canal, '97
RCCL, Carib, 1998
Volendam, Car, 2000
Ryndam, 35 day S. Am., Antarctica, '03
Is. Pr., Canal, 2004
Statendam, 34 day China, Japan, AK '06
Cr.Pr., Carib. 08
Eurodam, Atlantic, Med. '10
Golden Princess
Old March 8th, 2006, 02:52 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by richstacy
Wise to listen to Mike, he's part of the Cruisemates staff and has been on more cruises than captain Nemo himself! I have very mild Psoriasis too. A little cortisone ointment always takes care of mine. Nice to see someone else from Denver on the board! Bon voyage

Hello fellow Denverite .... nice to see another. I can't wait for our first cruise, DH is still reluctant but it's my dream, so we will go ... .
His actually gets worse with stress and with 2 graduating senior girls and a 21 yr old college daughter ... it's not been easy. So thinking his stress will lessen soon. Thanks for the info.
Old April 18th, 2006, 05:56 PM
Beginner

I to have psoriasis but fortunately it is only on my scalp. I just started using Enbrel for it and will have to carry this medication on the ship. They are injections so I hope I dont have problems having needles in my room. Would they have to be taken to the medical place they have on the boat?
Old April 19th, 2006, 09:56 AM
Admiral

carrie- you will need a note from your doctor and a copy of your prescription. Pack your meds in your carry-on, show the note & prescription to the screener before your carry-on goes thru the scanner. This applies to the airline and cruise ship. It probably would be a good idea to inform Special Services that you will be brining aboard syringes & medication, regarding disposal of your used syringes.
Old April 20th, 2006, 10:07 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Enbrel must be kept refrigerated. If your room does not have a refrigerator make arrangements with the medical facility to store your dosage. They could also store your equipment unless you are dosing more than once per week otherwise your cabin steward can get you a "Sharps Container".

Lisa is correct in what you need for travel. There are some nice travel packs available for transporting injectable equipment that must be kept cold. Ask your pharmacist or doctor about them.

Take care and have a great trip.
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old April 21st, 2006, 10:30 AM
Admiral

ColoradoSweetheart - I don't know much about this disease, but in regards to clothing, you can find plenty of lightweight, brezzy fabrics, shirts with long-sleeves, tropical weight pants.
Travelsmith, LL Bean, Land's End, Cabella's all make lightweight, quick-drying active/leisure wear.
hope this helps some.
Old May 14th, 2007, 02:25 PM
Passenger

Default Just an update ...

We did book a cruise for March 2, 2008; Western Caribbean on Carnival Legend, and he's worried people are going to say something. I feel so bad for him and due to work stress it's flared significantly lately. Thanks for all the advice.
Old May 16th, 2007, 06:04 PM
Captain

I agree with Mike the sun does wonders for my "P"
but if he has topical meds with coal tar he should be careful in the sun.
I find the salt water actually helps with the scaling ...after a few days I just have red patches and no scales.

People are a lot more informed about "P" now than 30 yrs ago when I was DX.

I would just ignore people ...who cares what they think...if they ask or see them staring I just say "I have Psorasis" ...most know someone who has it and just move on!!

Tell him to enjoy the cruise and not to worry about what others think ...everyone has some problem
Old June 7th, 2007, 05:05 PM
Passenger

I have one better for you with 'P'. I have a diease called Neurofibromatosis. I have small tumors all over my body (which is why I can't wear a swim suit anymore). They are on my face, arms, stomach, etc. And like Mike says once people get to know you they won't even notice what is wrong with you. For all the others out there ignore them. You on a cruise to have a good time so go out and have a good time and don't worry about what other people think or what "you think" they are thinking. Just remember that there will always be someone worst off than you (think of me, my diease will only get worst not better). When I start feeling sorry for myself I think about someone who was serious disfigured because her ex-husband threw acid on her face, or the young man at the hospital my sister works at that had half his face blown off while serving in Desert Storm. We are only given one life to live so live it to the fullest. Believe me I have made a lot of lemonade in my life with the basket of lemons God has given me.