Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > First-Time Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

First-Time Cruisers Novices ask here & No question is too silly!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 3rd, 2007, 07:35 PM
Familiar Face

Default New to Cruising -Going To Alaska

Hi everyone. My husband and I are new to cruising. I was finally able tt talk him into going only if we went to Alaska. Not my first chioice (I would rather go somewhere warm) but really want to make this the best cruise in hopes he will want to go again ( to a warm place) We already have a vaacation planned for this year so we are planning to go to Alaska next May. My husband likes to be comfortable so we will get a balcony room. My question is which cruise line to take. So for those of you who have cruised to Alaska which cruise line did you take and why ?. Thanks so much for all your halp.
Sponsored Links
Old June 4th, 2007, 01:48 AM
Beginner

Hello, We just came back from our first cruise. We went to alaska on the golden princess. We took the 7 day inside passage trip. We liked it very much. We also had a balcony room and for us it was well worth it. We were on the caribe deck and had a big balcony. The deck below us was half the size of ours and no covering. It depends on what you are looking for in a cruise as to who to go with. We were looking for privacy and some real downtime, not alot of socializing. And for us it was great. I read alot of cruise reviews and based our deicision on that and on other people we know who had cruised before. The only thing I would have liked more was less ports and more time cruising the coastline but the ports were fun. Next time we are going to do a longer cruise with more emphasis on the scenery and wildlife. I suggest reading the excursions very carefully if you are planning on doing any of these. We did 2 excursions and was not impressed with them. I will just go on my own next time. Hope this helps and if you have any questions about the princess I will be happy to help. Lisa
Old June 5th, 2007, 10:35 AM
Familiar Face

We just returned from the inland passage in May. I hope next May you have the weather we had. Nothing but blue skies and sunshine. The pictures we took of the glaciers were amazing. We did post some on this website under the photo gallery if you want to take a look. We sailed on Holland America and the Zaandam. Second crusie for us on this cruise line and we loved every minute of it. HAL is a more "traditional " cruise line meaning not so much on kids activities or party people but more on great food, great service and friendly fellow cruisers. My husband and I wanted a more romantic getaway and HAL is perfect for that. We had been to two of the ports before, Ketchikan and Juneau so just walked around there. In Skagway we took the White Pass Railroad and the beautiful weather just added to the unbelivable scenery. Alaska is beautiful and because you mentioned you like it warm, be aware the week we cruised the temps were in the high 40's to 60's Didn't wear the gloves or hats we brought so it may not be as cool as you think.

Read and post cruise reviews
Old June 5th, 2007, 12:19 PM
Familiar Face

Thanks for the replies. Since I am aware it gets cold I will surely bring warm clothes.I know the scenery will be beautiful . We have friends that used to live in Alaska so we have heard alot about it. I really want the expericnce on the ship to be great (don't we all) because it has taken me a few years to get my husband to go on a cruise. We are in our early 50's and past the party stage but want a lively group to go with. I am wondering how did you pick your cruise line? Did you do the research yourself or did you call a TA and tell them what you were looking for? Thanks again
Old June 6th, 2007, 05:32 PM
Admiral

Default Re: New to Cruising - Going To Alaska

Alas, MDMC, I'm an auditor and a risk reducer. May is bargain time, but the weather can be a tad iffy. For my first cruise to Alaska I went the last week of July (better good weather probability) and on an SEA-SEA roundtrip (easier entry and exit). Some of y'all hotelers cannot live without balconies, but I had a monster one two weeks ago in Vancouver and it got virtually no use (May = cooler weather). Good thing I paid no premium for it. 8) What is the comfortable hot point for the family? If not regular cruisers, you may wish to assure you are comfortable with your room size.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdmc
Hi everyone. My husband and I are new to cruising. I was finally able tt talk him into going only if we went to Alaska. Not my first chioice (I would rather go somewhere warm) but really want to make this the best cruise in hopes he will want to go again ( to a warm place) We already have a vaacation planned for this year so we are planning to go to Alaska next May. My husband likes to be comfortable so we will get a balcony room. My question is which cruise line to take. So for those of you who have cruised to Alaska which cruise line did you take and why ?. Thanks so much for all your halp.
Amadeus:09 Diamond;Celebrity:10 Summit; HAL: 87 Rotterdam V,89 Nieuw Amsterdam II,93 Nordam III,94 Ryndam III,96 Westerdam III,99 Veendam IV,01 Maasdam V,02 Amsterdam III,03 Volendam III,03 Zuiderdam II,04 Westerdam IV,04 Oosterdam I,05 Zaandam III,06 Statendam V,06 Prinsendam II,07 Nordam IV,08 Eurodam I,08 Rotterdam VI,09 Veendam IV,09 Volendam,10 Nieuw Amsterdam IV,12 Ryndam III;11 P&O:Artemis;RC:07 Splendour of the Seas,11 Navigator of the Seas,12 Majesty of the Seas