Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > First-Time Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

First-Time Cruisers Novices ask here & No question is too silly!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 9th, 2011, 11:18 PM
Familiar Face

Red face First time cruisers: What is your biggest concern?

Hello all. I found this question on another board and I hope I won't be flamed for board-dragging, but I wanted to bring this here because people here have seemed very warm and friendly and encouraging, and THIS was my response to the question "What is your biggest concern?"

Let's see-

Missing the flight, missing the boat, missing the shows I really want because I'm stuck in the dining room for 2 and a half freakin' hours!

Deciding between eating in the dining room because it's paid for and blowing money on MORE CHOICES!

Wanting to try new dishes but looking like a pig if I hate it and ask for something else instead.

Trying to do an 'on your own' shore excursion with my kids and getting lost or kidnapped or mugged and murdered.

Intense desire to have something fruity and buzz-inducing by the pool or at the Rita's Fiesta party without feeling like I'm setting a bad example for my kids. Feeling guilty about leaving them on their own while I go to the Fiesta or one of the clubs.

Deciding between spending money on shore excursions or just walking or cabbing to the beach.

Wondering if I should scrap the whole idea and save the money and use it on something practical and responsible.

Iceburgs. Lifeboats. Abusive fiance's. You get the idea.

(Kidding about those last three, obvs.)

And I realize of course that what I do or how I react to each of these is entirely within my control, and I have FIFTEEN MONTHS to work all this stuff out and I need to just chill, but hey, at least I'm not worried about falling overboard! I know, big change from 'happy and hyper' isn't it? I just do that sometimes. Read: ALOT.

New to Cruising- UNTIL...

Allure of the Seas- 2012!

The Crew:

Captain Mama D- 38 (Me)
First Mate- Daughter Shannon- 18
Second Mate- Daughter Jasmine- 18

and The Swab- Little Man Adam- 11
Sponsored Links
Old February 23rd, 2011, 04:16 PM
Welcome Newcomer

- that my passport won't come in on time! I have to renew mines and DH has never had one- so we are applying this Sat. I think we may have to do expedited which sucks because I would rather use that money to spend on something for the cruise. We are doing a loop cruise (begins and ends in MIA), so technically we don't need it, but I don't want to be a nervous wreck when I first check-in to board or when we dock in Cozumel (the ports of call are Key West and Cozumel). I'd rather just have it so that I will be good from now on (well for 10 years anyway ). AND having it will allow us to book last minute trips that have great deals that aren't cruises (ie: DR has GREAT all inclusive deals during the off season)
Old February 25th, 2011, 10:35 AM
Captain

Smile Paper work is correct

I think my biggest concern at this time is that my paper work is all correct and that they wont denie us acess to board the ship!29 days untill we sail to hawaii on a 14 day cruise with a balcony (fist Cruise YAAAA) I plan on calling the T.A any day now just to double check on everything!
Old March 2nd, 2011, 05:20 PM
Welcome Newcomer

My biggest fear is my hubby not having a good time, the movement of the boat making him sick etc.. He is a high strung person naturally and gets bored if he has nothing to do. Hopefully our friends will be booking with us so both of the boys can keep each other company. They are exactly the same when it comes to relaxing, they don't know how to do it.
We haven't booked yet, but plan on going on our 1st cruise in October when the Triumph comes to Galveston. Our friends have taken one cruise before so i think that could be a plus when it comes to my hubbys anxiety and stress. We've been to Mexico before (9 years ago) and he didn't really enjoy it much, but it rained most of the trip and being stuck in the hotel for 3 days would bum just about anyone out. So hopefully he will like the stops on the cruise.

Every day when i have free time @ work i'm on line looking at pictures from cruises, looking for deals etc.. I am excited and haven't even booked yet! I'm pretty sure i know what clothes i'd be packing too. I know, it's sad.
Old March 2nd, 2011, 06:56 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Missing the flight, missing the boat, missing the shows I really want because I'm stuck in the dining room for 2 and a half freakin' hours!

I know you haven't decided if you are flying or driving so...if you fly on the day of...book an early flight..if you precruise...A1A, the hotel corridor right by the port is an easy cab ride..NO ONE has an excuse for being late in Lauderdale

Deciding between eating in the dining room because it's paid for and blowing money on MORE CHOICES!

Plan on dining with all the free options...if you decide onboard,and your buget allows, screen the menus to see the best options for everybody.

Wanting to try new dishes but looking like a pig if I hate it and ask for something else instead.

Not to worry...one of the nice things is being able to try new dishes, or, if you really like one, have two...no one willl look askance.

Trying to do an 'on your own' shore excursion with my kids and getting lost or kidnapped or mugged and murdered.

I would, as this is your first cruise,and everything is new to you, keep everyone together onshore,and don't stray from the main streets.

Intense desire to have something fruity and buzz-inducing by the pool or at the Rita's Fiesta party without feeling like I'm setting a bad example for my kids. Feeling guilty about leaving them on their own while I go to the Fiesta or one of the clubs.

Having a foo foo occaisionally, will not have your kids thinking you are pulling a Lindsay Lohan Your kids, knowing how much you have saved for, and, wanted this wonderful family time would certainly be willing to watch the young ones, so you can have some me time.

Deciding between spending money on shore excursions or just walking or cabbing to the beach.

Walking to the beaches is really not an option in most cases,and not a good idea in mho....Public transportation may be in some of your ports.

Wondering if I should scrap the whole idea and save the money and use it on something practical and responsible.

Only you know if the costs could be better served somewhere else, but this trip, would be a wonderful memory maker....

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Last edited by Trip; March 2nd, 2011 at 10:10 PM.
Old March 2nd, 2011, 07:01 PM
Admiral

Yamahawife.
Will the Voyager be in Galveston, when you want to cruise? This ship may offer more for the boys to do, to occupy their time. If so, compare the ports to see if one itinerary, might capture their attention more the the other. Check out the RCI website to see what this ship offers vs the Triumph, which is an older ship..

Last edited by Trip; March 2nd, 2011 at 10:10 PM.
Old March 3rd, 2011, 05:32 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Trip,

It does not look like any RCI ships will be in Galveston at that time. Kinda weird, but maybe they will be moved to a new location or having maintenance done.
I know we have looked at their ships in the beginning of planning but the difference in price was a lot. Our friends went on the Ecstasy in September and loved it, they just wanted to try a bigger Carnival ship, and we didn't want to do a 7 day on our 1st cruise so we all decided the Triumph might be a good fit. I think they will find plenty to do, i just always worry he isn't enjoying himself when I am having a blast. I am just easy to please, give me sun, tanning lotion, a pool and a book and i'm good all afternoon. Our boys like things with motors that go fast in dirt or sand, so it's hard to keep them entertained no matter what we do. I bet they will bring some DVD's and a lap top so they can watch motocross or atv videos while us wives are getting sun.
Old March 3rd, 2011, 05:47 PM
Admiral

I love your attitude,and I bet the boys will, have a good time in spite of themselves

Old August 13th, 2011, 11:39 PM
Cruise Maniac

I have not booked yet, but I feel like I already did because I decided which cruise I want to take first. My top concerns are going to change over time but right now my big worry is the cabin I want will be booked before my mom sells her house.

Based on what has happened in the past, ongoing concerns that will not change for me include the weather because in June San Francisco was cold and the cruise I picked is in May. I will never forget being hot at Alcatraz because I thought I needed a sweatshirt that morning. At Yellowstone a few years ago I had a bunch of sweatshirts and needed a bunch of t-shirts. It seems like I can never pack right without overpacking.

Looking forward to cruising!

Read and post cruise reviews

Old August 14th, 2011, 01:06 PM
Cruise Maniac

Booked my first cruise the other day.

I'm going to fly into New York the day before because I don't want to take a chance of my flight getting cancelled and missing the flight. Hotel shuttle from airport to hotel. And I can arrange for my transportation from the hotel to the pier.

My biggest fear is arranging transportation from the pier to the airport on the day we get back into port. I plan on flying out that same day.

If I make arrangements for a car service to meet me at the pier on the day we get back, with so many people, how will I know which car is mine and vice versa.
Old August 15th, 2011, 02:31 AM
Cruise Maniac

Smile Almost ready to book it!

Drop my worry about cabins from the list. Someone on Cruise Critic told me to check it on princess.com by going through the checkout process (without actually booking it, of course) to see which AD cabins are still available. Two of them are E721 and E723. So now I know I did miss out on E711, but will not be too far aft because 717 is inside and Princess skips the number 13 on purpose.

Of course, to get E721, I have to book now. So I had a long conversation with my mom about it on Sunday. At first she told me to get more information first but hours later she said, "We will book the cruise tomorrow." That means I no longer have to worry about if I will get one of the best minisuites on the ship.

Old August 15th, 2011, 09:50 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Oh FC,
I think you and your mom made a good decision, may as well book the cabin you want and then no worries about it....Congrats!

Message Boards Moderator
Old August 15th, 2011, 09:59 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by perkydebrajean View Post
Booked my first cruise the other day.

I'm going to fly into New York the day before because I don't want to take a chance of my flight getting canceled and missing the flight. Hotel shuttle from airport to hotel. And I can arrange for my transportation from the hotel to the pier.

My biggest fear is arranging transportation from the pier to the airport on the day we get back into port. I plan on flying out that same day.

If I make arrangements for a car service to meet me at the pier on the day we get back, with so many people, how will I know which car is mine and vice versa.
There will be plenty of taxis waiting at the port. It will be a lot less hassle than a car service. You can also arrange transfers through the cruise line. Call your agent and they can give you the information and pricing or you can find it on the cruise line's website. Transfer information is usually in the "Excursions" area.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old November 15th, 2011, 10:41 AM
Familiar Face

I am not first time cruiser.

Q: What is your biggest concern?
A: That I will run out of money!

Old November 15th, 2011, 05:45 PM
Cruise Maniac

I am going on my second cruise solo next year and my biggest worry is the seating in the dining rooms. Will I be able to sit alone if I want to and, if so, will they seat me alone at a table that holds 10?
Old November 15th, 2011, 05:45 PM
Cruise Maniac

I just want to add I chose anytime dining.
Old November 15th, 2011, 08:55 PM
Captain

Send a message via AIM to fun2cruiz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden1 View Post
I just want to add I chose anytime dining.
Anytime dining allows you to sit by yourself, as a family, group, etc.... Key is that you may have to wait a bit for a table for 2 that will accommodate just one guest. Why would you think they will seat you at a table for 10 by yourself ? That would be a waste of space that they could use for other passengers dining ! One would think that at max. they would seat you at a table no larger than 4 seats, based on the demand of seats needed at the time you are dining.

"January"
Blizzard Flavored Treat & Cake Of The Month
"Strawberry CheeseQuake"
Old November 16th, 2011, 05:44 PM
Cruise Maniac

I sort of remember getting a weird reaction from the hostess on Princess when I asked if I could sit alone. He made it seem as if I would be sitting alone at a big table, so I wound up saying forget it and eating at the buffet. Anytime I went back to the dining room, I made sure I felt like sitting with company and was seated with other people. Living alone and being single, I dont always want to be social while eating dinner, especially after a long day in port, but still want to enjoy the ambiance of the main dining room.
Old February 25th, 2012, 12:57 PM
Cruise Maniac

This is a great question that should be asked on every cruise message board.

My biggest concerns are:

1. Mom will tell me what to do and not do on the ship.
2. My sister (if she goes) will annoy me multiple times.
3. I can't take my pills at the right times on port days.
4. What I want to do is not the same as what I will do.

All four of these would be history repeating itself. I wish I could take a solo cruise.

Old February 25th, 2012, 05:15 PM
Admiral

FC,
I think in a case like this, before you go, set some guidelines to cover all these issues that everyone agrees to...All in all, I think you will have more fun going with your family/friends than solo...

Be sure to let us know how it turns out....have fun!

Message Boards Moderator
Old March 3rd, 2012, 09:25 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna View Post
FC,
I think in a case like this, before you go, set some guidelines to cover all these issues that everyone agrees to. All in all, I think you will have more fun going with your family/friends than solo.

Be sure to let us know how it turns out. Have fun!
The only way to guarantee I will have no family-related issues during a vacation is to go alone. I also want to take cruises with a lot of sea days (Hawaii and transatlantic) and I know Mom absolutely will not consider them. But for my first cruise - Port Canaveral to Nassau and back - I will like having Mom onboard most of the time.

Old March 4th, 2012, 01:32 AM
Familiar Face

my two biggest concerns.

1) i book excursions independantly, arrive late and the ship leaves me
2) during an excursion one of my extremeties gets badly damaged beyond repair but needs immediate medical attention and i'm flown back to the states thus ending my long awaited vacation
Old March 5th, 2012, 02:57 PM
Cruise Maniac

Appleseeds, my travel agent told me he never had a client who did that and missed the ship. If thousands of cruisers can do it, you can too. Just make sure you are not taking a tour that ends less than an hour before you have to get back on the ship.

Old March 7th, 2012, 10:08 AM
Welcome Newcomer

Hi all,
I'm new to the forum, I found it because I've just booked my first cruise to the Med. for the summer! My biggest fears are that we won't have enough time in port, because many of the cities I want to see are inland, that the food on board won't be good. I love French and Italian, so I am a little disappointed that I won't get to have dinners off the ship.
Old March 7th, 2012, 10:55 AM
Admiral

Welcome Betty,
I have heard that this type of cruise is pretty port intensive and you will be busy. Just make the most in the ports you will be visiting. I am sure all the food onboard wil be very good, you shouldn't go hungry. Just have a great time.

In the meantime, if you have any questions, feel free to ask them here, lots of knowledgeable cruisers that have done this itinary and have some great tips.

What ship will you be on?

Message Boards Moderator
Old March 20th, 2012, 05:41 PM
Familiar Face

My biggest concern is getting sick on the cruise. I hate getting sick and not feeling up to the weather when traveling. I also fear the hurricanes during hurricane season not because of the damage they can cause but because of the rainy weather.
Old April 2nd, 2012, 09:56 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Since it's my first cruise in 11 years, I'm worried about the trip not meeting my expectations. I have high hopes because I'm going on the Oasis and it looks AMAZING! But I'm not a cruise person in general so I don't know what will happen.

Also concerned that it could snow the day we leave for Ft. Lauderdale for the ship. Not sure if we're flying down the day before or the day of, but I will be sad if I don't get to go on vacation!
Old May 16th, 2012, 08:33 AM
Familiar Face

Send a message via Skype™ to lisacan

For me there are many things which are really important.
  • Security
  • Proper Foods
  • Fun

Most of us will really want to have good time with there friends. Right ?
Old May 31st, 2012, 10:35 PM
Welcome Newcomer

My biggest concern is not sticking out like a complete idiot. I am taking my wife and 3 kids on the carnival fantasy to the Bahamas from Oct 2 to Oct 7. I nor my family have ever been on the ocean and my kids have never been on a boat let alone the open ocean. I just hope this will be a smooth and fun time for everyone but in the back of my mind I am freaking out from various views. 1. Will I miss the boat 2. Will I bring enough money 3. Will my kids behave like civilized children 4. Will I actually get off the boat. etc. The problems are any and all, I just want my family to have fun even if I am scared to death of sharks and water.....
Old June 12th, 2012, 12:45 PM
Familiar Face

Booked my first cruise for this September... first vacation ever really. My concerns are:

1. I'm a little shy at times - sitting at the dining tables with a lot of people I don't know might make me a little uncomfortable.
2. Not knowing anyone or meeting anyone/making friends - I'm single and am going alone - it's sad you can't even bribe company with a free cruise lol. I have to pay for two anyway so it's already paid for.
3. Not knowing what to do... afraid I'll be lost the whole time.
4. Not bringing the right things and not having what I need on the trip. I'm a guy and pretty much pack barebones anyway.