CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   First-Time Cruisers (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/first-time-cruisers/)
-   -   Alaska here I come! (27year old + 30year old) (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/first-time-cruisers/389517-alaska-here-i-come-27year-old-30year-old.html)

kkjones May 22nd, 2012 12:20 AM

Alaska here I come! (27year old + 30year old)

Holland America - Oosterdam (roundtrip Seattle) Sept 16-23
Norwegian Cruise Line - Norwegian Pearl (Seattle to Vancouver) Sept 16-23
Princess Cruises - Star Princess (roundtrip Seattle) Sept 16-23

My husband and I are going on a cruise for his 30th birthday, we are going to Alaska, hooray! Neither of us have ever been there. Has anyone been on any of these ships or up to Alaska during September? Any advice? What is the age group that tends to be on those cruises? I'm hoping that we can avoid the families and screaming kids for the most part, and ideally find some other couples around our age (or up to about 45) that we could make friends with and hang out.

Has anyone had a suite vs a balcony? Was it worth the price difference? I'll check back tomorrow and pray someone knows :) I'm really looking forward to this trip and definitely want to be able to get the best bang for my buck. Oh, and we are debating between the three because they are different cruise lines, and one goes to Glacier Bay, the other to Tracy Fjord, which is more "ice" laden in september, either? Or whales/other animals are in the area too. Basically any awesome information you can bestow upon me. I've googled until my fingers bled and am still kind of iffy.

Thanks in advance!

Kuki May 22nd, 2012 01:59 AM

I've cruised to Alaska in Sept. a couple of times, and have been very fortunate to have mostly excellent weather. You do have to pack so you can layer your clothing for warmth if necessary.

From the little bit you're told us about yourselves, I would eliminate Holland America. That time of year you won't find tons of kids on Alaska cruises, but as good as Holland America is, it will certainly be an older demographic on HAL.

Princess is more of a mix, but will still trend to a bit of an older crowd.

NCL will likely be the best blend as far as the demographic. I also love the choices of different restaurants on NCL, and in Alaska it's nice because you can dine whenever you want, and don't have to be rushing back from busy days in port to get ready for formal nights, etc. Casual dress is the order of the day everyday.

As far as suites VS balcony cabins. Suites are naturally great, but if the cost difference is substantial I'd opt for the balcony cabin, and spend the savings on some of the "adventure excursions" in Alaska... like the helicopter ride, landing on a glacier, and dog sledding, or going up to watch the bears feeding on salmon in the river, or some of the other flight-seeing adventures.

kkjones May 22nd, 2012 08:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kuki (Post 1429382)
I've cruised to Alaska in Sept. a couple of times, and have been very fortunate to have mostly excellent weather. You do have to pack so you can layer your clothing for warmth if necessary.

From the little bit you're told us about yourselves, I would eliminate Holland America. That time of year you won't find tons of kids on Alaska cruises, but as good as Holland America is, it will certainly be an older demographic on HAL.

Princess is more of a mix, but will still trend to a bit of an older crowd.

NCL will likely be the best blend as far as the demographic. I also love the choices of different restaurants on NCL, and in Alaska it's nice because you can dine whenever you want, and don't have to be rushing back from busy days in port to get ready for formal nights, etc. Casual dress is the order of the day everyday.

As far as suites VS balcony cabins. Suites are naturally great, but if the cost difference is substantial I'd opt for the balcony cabin, and spend the savings on some of the "adventure excursions" in Alaska... like the helicopter ride, landing on a glacier, and dog sledding, or going up to watch the bears feeding on salmon in the river, or some of the other flight-seeing adventures.

Thank you so much for your information :) We don't mind the "older demographic" as we get along famously with people older than us (just really struggle with the kids running amuck, seen them on other cruises and it can get exhausting just seeing them). I'll tell my husband about the NCL idea and see about excursions we could do with the difference in $$$. He was NAVY and wants to be on the ocean for his birthday, we live in Land Locked South Dakota now so he never sees the ocean and misses it terribly. Thanks again :)

karquist77 May 30th, 2012 10:02 AM

Hopefully, You two will spent a very beautiful time at cruse line in Alaska. Traveling become more fun if you can mange some one to share. Ho! Happy birth day. Wish you will be happy for ever ..

Fieldmouse May 30th, 2012 04:49 PM

Been to Alaska multiple times. Osterdam is a beautiful ship and had a great staff and crew last time we were on it.

Alaska is sooooo beautiful you wouldn't want to have a cabin with only a window. There is nothing as lovely as sailing by some of the most astounding visuals in the world on your balcony with a cup of coffee/tea or ??? My husband and I would sit out on the balcony and have breakfast almost everyday and enjoy the passing scenery, especially sailing through the Inside Passage. Truly unbelievable.

I think if you don't get at least a balcony cabin you will regret it.

Trackypup May 30th, 2012 05:49 PM

Just my opinion, but I wouldn't book any of them. Non of them go to Glacier Bay and they all involve Seattle which goes on the outside of Vancouver Island. It's not at all scenic and it can be a rocky ride.

I'd be looking at Sapphire Princess Vancouver Return on September 22nd. Zuiderdam sails the same day