CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   First-Time Cruisers (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/first-time-cruisers/)
-   -   First timers....Saying hello. (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/first-time-cruisers/400226-first-timers-saying-hello.html)

hejamada December 15th, 2013 12:40 PM

First timers....Saying hello.

Hi everyone. Such a pleasure to find this site, as we are, nervous, excited,
and starting to be just a little "overwhelmed"(sic). DW and i are in our mid
60's, and are booked on our bucket list cruise. 13 day cruise and tour on the
HAL oosterdam Sept.2nd, 2014. So.....we will be wearing this site out for as much info. as we can get. Been doing some reading already on here, and am
convinced from the generosity of info. from you all, by sail time, we should
WELL informed. Thanks to you all in advance!!

Kuki December 15th, 2013 12:51 PM

Welcome to the site! It sounds as if you're jumping in to a wonderful trip for your first cruise.

Definitely feel free to as any questions that come to mind. Don't be shy about jumping in to any thread.

hejamada December 15th, 2013 12:59 PM

Thanks so much for the welcome. Didn't mention in post, but it's an Alaskan
cruise. Hop to get some fishing in. Then i can expire a happy, contented man!!!

Donna December 15th, 2013 04:05 PM

Welcome Hejamada,
You will absolutely love cruising Alaska, it is a once in a lifetime kind of cruise. Be sure to start looking at some excursions and fishing....I may just do Alaska next summer as well.

Paul Motter December 16th, 2013 12:29 PM

Welcome ---

If you hope to get some fishing in here is what you will want to do...

Obviously, you can't fish from the ship, so you have to choose which port of call or stop (during you land portion) you want to use for your fishing experience. I assume you mean ocean fishing (not river) but I don;t know.

Let's say it is ocean fishing - pick the port that is most likely to be closest to the kind of fish you want to catch - say it is Juneau. Now go online and look for day fishing boat operators who will pick you up at the ship, drive you to their boat, take you out all day and then handle you catch in case you want to ship it home.

Most cruise lines will likely offer such fishing adventures, but I am sure you will save money and have a better time if you pre-arrange it.

DO look for someone who is an established operator of a boat, who does this for cruisers all the time (90% of Alaska tourism comes from cruise ships, so this is not hard to find). Look for letters of recommendation, etc.

Once you pick one stay in contact with them. Leave a deposit but do not pay in full unless you are sure they are reputable and that is their policy.

But to summarize, I am just trying to say that the best fishing arrangement will likely come from a third party, not arranged by the cruise line. You can easily set this up in advance over the Internet, so I recommend that.

Other things I recommend highly in Alaska - whale watching.

You just might be able to combine fishing with whale watching - since that is another activity you will arrange on a smaller boat while the ship is in a port of call.

Please send us your ship's itinerary so we know more about where you are going. And HAPPY CRUISING!

Trip December 16th, 2013 09:17 PM

Welcome to our forum....this is the place to ask away...so much info to share here...

Paul Motter December 17th, 2013 01:20 PM

You can easily book a whale watching cruise from the cruise line, however.

hejamada December 20th, 2013 09:08 PM

First Timers....

Hi All,
Thank you all for your replys. Been doing more reading about the fishing
in Ak. As for what type fishing, definately "ocean". Been reading that salmon,
halibut, and varden should be doable that time of year. Will be either in
Ketchikan, or Juneau. Itinerary.... Land in Fairbanks on Sept. 2, Land tour,
3 day Denali, 2 riverboat tours, Wilderness tour,leisure day Denali, Mckinley
Explorer tour, End of 5th day, cruise ship, 7 day, inside passage south bound,
with stops in Glasier Bay, Haines, Juneau, Ketchikan, to Vancover BC, with
extra day there. Board flight for home on 15th.
Been reading about independent tours at ports being less expensive, but also read some horror stories about possibly not getting back to ship on time, and being left. Being first timers, that is a bit troubling for us. The ship does offer 2 fishing tours. 1 at Juneau, a fly in, and 1 in Ketchikan for halibut. Wife wants to do Whale watching also, so will do that also.
And again, thank you all so kindly for your input.

storybookcruises.com December 20th, 2013 10:29 PM

We did a 13-night cruise tour on Holland America and it was awesome! HAL definitely knows how to do Alaska right, so you've selected a wonderful cruise tour.

As for cruise tours, don't listen to all the horror stories. If you book with a reputable independent company, you won't have any problem. We have a contract with Shore Trips and they will proudly tell you in the tens of thousands of bookings, no one has ever missed the ship! We've used them ourselves many times and have had hundreds of our clients use them without any problems whatsoever.

What those horror stories don't say is that 99.9% of the time, people who miss the ship or are late back to the ship are doing their own thing, lose track of time, or get lost. They are not using reputable independent companies.

But Alaska is definitely one of those places you need to do some shore excursions as it is truly a remarkable place to visit.

Pete

Kuki December 20th, 2013 11:25 PM

Though not a fisherman myself, I understand the fishing out of Ketchikan is the best.

I remember on one Alaska cruise the Captain's brother in law caught salmon, brought it onboard fresh, and since I happened to there to do a story on the Captain, we were served that salmon that evening.

Not likely something one can arrange if you're not Captain :), but that's where I learned that was the best port to fish from.