Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Gay / Lesbian Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

Gay / Lesbian Cruising Gay and Lesbian Cruiser's Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 15th, 2003, 07:01 PM
Soprano

Default Olivia - Mexican Riviera in January??

Hi! My partner and I are booked on the Olivia January '04 cruise on HAL's Statendam. This will be our second Olivia cruise, and we are looking for others to share our pre-trip excitement!
Sponsored Links
Old August 16th, 2003, 02:19 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Harry Martin
Default Re: Olivia - Mexican Riviera in January??

Soprano,

We love doing the Mexican Riviera! Been 3-4 times. Puerto Vallarta is so gorgoeus.

Got any port questions?

Harry
Old August 16th, 2003, 03:12 AM
Soprano

Default Re: Re: Olivia - Mexican Riviera in January??

Thanks Harry! I'd love to hear port recommendations for PV and Mazatlan. We're planning on doing a whale watching trip in Cabo (since it's the only port where it is offered).
Old August 16th, 2003, 02:21 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Re: Olivia - Mexican Riviera in January??

Soprano,

Should be a good time of the year for whale watching!

In Mazatlan, we booked a city tour (about 3 hours) in the pier terminal with Marlin tours for $13 each. Went all over the city, the cathedral, Golden Zone, shopping time, and the Opera House. It was a great value. Another time, from the ship, we booked the colonial villages tour -- here you get to take in some of the nice scenery as you are taken back to these quaint villages. Mazatlan is our least favorite port -- the city is very dirty and crowded. Many people would concur that they just try to get out of town. But, like I said, the city tour was a nice way to get around, too.

In Puerto Vallarta, we usually just walk around ('cause it's so gorgeous). They will have vans that will take you into town and drop you near the cathedral for $2 a person. It's very easy to get a cab back for about $5. Take in the Rio Cuale -- absolutely gorgeous river area in the middle of the city, as well as plan a lunch on the Malecon -- the restaurants are on the second floors, and you get sweeping vistas. We love PV!

Also, easy to find Internet cafes in all cities if you need to check email.

I bought a used Fodors Guide on Amazon that was wonderful for knowing what to see and walking tours.

By the way, Cabo is very easy to walk about. Veery Americanized. We usually do the glass bottom boat ride on the pier for $10-$12 -- you get to go to Los Arcos etc and see the scenery.

Hope that helps,
Harry
Old August 25th, 2003, 11:54 PM
Soprano

Thanks for the information Harry! I'd love to hear other's experiences in these ports...
Old August 27th, 2003, 06:10 PM
kellie and eunie

hi ..
we are going on the same trip!!!!! we can't wait. how do you like olivia? this is our 1st trip with them. we are in southern California.
kel and eun
Old August 27th, 2003, 11:10 PM
Soprano

Hi! We LOVED Olivia! Our last cruise was back in '93 (pre-kids!), and this one just looked so good that we couldn't pass it up. We made some good friends on that cruise, and we look forward to making new friends this time as well. If you have any specific questions, I'd be happy to answer!

Lorie (from No. Cal)
Old August 30th, 2003, 02:07 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to dj
Default Re: Olivia

Hi ya -- Olivia is GREAT!!! My partner and I traveled with Olivia in 2001 to Alaska -- what a super experience -- great traveling with almost 1200 women!!! Can't be beat. We found the entire Olivia staff most helpful and just couldn't do enough to make our trip a superb vacatiion. We are ready to book another cruise with Olivia -- would recommend a trip with Olivia any time, any place. Go for it -- you'll be glad you did.
Old September 3rd, 2003, 02:42 PM
kellie and eunie

hi again everyone..
We have never been on a cruise nor have we done any Olivia vacation. We are so excited to go and be ourselves. Any information about the cruise or even to chat about Olivia you can also use our e mail. kel_eun@yahoo.com. Does anyone know if the whale watching is a good excursion?
thanks and have a great day!!
kellie and eunie
Old September 16th, 2003, 10:27 PM
Soprano

Any other ladies out there who will be on this cruise? Last I talked to Olivia (about a week ago) it was about 85% filled...so I know you must be out there!

Lorie
Old September 21st, 2003, 09:34 PM
Treven Dunning

Since it will be a little over a year since hurricane Kenna struck just North of PTO, I'm quite certain that the downtown portion as well as the Malecon have been all repaired. I agree with the previous poster who suggested the Rio Quale area.

You've just got the cross the swinging bridge that crosses between the Malecon area and the small island in the middle of the river. Often times local children, when seeing a gringo tourist (or more) on the bridge will quickly run onto the bridge and start jumping up and down - which, of course, starts the bridge rippling and swaying. It's all loads of fun!!!!!

I've been to PTO for the past two years; both with Atlantis.
Old September 22nd, 2003, 11:03 AM
kellie and eunie

I also spoke to Olivia Friday and they say they are getting filled up. This is going to be a great trip!!!!!!!!!!!
kellie and Eunie
Old September 22nd, 2003, 11:25 AM
Admiral

Hi all,

I am posting a photo of teh Rio Cuale area in Puerto Vallarta. We were there in February, and everything was clean as a whistle since the hurricaine a year or so ago.

By the way, San Jose Del Cabo (20 mins from Cabo) got hit with a Category 2 hurricaine today.

Harry

Old September 22nd, 2003, 11:28 AM
Admiral

Oh almost forgot ... there is also a staircase to the Rio Cuale just off the main drag downtown. I am attaching a photo (with me).

For more photos of the Mexican Riviera, search my name under photo galleries for our Star Princess trip in Ferbruary.

Harry Martin

Old October 5th, 2003, 11:34 PM
Ami

Thanks for the pictures Harry! We're going on this Olivia cruise as well! Can't wait!

Ami
Old October 6th, 2003, 01:38 AM
Admiral

Ami, have a wonderful time. We always love to have lunch on the Malecon in PV while cruising -- you can't beat the views.

Harry