Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Health at Sea
Register Forgot Password?

Health at Sea Questions on the treatment of sea sickness and other cruise-related health topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 1st, 2000, 04:52 PM
Linale

Default Children and motion sickness

I am sailing in Oct. on the Nordic Empress to Bermuda from NY. I will be sailing with two children 3 and 2 years old. My 3 year old used to get Airsick and sometimes feels yucky in real long car rides. I understand that North/Mid Atlantic sailing tends to be rougher then others and rougher in Sept. and Oct. ... Since we do not want to ruin our first cruise by having her sick .. what can she take as a precaution - I would prefer something that a 3 1/2 year old can take without making her very sleepy. Also , we do not know how my son will react to the motion either. Anything you can suggest will be more than welcome.

Thanks in Advance!
Sponsored Links
Old September 5th, 2000, 08:58 AM
John Burns, R.Ph.

Default RE: Children and motion sickness

Hi Linale,

You do pose a rather difficult question, because treating children with pharmaceuticals is always a challenge. Adn unfortunately, you probably won't enjoy hearing what I will have to recommend.

Of the treatments generally discussed which usually don't cause drowsiness, only the homeopathic remedy using ginger may be used. (I don't know if SeaBands are made in a pediatric size for your toddlers.) I would recommend using the ginger candy, if they will take it. The clinical studies on children have not been performed formeclizine products (Bonine, etc.), and are not recommended for children under 12 years old. Additionally, the meclizine products aren't made in a dosage form which can be conveniently given to children, to my knowledge. Scopolamine patches are not prescribed for children.

This leaves you with the dimenhydrinate products (Dramamine, etc.). Dramamine does come in a chewable and liquid dosage forms (I know this, because my company makes Dramamine, and I used to support its manufacture) intended for dosing children. Depending on the size of your children, I would recommend dosing them with 12.5 - 25 mg (1/4 - 1/2 tablet, or 1 teaspoonful [5 ml]) every 4-6 hours, to a maximum of four doses per day. And, yes, dimenhydrinate products may cause drowsiness, but in children, just the opposite effect (restlessness or insomnia), known as paradoxical effect, can occur in children.

The other thing to try is to keep the children out on the open decks, letting them see the horizon and gulp fresh air.

I know these probably aren't the answers that you were hoping for, but to my knowledge, these may be your only alternatives that I can recommend.

I hope you and your children have a smooth, trouble-free, and thoroughly enjoyable cruise, Linale!

John Burns, R.Ph.
Old September 5th, 2000, 10:27 AM
Linale

Default RE: Children and motion sickness

Thanks .. I was hoping that there were more options for kids.. But your suggestions are well noted. I will try the fresh air and ginger since I really hate medicating kids. If all else fails there is always the Dramamine . My kids do usually get the opposite affect from drugs like Benedryl or some Cold meds. It says it should make them sleepy , but in my case it makes them act like they had one too many cups of coffee. I think I like sleepy better.

Thanks Alot. I am really looking forward to our first cruise.

Linale