Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Health at Sea
Register Forgot Password?

Health at Sea Questions on the treatment of sea sickness and other cruise-related health topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 19th, 2001, 01:13 PM
MJ Rubinstein

Default Patch Interactions & Long Term Use

We are going on a long cruise (17 days around Cape Horn) next month. Is it safe to use the patch for that many days? Is it better to only use it on the rough days and to make do with something else the other days?

I'm also interested in knowing if there are any interactions with other drugs. I take celebrex, azulfidine, and *****, but also occasional over-the-counters.

Thanks,
--MJ
Sponsored Links
Old October 21st, 2001, 08:23 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Patch Interactions & Long Term Use

I recently returned from a 14 day transatlantic crossing - I didn't have any problems using the patch for that long other than the usual side effect of dry mouth. Although the seas were very calm on the cruise I chose to use the patch throughout the cruise as I am very prone to motion sickness and have learned over the years that for me prevention is the best course of action. I would check with your Dr. and pharmacists as to possible interactions with other drugs - they would know best.
Old October 23rd, 2001, 07:21 PM
LabeYoung

MJ, I see no significant problems with you using the patch and taking the listed medications you have. We are also going on Dec 5 on the Royal Princess around the horn, maybe we will pass each other (g). Labe Young, RPH
Old October 24th, 2001, 09:19 AM
MJ Rubinstein

Thank you for your input. Unfortunately we won't pass each other because I will be back in NY by the time you start. Have a great cruise.

--MJ
Old November 7th, 2001, 01:40 PM
dgm1

Hi
I noticed that you indicated that you took the patch for 14 days. I am set to sail within a week for a 11 day cruise and am planning to use the patch for the entire cruise as well. Did you suffer any post patch symptoms after you stopped using the patch?? I tried wearing the patch for 3 days as a practice run last week and while I was using the patch I felt fine except for dry mouth. However, after I discontinued using it, I felt slightly dizzy and off balance for several days afterwards. Did this happen to you??