Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Health at Sea
Register Forgot Password?

Health at Sea Questions on the treatment of sea sickness and other cruise-related health topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 6th, 2001, 01:50 PM
dgm1

Default the Patch - Good or Bad

Hi
I have gotten a lot of feedback concerning the use of the PATCH to prevent motion sickness. Several people swear by it and yet others claim it will make you even sicker. Has anyone actually used the PATCH and has anyone had any side effects other than the dry mouth syndrome?? Please advise as I am very prone to motion sickness and would prefer not to take dramamine or gravol pills as they make me very tired and the PATCH is not supposed too. Any input is appreciated. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Old November 17th, 2001, 03:43 AM
Laine

Default Re: the Patch - Good or Bad

Hello,
I have used the Patch on several cruises, both when it was on the market the first time, and the second time. I was amazed at how well it works. I was also concerned because I take other medications, but my physician said it was okay to mix. I, personally, have had no side effects, and am planning to use them again on our upcoming cruise. The only side effects I read about on a message board were that some people's pupils became enlarged. They seemed to have continued to use them, but I'm not sure I would have.
Hope you have a great cruise, and lovely smooth seas.....
Old November 25th, 2001, 06:12 PM
John Burns, RPh

The most prevalent side effect caused by the patches is dry mouth...I mean bad dry mouth. Almost 50% of people using them experience this. Other side effects include nervousness, palpitations, and yes, the previously stated visual disturbances. The patches do require a presciption to obtain, and are not cheap, if you are paying cash. However, if Antivert ddn't work previously, you may want to give them a try.

John Burns,,RPh
Old December 4th, 2001, 07:31 PM
Cruise Maniac

Hi,
I use the patch every time I go on a cruise--just got back 2 weeks ago again. I would not go on a cruise without one. I get deathly sick on the water if I do not use the patch. You have to put the patch on 4 hours before you sail. You will get some dry mouth--but it is worth it. Just drink plenty of water. I even can have a drink of alcohol or two using the patch.
I can ride out 25 foot waves with the patch--it really does work!!
Old December 28th, 2001, 11:43 AM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to jc

Have also used the patch both before, during and after its hiatus from the market. They work great. As far as the side effects go. The only one that we have noticed is the dry mouth. We recently went on a 12 day cruise to Hawaii. We put the patches on the day of departure and wore them about 3 days. It was pretty rough so I put on another. I wore more of the patches throughout the cruise. For the first couple of days I experienced the dry mouth condition. It is not really that bad, but it is noticeable just drink lots of water and chew gum. It is worth not being sick. Actually as the cruise progressed I felt none of the side effects at all including the dry mouth. So if you wear them for an extended time even the dry mouth goes away.

jc
Old January 13th, 2002, 12:36 PM
bostongal

Okay, I had a totally different experience with the patch. I get really sea sick, sick on airplanes and sick in cars so I had my doctor prescribe the patch for use on for my first cruise. I put it on and within a few hours had a black circle around the perimeter of the patch. I also was dizzy, had a wicked dry mouth and felt like I was going to pass out. I tried to tough it out because I thought this would be better than seasickness. It didn't go away. Eventually I took it off and went on bonine.

Now whenever I cruise I use a Sea-band (on pretty tightly) and take bonine once a day. I begin the bonine a couple of days before I leave.

bostongal