Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Health at Sea
Register Forgot Password?

Health at Sea Questions on the treatment of sea sickness and other cruise-related health topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 6th, 2003, 07:29 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Consumer Reports Sunscreen Ratings

Cruisers and Sunworshippers:

Below are the ratings from Consumer Reports on sunscreens. On the website (member's only or I'd post the URL) it is in chart form, but the chart doesn't translate to here. The number after lotion/stick is the average price per fluid ounce. They are in alphabetical order so they are all excellent. A word to the wise, the Walgreen's stuff will absolutely blind you. If you sweat even the slightest bit into your eyes, you will be in excruciating pain and not be able to see until you can get it thouroughly wash out. We have used it and it is not pretty. OUCH!

EXCELLENT PROTECTION (met SPF claim; blocked nearly 100% of UVA)

Banana Boat Baby Block Sunblock 30 lotion $1.13 Thicker than most. Greasy residue. Medicinal scent.

Banana Boat Kids Sunblock 30+ lotion 0.90 Thicker than most. Waxy residue. Very little scent.

Banana Boat Sport Sunblock 30+ lotion 0.92 Thicker than most. Waxy residue. Very little scent.

Banana Boat Sport Sunscreen 30 stick 4.91 More residue than most; sticky, greasy. Hardly absorbed after 10 minutes. Slight warm-plastic scent.

Banana Boat Ultra Sunblock 30+ lotion 0.91 Thicker than most. Waxy residue, but absorbed faster than most. Very little scent.

Coppertone Kids Sunblock With Parsol 1789 30 lotion 1.25* Slightly thinner than most. Waxy residue, but absorbed faster than most. Floral, fruity scent. Stained more than most.

Coppertone Sport Sunblock 30 stick 4.79 More residue than any other; sticky, greasy. Hardly absorbed after 10 minutes. Warm-plastic and slight medicinal scent. Stained more than most.

Coppertone Sport Ultra Sweatproof Dry 30 lotion 2.02 Dry, powdery residue. Fruity, floral scent. Stained more than most.

Coppertone Water Babies Sunblock 30 lotion 1.17 Waxy residue. Floral scent.

Hawaiian Tropic 15 Plus Sunblock 15+ lotion 0.81 Absorbed slightly faster than most. Strong candy-banana and coconut scent.

Hawaiian Tropic 30 Plus Sunblock 30+ lotion 0.90 Greasy residue. Strong candy-banana and coconut scent.

Neutrogena UVA/UVB Sunblock 15 lotion 2.17 Sweet floral scent.

Olay Complete UV Protective Moisture 15 lotion 1.59 Rose scent. Very little residue. Does not claim water resistance.

Ombrelle Sunscreen 30 lotion 2.17 Moderate greasy residue. Very little scent.

Rite Aid Sunblock 30 lotion 0.50 Slightly thicker than most. Greasy residue. Fruity, floral scent.

Walgreens Ultra Sunblock 30 lotion 0.68 Greasy residue, but absorbed faster than most. Fruity, floral scent.

Jay and Karen
Mount Hope, ON Canada

Westerdam 1993, 1997, 1998
Statendam 1995
Zenith 1996
Norway 1997
Sun Princess 1999
Volendam 2000, 2001
Century 2002
Zuiderdam 2003
Caribbean Princess 2004, 2005
Victory 2004
Sponsored Links
Old May 6th, 2003, 08:06 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Consumer Reports Sunscreen Ratings

I think ANY sunscreen will do that to your eyes. Be VERY careful. Don't rub your eyes until you've washed your hands.
Old August 20th, 2003, 11:28 PM
Cruise Maniac

JTurner901,
Thanks so much for posting that................a very good service to us all.
Old March 7th, 2004, 11:20 PM
First Mate

Send a message via Yahoo to shubaby

i used wesson oil!
ouch!
but i did fit in with the locals!

Royal Caribbean/ Sovereign of the Seas 2000
Carnival/Fantasy 2001
Disney/Wonder 2003
S.O.S. JUNE 04
Old March 8th, 2004, 05:58 PM
amy c

Were there any references to Bullfrog suncreens? That is what I tend to use here in Ohio..co-worker water skis a lot and suggested this...also the one with micronized zinc and titanium dioxide provide a reflective (not white) surface without the chemical..I think water babies (copper tone) used to make a great stick with this in it
Old May 12th, 2004, 11:36 PM
Admiral

Ombrelle is a staple in our daycare all summer. It's scent -free and almost greaseless, and I've never been burned with it on!

donna

Old May 25th, 2004, 10:52 AM
Passenger

Thanks for the list. Just a word of caution I used last year's sunblock (Coopertone) this past weekend and it did not work. We came back with splotches. Buy fresh sunscreen.

Was Bullfrog (not what I used this past weekend) not on the list?
Old May 30th, 2004, 05:38 PM
Passenger

If you log onto the Skin Cancer Foundation web site, you can also find a link that has their recommendations for sunscreens. And, as another poster stated, be sure to buy new sunscreen each year (or check for expiration date) as some of the "important ingredients" lose their potency.

KathyL