Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Holland America
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 22nd, 2001, 03:05 PM
pinecrest

Default Panama Canal Cruise on Westerdam

I would like to hear from someone who has taken a repositioning cruise from Vancouver to Ft. Lauderdale or the reverse on the Westerdam.
Sponsored Links
Old May 27th, 2001, 12:48 PM
Kathy S

Default Re: Panama Canal Cruise on Westerdam

Can't give you any info on the ship or the cruise until after October. We're doing that repositioning cruise then. I've read such conflicting reports on the Westerdam that I was beginning to wonder if I'd goofed in booking. But the price was great and the entire cruise sounded like a dream come true. So we're going.
Your Man Tours booked the whole ship for that cruise, and I'm not really happy with them, but they can't have much affect on the cruise (I hope.) I just keep telling myself that even a bad day at sea is better than a good day on land. And I'm planning for all good days on the Westerdam.
If you're going on this same cruise, please keep me posted on any interesting info you get.
Old May 27th, 2001, 03:48 PM
Tim Agg

Default Re: Panama Canal Cruise on Westerdam

I have done the Vancouver - Fort Lauderdale repositioning cruise twice - eastbound on the Ryndam, westbound on the Veendam. It is a wonderful trip - take plenty of film!! If you stop in Cost Rica, splurge on a trip either to the cloud forest or to the jungle. If you stop in Guatemala, really splurge on the Tikal excursion - Tikal is magical.

I have sailed on the Westerdam three times, all to Alaska out of Vancouver, and most recently a year ago. She does not have all the amenities, nor is she stylistically as attractive, as the newer ships. She was, however, in fine shape. The decor has been described as "country club" - very comfortable, not glitzy, lots of dark wood. Overall, there's more than enough on board to find kindred spirits with whom to have a good time and fully enjoy yourself.