Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Holland America
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 5th, 2001, 08:02 AM
Worldcrzr

Default Port Security In SAn Diego

We heard on tonight's news that airport type security is being implemented at the cruise terminal in San Diego. The parking lot directly across from the terminal will be closed to parking while a ship is in port. The pier is sealed off and only vehicles picking up or letting passengers off will be allowed in. There is no long term parking.There is a big fence across the entrance to the pier. The authorities recommend taking a taxi, shuttle or van to the cruise terminal. If you are meeting someone or seeing them off, you have to park on the street and walk in. Only ticketed passengers with id's will be allowed inside the terminal. Some luggage will be inspected at random like at the airports. Allow extra time for check in because hand carry will also be searched very carefully.
Sponsored Links
Old October 5th, 2001, 01:00 PM
Worldcrzr

Default Re: Port Security In San Diego

Follow up:
This morning's news said that security at the airport will be very strict. Carry on luggage will be closely inspected and any sharp item such as scissors, nail files, clippers, knitting needles, knives, etc., will be confiscated. Carry on just as though you were boarding an airplane. Cruisers, put your cruise pins, alumni pins, hat pins, etc., in your carry on luggage or leave them home. If you try to wear them, they will be confiscated.
Old October 5th, 2001, 01:04 PM
Worldcrzr

Default Re: Port Security In San Diego

In my follow up, I meant security at the cruise terminal will be very strict...just as though you were boarding an airplane.
Old October 10th, 2001, 11:38 AM
Frank

Default Re: Port Security In SAn Diego

If thats true it's too bad. Parking at the pier was a real bargain at $3.00 a day. I sailed the Rhapsody last spring and parking was in short supply then. They closed off the rear lot. But they said long term parking was available about a half mile away off site. I am sure it still is. Call the Port Authority for details.
Old October 13th, 2001, 01:33 AM
First Mate

Default Re: Port Security In SAn Diego

We cruised the Ryndam, 10/1,10/8 and live about 20 minutes from the pier. My Son took us and I had checked on security a few days prior to see about any changes. Worldcrzr is correct and that the parking lot that used to be right next to the pier and was $3 a day is now closed to parking traffic, which leaves the lot across the street, next to the rail station the only one that is close by and I'm sorry I don't know that price per diem. What was funny though, when we returned on 10/8, I did notice that the shuttle busses were allowed to park, awaiting their passengers in that lot next to the cruise building, so I suspect rather than have them line up at the curb, which they have normally done, this was the security change.

If you are walking in to board from the sidewalk, there is a guard type person checking to make sure you are on some sort of a manifest. And only those with cruise documents will be allowed beyond this point, to the port building.

My son was allowed inside the gates, after we (my Son, hubby and I) were checked for driver's license ID and I had to show our cruise documents to show that we were passengers. However, as reported, nobody but cruise passengers is allowed inside the port building itself and the Xray machine for your carry bags is at the very front entry door, instead of inside, just prior to boarding as it used to be.

I have to admit that it did make for less confusion inside the building with only passengers in there. It was a lot less croweded and more quiet.

And another new and welcomed treat was that HAL had set up a continental breakfast type snack right in the buidling itself, with juices, water, coffee, and pastries, for those who wished to partake. This was all gratis for the embarking passengers of course.

We had been told at the end of our cruise that only one taxi at a time would be allowed inside the terminal area, but I did see several being allowed in, however they were strictly being monitored and told when they could actually pull up to the curbside.

Since my Son was picking us up and there was a long line of traffic at the entrance, and actually trucks waiting to deliver, causing a backup of one whole traffic line, we walked out of the pier area, suitcases in tow to the nearest pay phone to call my Son. Since I saw the long backup of traffic, I decided to cross the street and have him pick us up in front of the Holiday Inn. In my opinion leaving was more of a mess than getting on the ship.

I hope this might help some with first hand information.

Sheila