CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Holland America (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/holland-america/)
-   -   HAL dress code on casual nites (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/holland-america/214591-hal-dress-code-casual-nites.html)

John January 18th, 2002 04:35 PM

HAL dress code on casual nites

Just read something from HAL that jeans, T-shirts, and sandals not allowed on ship on any eveinings? While I have no problem with this, just wondered for planning purposes for Alaska cruise. Sounds like more cloths, since anything but jeans for land portion in the wild would not work!

stevesan January 18th, 2002 06:31 PM

Re: HAL dress code on casual nites

Evening dress code per HAL's web site:

Evening dress falls into three separate categories - casual, informal and formal. Each night, a daily program will be delivered to your stateroom announcing the suggested dress for the following evening.

Comfortable, relaxed clothing is fine for evenings designated as casual; however, T-shirts, jeans and shorts are not allowed in the dining room or public areas. During informal nights, dresses or pantsuits for women and jackets (tie optional) for men are standard.

On festive formal evenings, women usually wear cocktail dresses or gowns and men usually wear business suits or tuxedos. There are approximately two formal nights per week. (Gentlemen: Though business suits or tuxedos are suggested attire for formal evenings, they are certainly not required. You are welcome to wear a jacket and tie on formal nights.) Formalwear for ladies and gentlemen can be pre-ordered for your use for the duration of your cruise. Just call Cruise Line Formalwear at 800-551-5091 to reserve and it will be ready in your stateroom when you board.

In order to complement your fellow guests, Holland America Line asks that you observe the suggested dress code throughout the entire evening

John January 18th, 2002 09:41 PM

Yeah, I read the policy. I was looking for personal experience with the Alaska cruise, Understand the dining room dress, but didn't know it covered whole ship except your cabin. I was thinking of where we or others could be coming in late from a shore excursion and opt for a casual dinner in the buffet before we crash for the night. But I guess this policy is better overall so someone isn't offended. I don't remember RCCL being that way in Mexico.Thanks

KLD January 18th, 2002 10:15 PM

A good option is something like chinos or Dockers. They wear like jeans for the day, but look nicer, and I wore these both in South America and Alaska on casual days.

Ron February 14th, 2002 12:13 AM

I agree with KLD,we were on the Vollendam 7/99 returning fr AK to VC.Take a dark suit for formal nights. Dockers or jeans for comfort & casual nights will not be a problem. I found it to be more casual than other crusies.Its ALASKA enjoy the beauty