Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Holland America
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 1st, 2003, 06:52 PM
Hawaiian Cruiser

Default Ryndam Rio to Valparaiso

I am taking this cruise in February and have never sailed with HAL before. We are two couples (late 20's, mid 30's) and assuming we will be the younger ones on this ship.
Is the clientele on this cruise as geriatric as people say? We are taking this cruise mostly for the itinerary and not because we want to party all night, however, we do like to have drinks after dinner in a lounge or sing karaoke or dance and am wondering if we will be the only ones up past midnight? Has anyone done this cruise? Any thoughts, comments, tips would be appreciated!
Any way to get to Torres Del Paine NP in Chile without taking the very expensive ($749.00) ship shore excursion? We'd like to go there.
Very much looking forward to first cruise with HAL as we have taken several lengthy Princess cruises (all of them enjoyable) but didn't want to do the Royal on this route, as we wanted to see Rio De Janeiro too, and Princess doesn't stop there.

Aloha,
Kirk in Hawaii
Sponsored Links
Old January 10th, 2003, 12:08 PM
Dave Shilton

Default Re: Ryndam Rio to Valparaiso

Good choice. My wife and I did Valparaiso to Buenos Aires in 1998 on the Royal Princess and it was terrible. We were 50 at the time and did not party. Never made it past midnight so can't say. But you should be able to dance the night away.
Old January 10th, 2003, 08:41 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Ryndam Rio to Valparaiso

I just got back Buenos Aires to Valparaiso on Celebrity Zenith. We had a great time. I don't think you will be disappointed in the Ryndam. H.A.L. is always very good and sometimes great.

In buenos Aires, be sure to go to the Tango show at "Senior Tango." 41/2 hours of great food and fabulous entertainment for $50 a head including wine, dessert, and champagne. It is an amazing event that must not be missed. The show depicts the history of the tango from Native American times to present. I could go on and on and on....
Old January 27th, 2003, 07:56 PM
mia

Default Re: Ryndam Rio to Valparaiso

My mom & I did Christmas on HAL in 2000 & the age group was mixed but the nightlife was pretty sedate. In my experience, the longer the cruise (and more expensive), the older the crowd. I'm considering S. America aboard the Ryndam in March. Would love to hear about your experience. Have fun.
Old January 30th, 2003, 03:48 PM
Charles Mc Elroy

Default Re: Re: Ryndam Rio to Valparaiso

I made the trip last year in March and was favorably impressed..March is a perfect month. The first dusting of snow on the mountains as you go further south yet still confortable. In usuaia forget the rr tour to the end of the world . It is not worth it go instead to see the pengunis.Cape horn can be smooth or rough. On the previous sailing it was like a milpond, on our cruise it was rough and windy and all that you associate with Cape Horn. Pray that the lecturer Graham is still aboard. He is outstanding. Cheers
Old February 6th, 2003, 05:32 PM
Leon DeMent

Default Re: Re: Re: Ryndam Rio to Valparaiso

I am considering the Valpariso to Rio trip on HAL next year but am worried about motion sickness as I understand the trip can be rough. Did you experience frequent rough seas and how did most of the passengers tolerate the ride?