Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Holland America
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 16th, 2003, 12:07 PM
MRDOOWOP

Default DOES THE MAASDAM NEED REPAIRS ?

.........AFTER CONSIDERABLE SEARCHING, ON MY PART, YESTERDAY I BOOKED A 7 NIGHT EASTERN CARIBBEAN CRUISE ON THE MAASDAM SAILING ON NOVEMBER 30, 2003. IT APPEARED TO ME THAT I HAD BOOKED A CRUISE ON A GREAT SHIP WITH A GREAT ITINERARY ( 5 PORTS )..............UNTIL I WENT TO " THE OTHER SITE " & DISCOVERED A TOTAL OF 63 E-MAIL DISCUSSIONS PERTAINING TO THE " CONDITIONS " ( I.E. NO AIR CONDITIONING, FAULTY ELECTRICITY, LEAKING/NON-FUNCTIONAL TOILETS, FLOODED CABINS, ODORS OF " WASTE " IN CABINS, ETC. ) ON THE MAASDAM...MOST OF THE ABOVE 63 E-MAILS SEEMED TO BE NEGATIVE AND THE ABOVE CONDITIONS ( IF THEY DO EXIST ) APPEAR TO CONSTITUE REAL PROBLEMS; NOT JUST COSMETIC CONCERNS.HAVE I BOOKED A CRUISE ON THE " SHIP FROM HELL " ? OR IS IT REASONABLE TO BELIEVE THAT ALL OF THE ABOVE PROBLEMS SHOULD & WILL BE CORRECTED BY THE TIME THAT I SAIL ??
Sponsored Links
Old April 16th, 2003, 12:44 PM
David Starkey

Default Re: DOES THE MAASDAM NEED REPAIRS ?

Are you talking about the Noordam or Maasdam?. The Noordam is a much older ship and has had some proplems the last couple of years(she is a much older vessel) with A/C and plumbing ect.
Old April 16th, 2003, 02:24 PM
Cruise Maniac

Ow, my ears!

Jay and Karen
Mount Hope, ON Canada

Westerdam 1993, 1997, 1998
Statendam 1995
Zenith 1996
Norway 1997
Sun Princess 1999
Volendam 2000, 2001
Century 2002
Zuiderdam 2003
Caribbean Princess 2004, 2005
Victory 2004
Old April 19th, 2003, 08:23 AM
Frank

The Maasdam has a 10 day gap in her sailing schedule after she returns to Ft. Lauderdale this fall. It has been speculated, though nobody has been able to confirm, that this time will be used for repairs and refrubishing. I hope this is the case as there are some very good rates for the fall Caribbean cruises on the Maasdam.

Frank
Old April 24th, 2003, 07:27 PM
jeanoh

I also have heard that she is going into either dry or wet dock this fall. Sincerely hope so as we are booked for back to backs on her Dec. 7th and 14th and with the prices being so low we even sprouted for a full suite!!.....jean
Old April 24th, 2003, 11:00 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: DOES THE MAASDAM NEED REPAIRS ?

"Author: jturner901 
Date:   04-16-03 13:24

Ow, my ears!

All the best!

Jay and Karen
Mount Hope, ON Canada

Zuiderdam - May 10"

I know it's impolite to 'shout' but - Is this a private joke? Makes no sense!
Old April 25th, 2003, 06:22 AM
First Mate

Suki - I think they are trying to tell Mr. Doowop, not to type in capitals - just learned recently that this means that you are SHOUTING!. New one to me!

Post Edited (04-25-03 06:58)
Old April 25th, 2003, 04:51 PM
slotl

I was just on the Maasdam on March 24th. I have almost 100 nights on HAL. The Maasdam was a beautiful ship with excellent food and service. We loved our experience on rhe Maasdam and had no problems as the ones you described.

The Noordam (we have been on it twice) is the ship in need of some TLC the most. It is my understanding that the new Oosterdam will replace the Noordam in Europe. I am assuming the Noordam will be 'retired' by HAL and show up as a COSTA ship in the Carnival inventory (or be sold to another cruise line).

You made an excellent choice selecting the Maasdam. I am sure you will have a very enjoyable and trouble-free cruising experience.
Old April 25th, 2003, 05:11 PM
Cruise Maniac

I Think, That HAL is Keeping the Noordam to 2005 until the Westerdam is coming out. At least Hal has it that way in the spring Mariner book, They should be selling the Noordam, because Costa is getting one or two new ships of there own. I also would pick the Maasdam over the Noordam, just because of the cabins.

Barry

Old April 26th, 2003, 03:45 PM
MR DOOWOP

THANK YOU SLOT FOR YOUR CONFIDENCE & INFORMATION IN THE MAASDAM. I AM LOOKING FORWARD TO WHAT I BELIEVE WILL BE A RELAXING CRUISE & NICE CHANGE FROM MY JOB WHERE I HAVE WORKED AS A DETECTIVE IN NEW YORK CITY FOR THE PAST 27 YEARS WHICH PERHAPS EXPLAINS WHY I LEARNED TO TYPE MY REPORTS IN " CAPITALS " ............ DOING SO WITH NO INTENTION OF " SHOUTING " ? DID YOU TAKE THE EASTERN CARIBBEAN ITINERARY ? & , IF SO, I AM INTERESTED IN HOW YOU FELT ABOUT THE PORTS AND/OR EXCURSIONS ?? THANKS.....DON
Old April 28th, 2003, 02:37 PM
Passenger

just back from the maasdam (4-27). no major problems. there was a sewage odor
on our floor. we did the eastern caribbean. half moon cay and st. thomas were
wonderful. puerto rico was ok, not great. nassau (4 hrs.) was a waste. this was my
first HAL cruise. i've been on 3 Carnival ships. some things were better on carnival
and some better on HAL. Yes, the captain did say the maasdam would go into dry
dock.
Old April 28th, 2003, 03:59 PM
dianec

We as well (group of six - two new cruisers in the bunch) (mid forties) are booked on the 7th of December. The rates were way too amazing to pass up!
Old April 29th, 2003, 09:20 AM
gypsylady

We are booked on back to back western and eastern Caribbeans cruises on the Maasdam on her first two sailings out of drydock this fall, October 26 to November 9. The prices of the balcony cabins were so good that we couldn't pass up the opportunity to splurge a little.
Old April 29th, 2003, 11:29 AM
rr

I too just returned from a 7 day Eastern Caribbean cruise on the Maasdam (4/20-4/27). What a great ship it was! My family (incl two kids, 9 & 11) thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. I am a relaxed kind of person so those small things that some people like to complain about don't bother me. Yes, the toilets stopped working on our side of the ship for a couple of hours because of a circuit. Big deal. They fixed it. You're not in the cabin that much anyway.

The food, the service, the ship, the crew were amazing. One of the good things about it was you didn't feel crowded wherever you were.

My only complaints were: Other than lunchtime, only piped in music around the pools. I wanted that tropical feeling from the steel drums more. Second, Calvyn as a late night DJ stunk. His choice of music was awful and he wouldn't change. Didn't get much dancing in. Third, the entertainment was not great. However, Edge was awesome as a juggler and showman. The rest was so-so.

The ports were great. Half Moon Cay is beautiful. We had an amazing time touring the rain forest in Puerto Rico. If you go, book your own out front and ask Angel to go with Rafael. Worth every penny! St. Thomas wasn't much but we took the St. John Ecohike which was great. Nassau was bad weather and snorkel excursion was cancelled.

Embarkation and disembarkation process was smooth and easy. We were very sad that it was over and want to go again.

As long as you are into having a good time instead of complaining about the little things, you cannot go wrong with the Maasdam.
Old May 9th, 2003, 10:38 AM
Beginner

Just booked for the 12/14 massdam. Found out that the Turks and Caicos itenerary has been dropped on all 5 of the cruises around that time. You get all day in San Juan now, in leiu of. Just thought you might want to know...
Old May 9th, 2003, 01:04 PM
Passenger

Send a message via Yahoo to donald

Did the Captain say that the Maasdam is going into drydock before I sail on her on 11/30/03 ?
Old May 9th, 2003, 01:07 PM
Passenger

According to my Travel Agent.....the Caicos & Turks itinerary is still " on " for my Cruise on the Maasdam on 11/30/03 ???
Old May 9th, 2003, 03:56 PM
gypsylady

For our Oct 26-Nov 9/03 cruise on the Maasdam, Turks & Caicos have been eliminated from the itinerary. The Maasdam will definitely be in drydock for the 2 weeks prior to Oct 26. We are on her first "spruced up" sailing. They will be adding a restaurant during that time and doing some needed repairs.
Old May 12th, 2003, 07:33 PM
Beginner

Default Re: Re: Re: DOES THE MAASDAM NEED REPAIRS ?

Call HAL directly. I swear they told me it was out completely. No explanation why, but I've heard we aren't missing anything.

Several HAL representatives have told me they "assume" Massdam is getting an alternative dining rest. and a neptun lounge while in dry dock, and cabing categories are being changed.
Old May 16th, 2003, 01:09 PM
Beginner

Hi Donald.

This is the reply I rec'd from HAL a few days ago:

"Thank you for your inquiry regarding your upcoming cruise on board the
ms Maasdam departing on November 30, 2003.

The ms Maasdam is no longer stopping in Grand Turks. This change was
made due to operational reasons.

We hope this information is helpful. Please do not hesitate contacting
us if you have any further questions. We look forward to welcoming you
on board in the future."

Hope this helps.

Regards, Elizabeth
Old May 26th, 2003, 03:59 PM
Passenger

The Maasdam is going in for dry dock repairs in October, 2003. This is confirmed from HAL.

They did not say what work would be done, but we may book a February 10-day cruise on her. We loved the Veendam.
Old May 26th, 2003, 08:23 PM
JoeW

Hey we are going on that Dec7th cruise also. 6/8 Irish visitors. Is there an Irish Pub aboard?
Old May 29th, 2003, 11:53 AM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: DOES THE MAASDAM NEED REPAIRS ?

Elizabeth...........Thanks for the info. ; I'm pretty sure that the " gain " that we will receive via the drydock ' repairs ' on the Maasdam will outweigh the " loss " of 1 port that we will experience on our itinerary. My wife & I are looking forward to the Cruise as well as meeting you & your Husband on the Cruise...........Don
Old May 29th, 2003, 06:00 PM
shaunda

We honeymooned on Maasdam in Nov. 2000 and I saw NO problems whatsoever. We were in a mini-suite. If there are problems they have occured since that time.

I would find a travel agent who has been on the Maasdam lately who could report back to you, or they could find out for you.
Old June 9th, 2003, 04:41 PM
Michael in Boston

The Maasdam is getting one of HAL's new Pinnacle Restaurants this Fall. That's why there is a gap. It's an upscale, pacific northwest cusine dining option, reservations only, with a $20.00 surcharge. This will be the 3rd of HAL's ships to get one. Sounds great to me!