Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Holland America
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 4th, 2003, 11:44 AM
localady

Default Suite amenities/Amsterdam

Just a quick question for anyone that may have sailed recently on the Amsterdam in a Suite. Any idea whether they have DVD/CD players or are they still just Video Cassettes. We are scheduled for our Honeymoon cruise to S.America, and 17 days is alot of time without anything more than HAL's music. Also, any recommendations from prior South America travelers on excursions would also be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!
Sher
Sponsored Links
Old June 4th, 2003, 12:02 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Suite amenities/Amsterdam

The ship will go to Dry Dock at the end of September, so it will be had to tell what they will do.
You can call ship services at 1-800-541-1576, and they should be able to answer your questions.

Barry

Old June 4th, 2003, 01:59 PM
localady

Default Re: Re: Suite amenities/Amsterdam

Thanks a bunch Barry! Do you happen to know if is there any problem that is forcing them into drydock, or is the ship just in need of maintenance??? As you can imagine, I am hoping to have my honeymoon go as flawlessly as possible
Any information you have is appreciated.
Old June 4th, 2003, 03:40 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: Re: Suite amenities/Amsterdam

No problem I hope, we will be on the last cruise to Alaska before drydock, are you doing the Holiday or Antarctica cruise by any chance??

Barry

Old June 4th, 2003, 04:37 PM
localady

Barry-
No actually we are doing the Explorer cruise, Rio de Janiero to Valpariso....17 days...It's a cruise of a lifetime for me, especially in a Suite! Hope you do take that cruise to Alaska, then you can report your findings!!

Thanks again!
Sher
Old June 4th, 2003, 04:59 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: Suite amenities/Amsterdam

We will be on it for sure, have 14 other people going with us in a group, most have not been up north before, except us and another couple, should be fun we have our normal HAL cabin and our daughter and son in law are right across on the other side.
Our cruise is starting to fill up but you never know to day 75 when everyone has to pay up how full the ship really is.
We have been thinking about taking the Amsterdam next year to Hawaii in April from Seattle, but being we have not been on this ship before, we will see how must she rocks and rolls when we get outside Vancouver Island, and make up our mind then.

Barry

Old June 4th, 2003, 06:47 PM
Admiral

We did roughly that cruise on the Zenith last Christmas. The highlight was the dinner show at Senor Tango in Buenos Aires. This theater, dinner, and show are amazing and a must see in B.A. We go to many concerts and shows and we both agreed this was the best production show either of us have ever seen.

Don't miss the cemetary where Eva P. is burried too. The penguins are great but getting to them is an ordeal. Read my review of the Celebrity Zenith on the 12-22 sailing on this website. E-mail me if you have any questions.

We will be on the Amsterdam going to Alaska in two and a half weeks. We too have a suite. We'll let you know what we think upon our return.
Old June 4th, 2003, 10:20 PM
localady

Thanks Chuck!
I will check out your cruise review, and look forward to hear about your suite experience on the Amsterdam!
Bon Voyage!
Sher
Old June 5th, 2003, 09:30 AM
Cruise Maniac

This is a older list that has been around, Hal has taken away the suite dinner, but you get a idea what you get by the list.

"Suite Benefits as listed by HAL PCC

Group One: Category: PS, S (on all ships which have these categories)
Penthouse Verandah Suites and Deluxe Verandah Suites will receive the following:
1. BATHROBE – one “cotton terry” robe per adult, to be hung in closet. Bathrobe card is placed in breast pocket explaining the robes are for passenger use during the voyage and are available for sale in the shops on board.
2. PERSONALIZED STATIONERY – name as it appears on manifest.
3. LAUNDRY, PRESSING AND DRY CLEANING – complimentary.
4. HIGH TEA – Available upon request in the suite during the hours of regular tea service. Passenger phones room service for request. Silver service is used.
5. COLD PRE-DINNER HORS D’OEUVERS – Complimentary, delivered to suite on request, through Room Service.
6. VIDEO LIBRARY – Selection of videos is made available for passengers’ use during voyage, and checked out from the Front Office.
7. COCKTAIL PARTY WITH THE CAPTAIN – For cruises 10 days and longer, cocktails will be served prior to suite dinner. For all other cruises, suite passengers will be invited to the VIP party.
8. SUITE LUNCH AND DINNER – Both lunch and dinner will be featured for cruises 10 days and longer.
Lunch menu and site location can be determined by the ship.
·On all seven day cruises, suite passengers will be invited for the Suite Lunch.
·For those passengers who cannot attend the suite dinner, a bottle of wine will be provided that evening in the dining room compliments of the Captain and Hotel Manager.
9. A STANDARD WELCOME CARD – personalized to the passenger by name, in envelope and signed by the Hotel Manager is in each suite at embarkation.
10. CONFIRMATION OF SITTING - table size confirmed by Seattle office.
11. FRESH FRUIT – presented on silver plate or basket.
12. * SPECIAL DISEMBARKATION – passengers leave ship at their leisure.
13. * DISEMBARKATION LUGGAGE – Cabin Steward picks up luggage morning of disembarkation (not necessary to place luggage outside the cabin at night).
14. * A SEPARATE LOCATION in the public rooms on the day of disembarkation is set up for Suite passengers to wait for their disembarkation number to be called.
A coffee set up is to be provided.
15. * SPECIAL BLUE “S” TENDER CARD- will be delivered to each suite the night before a port requiring tendering.
16. OVER-SIZED BATH TOWELS, with embroidered blue HAL Logo, two per cabin
17. FEATHER PILLOWS – on request
18. FULL CABIN BREAKFAST is available.
19. MINI BAR including par stock of swizzle sticks, napkins, glasses, etc. (Not Complimentary)
20. PERSONAL CONTACT – A hotel officer will make personal contact with the guest within 24 hours of boarding.
21. DEBRIEFING – Suite guests will be personally contacted prior to the day of disembarkation to debrief the guest and confirm the overall cruise experience as satisfactory and to assure disembarkation procedures are clear.
22. CORSAGES and BOUTONNIERES will be provided for the first formal night of the cruise to be placed in the cabin at noon.
*Items with asterisk do not apply to Europe cruises.

Group Two: Category: SS (PR, OS, ZU), A (NO, PR, SA, MA, RY, VE, RT, VO, ZA, AM), B (SA, MA, RY, VE, RT, VO, ZA, AM)
Superior Verandah Suites, Verandah Suites, Mini-Suites and Deluxe Verandah Outside (Prinsendam only) will receive the following:
1. BATHROBES – two “waffle weave” bathrobes per cabin. To be hung in closet. These robes are for passenger use during the voyage and are available for sale in the shops on board.
2. OVER-SIZED BATH TOWELS, with embroidered blue HAL logo, two per cabin.
3. MINI BAR includes par stock of swizzle sticks, napkins, glasses etc. (Not Complimentary)
4. A STANDARD WELCOME CARD, personalized to the passenger by name, in envelope and signed by the Hotel Manager is in each suite at embarkation.
5. PERSONALIZED STATIONERY – as it appears on manifest.
6. FEATHER PILLOWS – on request.
7. VIDEO LIBRARY – Selection of videos is made available for passengers use during voyage, and checked out from the Front Office".

There is as you already know the Neptune lounge on the Amsterdam for P and PS Guests

Barry

Post Edited (06-05-03 09:31)
Old June 5th, 2003, 12:30 PM
localady

Thank You so much Barry! Now it's time to pack for the 14 day Alaska cruisetour on the Statendam..!!! I have a feeling the suite life will spoil me as much as my first veranda cabin did!!!
Happy cruising!
Sher
Old June 5th, 2003, 08:16 PM
Captain

We were on Amsterdam for back-to-backs over Christmas and New Years this year and the ship is very beautiful. It rides well and the drydock is a regularly scheduled one. All ships go to drydock periodically for major freshening and to do the mechanical work that cannot be done with passengers aboard.