Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Holland America
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 5th, 2003, 12:17 PM
Victoria Short

Default Security Question

My family and I (parents, husband, our child) are leaving next Sunday on the Prisendam's New England to Ft. Lauderdale sailing. In preparing for packing up ... I read somewhere that some cruise lines are now impounding scissors/knitting needles and the like for security purposes during your cruise.

One of the things I've been looking forward to is sitting back on our veranda and doing some cross stitch and needlepoint, which necessarily involves scissors.

Can anyone tell me what's up with this? I read all the docs in my booking package and ticket package, and nothing Holland America says says anything about this.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Old October 5th, 2003, 01:25 PM
Yeoman

Default Re: Security Question

all i know is that last august on our alaskan trip we bought a ulu knife that was xray scanned and they just handed the package back to me------dont know if they have tightened the rules-------i would think almost every woman boarding a ship has a small pair of scissors with her -------i know my wife does and they would have a heck of a time rounding up alll of the scissors -------i know they scan carry on but do they scan the luggage checked at dockside

Old October 5th, 2003, 03:52 PM
Admiral

Just put sharp items in your checked luggage and you will have no problems. They do give funny looks and question sharp items in carry-on luggage.. I think it is a bit silly because ships are nothing like jet planes when it comes to security precautions. I guess everyone is over reacting to 911.
Old October 6th, 2003, 09:02 PM
Jkm7

Of course you can bring your knitting needles and handwork needles of all sorts.

If anyone had "trouble" in mind, there are plenty of sharp instruments aboard the ships that are readily available to cause way too much trouble if one were so inclined.

You may be thinking about restrictions on airplanes but it would be silly to not allow those things on ships. They certainly have scissors, knives, and the like all over the ship.
Old October 7th, 2003, 10:29 AM
Victoria Short

Default Re: Re: Security Question

Actually, I read it in one of the 'cruise line' guidebooks. I kinda thought it was a bit strange myself, considering that there had to be steak knives at the least all over, but ... better safe than sorry.
Old October 8th, 2003, 02:48 PM
bigboy

On my last Carnival Cruise out of Long Beach I had my pocket knife (swiss army knife) confiscated and held for me until my return. I had steak knives at the table that were twice as long. Kind of wierd actually. I doubt if you could take over a cruise ship with a pen knife.
Old October 10th, 2003, 06:57 PM
Passenger

Send a message via Yahoo to ASUWife

Just got back (well, in August) from a RCCL cruise to Hawaii. I didn't even try to take scissors, because all of mine are too good to lose to confiscation! I only do counted cross stitch, so was able to use one of the Clover thread cutters. I doubt that they would cut yarn though.

Becky
Old October 12th, 2003, 11:05 AM
Captain

ASUWife.....can't you cut cross stitch threads with fingernail scissors? They are certainly permitted to be brought aboard a ship.

As stated above, we use pretty sharp steak knives at dinner.
Old October 12th, 2003, 03:59 PM
thoth

I was on the Statendam last month and they DID take knives away then returned them upon leaving the ship on the last day.
Old October 22nd, 2003, 04:17 PM
Passenger

Send a message via Yahoo to ASUWife

!!! I've used fingernail clippers before too, so I know that will work. The last trip we had lots of sea days and I had planned on stitching, but never did a thing...too busy on the ship!

Becky