Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Holland America
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 26th, 2004, 03:56 PM
Blanche Welborn

Default Southern Carribean Cruise Help

We are sailing out of Norfolk March2 to Southern Carribean-has anyone been on this route yet-BVI, St. Thomas, Barbados,etc. Anything special in any port that is a must see or a must do shore excursion. Also, with an 11 day cruise on HAL how many formal nights are there? We have only done 7 days so far.
Sponsored Links
Old January 26th, 2004, 05:21 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Southern Carribean Cruise Help

On an 11 day cruise you will have 3 formal nights.
Old January 27th, 2004, 01:15 PM
kathryn

In St. Thomas -- SHOPPING! , my best find there was some batik fabric that I can not find back home in Memphis. Some other of my cruise companions found jewelery and other like items, but the fabric-aholic I am, I went to buy fabric.

Planning on a 10 day in dec that hits St Thomas and Barbados and both have nice batik and tropical print fabric.
Old February 7th, 2004, 01:51 PM
Eileen Regensburg

We're sailing out of Norfolk in November for an 11day cruise. Please let me know how your cruise goes. I'd love to hear about it.
Old February 9th, 2004, 08:39 PM
Passenger

Location: Brooklyn - Dyker Heights-Bay Ridge - NYC By The VZ Bridge

My wife and I have done the So Carib Cruises many, many, many times.

Yes, St Thomas is the SHOPPING MECCA that cruiseships seem to land before coming back to the USA. Some people do say that you can do better in other ports even in the USA. Liquor is a Big Deal in St Thomas especially at Reiise's. They are also know for jewerly and tobacco. The items will be delivered to the ship like all the other stores offer and you will pickup the items on the pier at your homeport. Yes, you can also carry on what you bought but then you will have to carry it off the ship from your cabin.

St Thomas is suppose to be noted for Magens Bay, as this best beach in the Carrib. We honestly don't see what's so great about it. Especially, it is not a hidden secert and EVERYONE goes there and crowds. Watch the taxis if you want to take it there. Settle for the fare price ahead. I've heard of stories that people are taken advantage of especially with the trip back. We honestly like going over to St Johns by ferry or an organized tour to the beach. It BEAUTIFUL, Coral Bay & Trunk Bay! It's worth the trip.

We will be going to the BVI's this year in May and can't tell you about it yet. You can go to the Message Board - Destinations - and look at Caribbean and see if anyone has any opinions of other cruisers about the islands there. We are starting to do research also for the trip, activities and tours.

BARBADOS is our FAVORITE ISLAND ALWAYS! I think the people are always cordial. The island is very clean and interesting to tour. There are two parts to the island, the North Shore and the South. The North side is the Atlantic Ocean and rough. Surfer's love to use it. What WAVES! Interesting to see. Also you can see in your tour docu you will get with you tickets, many tours. We enjoyed Harrison Cave's, Eco Hike & Beach also on other cruises we also experienced the Orchid Gardens.

Shopping is interesting in Barbados as there is a Newly rebuilt Shopping Market in the Terminal Building at the pier's edge. It has many shops from jewelry - Columbian Emerald & Harrisons, to clothing shops, gift shops, food shops and Liquor shops. Also has a Telephone & Communications room for calling home. Many of the cruise staff use it to call home. Open to all.

We have been there on Barbados so many times and honestly, never walked the town and done all our shopping on the pier. Outside of the pier area near where you would pickup taxis or tour buses, there are shops for those famous fancy island t-shirts and dressy Carib Shirts great for those onboard casual Topical Theme Nights.

One thing that we love to buy and I always bring back 3-4 Bags of Barbados Brown Sugar from their island's harvest. It is orginal and GREAT! I always bring it home as gifts and people can't get enought of it. Great on winter's oatmeal and farina and baking. Barbados is known for their Sugar Fields. You will not find anything like it in the USA. Just had it this weekend. You can get it the shops on the Pier in cloth bags.

Hope is helps you. Go to your local AAA travel office and get the Caribbean Travel Guide for information about all the islands. Also surf the web for those individual island websites for loads of info.

Good Cruising...........

EDSLO