Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Holland America
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 28th, 2004, 10:07 PM
Passenger

Default Westerdam

Has anyone sailed on the Westerdam? Apparently it only began sailing this year. We sail in October to the Mediterranean on the Westerdam but are having difficuly finding reviews. Any information would be welcome. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Old March 29th, 2004, 07:13 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Westerdam

She's still in the shipyards, so no one has sailed on her yet.

Wait a couple of months for reviews. I believe she is being launched sometime in April, but do not know the dates.
Old March 29th, 2004, 10:20 AM
Passenger

Thanks Dee! I guess I will have to write a review when we return.
Old April 1st, 2004, 05:29 PM
Jean Veronica

We are on the May 7th sailing of the Westerdam. From what I haear she is on schedule for her late APril sailing.

Jean
Old April 4th, 2004, 08:20 PM
Passenger

We are on a May 31 sailing - we'll be sure to post when we get back. We took an early sailing on a new Royal Caribean ship last year and just loved the newness of it. We were very excited to hear the Westerdam is new, too. Can't wait!

Westerdam
Old April 5th, 2004, 06:58 PM
Ernie

We are also scheduled on the May 31st sailing and are looking forward to the cruise. We hope that everyihing is on schedule. If anyone hears otherwise, please inform the rest of use.
Old April 5th, 2004, 08:26 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to maryann
Default Re: Re: Westerdam

I'm on the may 31st. sailing also. HAL told me that the ship is still right on schedule to be completed. Maryann
Old April 5th, 2004, 09:57 PM
Passenger

Wow - a few of us on the May 31 sailing! Have you all cruised in Europe before? Our first time in Europe and WE CAN'T WAIT!!!

Westerdam
Old April 6th, 2004, 08:07 PM
Cruise Maniac

I've never cruised or been to Europe before. I can't wait either. Have you booked any of the shore excursions? Maryann
Old April 7th, 2004, 08:54 AM
zazzy

we are sailing August 30th on the Westerdam in the mediterranean. it will be our first cruise, and first trip to europe. we are even leaving the three kiddos behind with their grandparents. can't wait to hear reviews when the first cruises are back!
zazzy
Old April 7th, 2004, 12:21 PM
JohnInSeattle

The inaugural voyage of the Westerdam will be on April 25th from Venice, Italy.
I will be on this cruise and will be happy to share my photos and personal opinions.
This will be the third Holland America ship to bear the Westerdam name.
Old April 8th, 2004, 09:07 AM
Passenger

Thanks, JohnInSeattle - that would be awesome - weeks before our cruise we could see it come to life! Very generous of you - anything you want to share would be extra fodder for my dreaming!

maryann - the only shore excursion we might book is the motorcoach trip to Rome (we like to explore on our own and we like to go cheaply). That trip is $63 and the train would be $38 so we might go ahead and take the shore excursion to avoid any time lost in transit.

My DH has never been to Europe and I've only been to Germany and Austria and that was many years ago.

zazzy!!! You sure went all out for your first cruise!!!! Good for you! This is my first ever two-week vacation - I can't imagine two whole weeks!

Westerdam
Old April 8th, 2004, 08:11 PM
Cruise Maniac

This is my first 2 week vacation ever. My boss paid for internet access on the ship so I can keep in contact with them through email. Just incase there's a major problem that they can't figure out how to fix or what to do. I bought excursions for all the cities on the itinerary. I;m travelling alone, so between the language barrier and being a woman traveling overseas alone I though the excursions would be the safest option. Have a great trip. Maryann
Old April 8th, 2004, 09:34 PM
Passenger

maryann - yikes on the internet connection!

I agree with you - if I were traveling alone I would definitely book excursions - I think that's very wise! I'm sure you'll have a grand time. I've enjoyed the excursions we've been on but my DH doesn't like to pay for them! Its okay with me since he's a very good travel companion. How adventurous of you to go on your own!! If I'm alone again I hope I will have such an adventurous spirit!

Westerdam
Old April 9th, 2004, 08:36 PM
Cruise Maniac

Pie,I know the shore excursions are very expensive. If I was traveling with someone I would venture out on my own. In the united States definetly venture out on my own without anyone, but in Europe I think this is going to be ok. Were on the same cruise so maybe we'll meet. Have a wonderful time. Maryann
Old April 13th, 2004, 08:43 AM
Passenger

I hope we'll meet! If you'd like company for a show or to do something on the ship - my husband and I would love to meet up with you. If you'd like to we could exchange info.

Westerdam
Old April 15th, 2004, 02:04 AM
Hendrikus

In a few week (I believe april 25) she begins sailing !!
Old April 15th, 2004, 09:22 AM
Admiral

KA REX - these folks are sailing in Europe - not in Alaska or our of Vancouver, so doubt they will be visiting your restaurant in BC.
Old April 15th, 2004, 03:59 PM
shirley james

I am going on the cruise 7th of may starting from venice,I am travelling alone. have you had any reports on the ship
Old April 15th, 2004, 04:17 PM
shirley james

Dear John Seattle
Could you please tell me what it was like on the Westerdam, did you vist croatia,grece turkey and malta , if so could you give me your opinion, and also on the ship,
Shirley
Old April 15th, 2004, 06:49 PM
clo

Maryann, just want to offer a tip that may relieve some anxiety if you have any. Although my first European cruise is coming up, I've visited Europe a number of times. I think you'll be VERY pleasantly surprised at how many people speak English. Especially in the kinds of places where the cruise ships visit. In Paris I can only say hello, goodbye, please and thank you and I got along just fine. English is the universal business language and, with Europe being so (relatively) small, you should have no problem. Have a great holiday.
Old April 15th, 2004, 09:10 PM
Cruise Maniac

Thanks for the advice. I just want to see evrthing the easiest and safest way possible and I was thinking that shore excursions was the way to go. I work in a place where quite a few people don't speak English and we are able to get along just fine, but being thousands a miles away from home, by myself is a little bit more tougher. Can't wait to go though. Maryann
Old April 17th, 2004, 12:53 PM
Passenger

Saw this article today!

April 16, 2004

Westerdam Officially Joins HAL Fleet
Westerdam, Holland America's third Vista-class ship, officially joined the fleet yesterday as the company accepted delivery of the vessel from Italian shipyard Fincantieri in Marghera. The ship's official dedication takes place next week -- April 25 -- in Venice. Godmother will be the Dutch actress Renee Soutendijk. The Amsterdam native, born in 1957, was a teenage Olympic gymnast; since then she has appeared in some 50 films and television programs.

Unmentioned in the excitement of the ship's delivery is the fact that Westerdam suffered from a fire last October while still under construction. The fire started on deck seven in a passenger cabin and, prior to being extinguished three hours later, had spread to decks eight and nine -- to the Lido/Magrodome area. There were no injuries. In a statement shortly afterward, Holland America president Kirk Lanterman pledged that the ship could be easily repaired and would be delivered on schedule. And, indeed, yesterday's hand-over was exactly as promised.

Signature highlights of the 85,000-ton, 1,848-passenger Westerdam include its Greenhouse Spa and thalassotherapy pool, the new Windstar Cafe coffee house, and a large number of affordable balcony cabins.

Westerdam
Old April 20th, 2004, 02:58 AM
Passenger

In case o0f being interested or venturing your own excursions in Kusadasi
you can contact me.
regards

Nejat incedogan
guidein ephesus

nincedogan@yahoo.com
Old April 22nd, 2004, 05:21 AM
Thulewx

No pix yet??
I read elsewhere that the crystal centerpiece of the Atrium is a 4 foot long galleon...
Old April 23rd, 2004, 12:59 PM
Passenger

WOW!! Now I really can't wait. Our trip is in October but I am gaining more excitement as I "catch" the enthusiasm of the other sailors. I just have one concern. Iv'e heard you can get fairly rough seas at the end of October. Yikes!!!
Does anyone have any packing info for that time of year. We are also spending 5 days in Rome at the end of the cruise. I am packing a raincoat.
Old April 24th, 2004, 09:40 AM
Tom Williams

The Westerdam's maiden voyage is 4/25. I will be sailing on her 5/31 and will be sure to let everyone know how it goes.
Old April 24th, 2004, 01:35 PM
Passenger

My partner and I will be sailing on the Westerdam out of Venice on May 19. Is anyone else booked for this sailing? We were on the Ziuderdam last October, a sister ship of the Westerdam, and loved it. We had a category S stateroom, nearly 550 square feet. It was fabulous. The Ziuderdam was very comfortable with plenty of public space and well designed. I expect the Westerdam to be just as nice or even better!
Old April 26th, 2004, 04:29 PM
Passenger

My wife and I are on the 05/19 too. We'll arrive Venice from Vancouver, B.C. on the 18th. After the cruise, two of us will venture by train 2 nights to Salzburg and Munich each before returning home.

Old April 28th, 2004, 09:31 AM
George D.

We are on the May 7 sailing. The ship is cyber friendly. So, if you have a chance, it would be great to hear from you before we start our trip (May 4 from Hawaii).