Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Holland America
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 5th, 2004, 05:30 PM
clo

Default Manicure/pedicure costs

We're leaving in about a week for a cruise on the Noordam. I'm running out of time and was thinking that maybe I'd get a manicure/pedicure once I'm on the ship. Sometimes spas are awfully expensive. Does anyone remember what they've paid for these? Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Old May 6th, 2004, 09:39 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Manicure/pedicure costs

Have had a pedicure and manicure and both were awful. The girl made a mess of applying the nail polish. I can't remmeber the cost as it was some time ago but I do remember it was very expensive compared to what I pay at home. If you have time, have them done at home.
Old May 6th, 2004, 11:31 AM
debbieg

have them done at home unless it has changed in the last year my nails were don terrible and its was a formal night andd i was pressed for time so i left but never went back for the pedicure or a hair do i did it myself and it was okat, i was not impressed with the service and will never do that again just my opioin(spelling is wrong sorry).
Old May 6th, 2004, 08:00 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: Manicure/pedicure costs

Good advice here and I agree, if u can get it done at home do so although that said - I had a wonderful man/ped last spring on Zaandam to Alaska. I think it might have something to do with how busy they are as the 'gal' who did me commented that 'I was clever to come in well before formal nite' sooo? The cost was over $50 but thats all I remember sorry. Off soon on same cruise, same ship (just luv Alaska & HAL natch..) and will find out in person and post it for you (back on here on the 30th). Happy cruisin'! :0)
Old May 6th, 2004, 09:54 PM
joand452

We just got off the Zuiderdam last week, and I brought home The Greenhouse Spa brochure. I don't know if this would be the same outfit as on the Noordam, but the prices I have listed are $25 for a traditional mani and $40 for traditional pedi. A fill is $40 (ouch!).

Have a great cruise (and I'd get the nails down at home, too, but the spa is very relaxing).

Joan D.
Fairfax VA
Old May 7th, 2004, 12:45 PM
RDMOREU

Default Re: Re: Manicure/pedicure costs

JoanD Do you know if that was $40.00 for an acrylic fill you'd cover with nail polish or for an acrylic French Manicure (pink/white)? Is there any mention of 'repairing' a broken nail? Thanks for your help! Dolores
Old August 25th, 2004, 11:18 AM
paigedygert

get it done at home, the staff on these ships are not great at nails but they are at massages!
Old August 30th, 2004, 09:04 AM
slotl

I have had the Massage and the facial on many different cruise lines (at that time all the cruise lines used the same spa consignment).

I have NEVER had a good experience using the spa for ANY service on any ship. They are overpriced, the staff is not that experienced, you do not get full hour massages and facials only 50 minutes. Of that 50 minutes, you need to change clothes, the attendent introduces herself and asks if you want anything special. They do about 30 minutes worth of service and then when you are naked and "content" try to sell you product at extraordinary prices. Then the last 10 minutes are reserved for you to get dressed, settle up your bill, tip, and leave.

My opinion, the "cost" of the spa service is too great in money, time, and trying my patience.

Get the services done by your favorite shop BEFORE you go on the cruise.

Maybe someday the cruise lines will get smart and consign the spa to organizations who hire more experienced help. Also, the spa needs to STOP paying the attendents commissions for the products they sell. I, for one, do not like to be a captive audience for a sales pitch on product.

From the responses above, I think most experienced cruisers have figured out the scam provided by the "beauty salon".

Hope this helps,

Slotl

Oct 3rd Prisendam --- here it come!!