Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Holland America
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 24th, 2004, 02:43 PM
Another newbie

Default Zuiderdam balconies

I am booked on the Dec 11 Zuiderdam cruise and have a forward balcony on the Upper Verandah deck. Does anyone know if the balconies can be viewed from upper decks?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Old November 24th, 2004, 05:29 PM
venice

Default Re: Zuiderdam balconies

we were in cabin 6132 on the upper veranda and you can only see someone on the balcony if they are in fact standing right at the balcony or leaning over..otherwise, it's pretty private

fyi, we LOVED the Zuiderdam
Old December 5th, 2004, 02:30 AM
Beginner

I think we were on the 8th floor as our room number started with an eight.
Yes, people could see us from the only upper deck from us which was like an exercise deck where people could walk. They could only see us if they look over the side which I found out accidentally ; )
People can also look under the wall between the balconies if they really wanted too or just look around the edge out over the rail. It's pretty private but people can see you if they want too.
This was my first cruise and I hated the zuiderdam. We were closer to the back of the boat so we felt every wave. The 15 foot swells for 36 hours didnít help either.
The food was not very good from what I had been told about cruise ships.
I want to try a bigger ship with my room in the middle of the boat on a lower deck to help with sea sickness.
The crew was great and the boat was pretty but I hated everything else.
I hope your experience is much better and there are no waves.
Have fun,
Amber
Old December 23rd, 2004, 03:47 PM
tiredcruiser

Hey Bamber - we must have been on the same cruise. Certainly I felt about the Zuiderdam the same way - rocky yes, but hey HAL can't control the ocean! The boat was pretty - pretty tired, pretty long, pretty tacky and pretty sad with respect to the menus.
Pinnacle Grill was great though.

As for balconines -we had the aft suite on 8th floor and I don't think anyone could see us at the back - now at the side the folks leaning over the lido deck could see us - just as we could see the heads of all those below us.

If you want privacy - 8128 or 8135 aft suites are the best - unless you are hanging over the balcony no one can see you.

Great staff handling some extraordinarily rude passengers. Why is it that people leave their manners at home when they go on a cruise. You can address problems (which we had to many times )- without being loud, rude, aggressive or obnoxious, in fact there is a lot to be said for the old adage - you catch more flies with honey!!
Old April 7th, 2005, 03:11 PM
Beginner

Default Re: Re: Zuiderdam balconies

Hi Tidecruiser

I wonder if we were on the same cruise??? That would be kewl..

Aft is just the back of the ship correct? We were at the back as well. Right by the stairs and elevators that went up to the cafeteria which I think was the lido deck.
I know they canít control the ocean but I didnít think the newer ships moved that much no matter how big the waves were. Like I said, next time it will be lower deck in the middle of the ship for me and a much bigger ship. If we even go on another cruise since I hated the sea sickness so much.

Since I donít remember when we went did you have a real fire emergency on your cruise do to a bad belt in the a.c. of one passengerís room? We did.

We did a lot of research before this trip and I think this ship and cruise line rated 3 stars out of 5. I think now I will only go on 4 or 5 star cruises. The ship was nice but I expected a LOT better food. And yes, the Pinnacle Grill was very very good! Hunky Dory was hilarious too! We met him while he was on an offshore excursion on his own time when we were headed for scuba diving in St. Thomas.

Next time I go and I encounter rude passengers I think I may let them have it. I hope every cruise is not like that.

Happy cruising,
Amber
Old April 11th, 2005, 08:02 PM
Cruise Maniac

NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!