Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Holland America
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 2nd, 2005, 08:50 PM
Familiar Face

Default Halifax

HI.. Anyone been to halifax??
My ship is going there and there is literally nothing on the offered "tours" that looks interesting.. Pier 21 (Halifax) seems to have lots of walking distance shopping???
Anyone know of anything to do there that is outside of a tour??
Thanks in advanced! Terri
Sponsored Links
Old January 26th, 2005, 10:33 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to geoff
Default Re: Halifax

The pier in Halifax is pretty far from anything other than the railway station and a hotel there. Peggy's cove is worth the trip - but a taxi into Halifax for a walkabout is worth the few dollars
Old January 27th, 2005, 04:36 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Halifax

Hi, I live in Halifax and my suggestion for shopping would be to hop a bus, the #1 will take you to the Shopping Ctr.'s we use. There are great shops at port on the boardwalk for window shopping, but they are priced VERY high for tourists. Looks nice though. There is lots of history. The Halifax Citadel is just up the hill from where you dock and is filled with information about the Harbour Explosion and another Historical event, the Titanic, has a graveyard filled with stories of people who died (written on the tombstones). There are replicas and salvage from some of the bigger ship wrecks right at the museums, including a large part dedicated to the Titanic, and they are along the boardwalk. I go there myself a couple times a year.

Hopefully "some" of the snow will have melted and you will surprise yourself with the things you find to do here. I live near Peggy's Cove and it is "Postcard" beautiful.

Most of all, it is safe, the people are friendly and always happy to help visitors and new friends.

Have a great cruise and a Big Maritime Welcome!

Dani
Old January 31st, 2005, 09:56 AM
Beginner

Default Re: Re: Halifax

First I want to say I have been to Halifax and Peggy's Cove and you can't go wrong there. Peggy's Cove really is POSTCARD beautiful.

Dani wrote "Most of all, it is safe, the people are friendly and always happy to help visitors and new friends."

I also can vouch for this. Dani, all of you from Nova Scotia are wonderful people. I know first hand as my brother was on Swissair Flight 111 so I have been there a few times. I don't know if you were there in 1998 but since you live near Peggy's Cove you probably got to see or meet some of the families. I'll never forget the way all of you "took care" of us....

As far as things to see in Halifax and the area. Across the street from the Lord Nelson Hotel there is a wonderful park. I enjoyed just walking around there and sitting on the benches.

The cemetary where the people from the Titanic are burried is an interesting place to see. But the best place to go is to Peggy's Cove if you can get out there. If I remember correctly it's about a 45 minute drive from Halifax, maybe a little less.

Also near Peggy's Cove is the public memorial for the 229 people who lost their lives on Swissair Flight 111. The people of Nova Scotia built a wonderful memorial that is the 3 corners of a huge triangle. There is a public memorial near Peggy's Cove. Then there's a family memorial where some of the remains were burried in Bayswater. Here is a link that explains it as it is a magnificent memorial that explains it with maps.

This link shows the Whalesback Memorial close to Peggy's Cove. A coupel shots show the Peggy's Cove Light house and you can see how magnificent it looks there:
http://www.newscotland1398.net/hfxrm/swisswhale.html

This link shows the family memorial where remains are burried in Bayswater:
http://www.newscotland1398.net/lunenco/swissbaysw.html

If anyone plans to be there please say a prayer for the 229 souls.

Nobby

Post Edited (01-31-05 10:00)