Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Holland America
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 24th, 2005, 01:28 PM
Passenger

Default Zuiderdam VB Quad Cabins

Has anyone had a VB Quad cabin? Have they done the Bedding upgrade yet on the upper Veranda deck? Thanks any Zuiderdam info would be helpfull we are traveling with 2 teens
Sponsored Links
Old June 24th, 2005, 04:38 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Zuiderdam VB Quad Cabins

I had a VB double on the upper verandah deck - no upgrades on the bedding yet, but still it was pretty comfortable
Old June 24th, 2005, 06:33 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Zuiderdam VB Quad Cabins

PJ was anything upgraded yet? Any other info you can give me would be great.We are doing the Eastern. Thanks
Old June 25th, 2005, 09:16 AM
Cruise Maniac

From talking with one of the assistant cruise directors, the ship is supposed to go into drydock in December for a complete overhaul. Some rooms have upgrades, but the room I had on the upper verandah deck did not. But don't let that worry you....this is one fine ship even before the upgrades.

We just got back from the Eastern Caribbean - fantastic time. Half Moon Cay is gorgeous - from what i understand, if you want a clamshell or jetski or pretty much any other excursion, it is best to book it thru the cruiseline well in advance as they sell out fast. We're pretty easygoing...a beachtowel on the beach was fine for us.

Tortola is beautiful - we went out on our own to an Island called Jost Van Dyke. Conde Nast says it's one of the 10 most beautiful beaches in the world, and I can't argue - nearest thing to a private island I've ever been on...no more than 20 folks on it (which means there are no ship excursions to it). But I really liked it, not commercial at all and very pretty

If you like shopping, St Thomas is great. If you like beaches, St Thomas is great.

Nassau - crowded, but still nice

As far as the ship - we never lacked for things to do. I was talking to some kids who were in the teen club and they really seemed to like the program that HAL had. I took my 11 year old daughter on this cruise last year and she had a blast in the kids club.

Our VB cabin was nice - although is was smaller than the K category inside cabin that my daughter and I had, it was still nice, and sitting on the balcony watching the stars at night was really nice too.

Food was really good. If you like steaks, then you really need to go to the Pinnacle Grill at least once. The steaks were far better there than in the main dining room. You can get into the Pinnacle the first night for $10 per person (instead of the usual $20) . My wife prefers seafood and wasn't terribly impressed with the fish offereings, but the steaks....my oh my!!!

Main dining room still had excellent food and service. Lido buffet was one of the nicest I have seen...they have several "stations" for different types of food (Italian, Continental, Asian - including a sushi bar - and a Deli)...lines were never terribly long there.

I preferred the aft pool area, although there were far more activities on the main Lido pool. The exercise facilities are very good - beautiful views from the windows while you bike or tread.

We loved walking the Promenade deck outside...3 times around is a mile. A real treat is to take a book and get on one of the comfy chaise lounges on that deck...

Shows were good, most of the bars were good with good entertainment, although the gal at the piano bar was a good pianist, she was, shall we say - vocally challenged.

Bottom line, I'd do the Zuiderdam again in a heartbeat, even without the upgrades.
Old June 25th, 2005, 05:36 PM
Passenger

Thanks PJ we have a clam shell booked,and also some kink of personal watercraft tour,and we also booked Virgin Gorda& Baths I was told to becarefull booking outside venders in Tortola,I just wanted to book something and a lot is already sold out.We leave 7-23.How did you get to that island? and what was there? My Boys are 18&15 they played basketball everyday on our cruise with RCI last year.We are looking to veg not tour,so I have no ideas for St Thomas or Nassau. We couldnt do it w/o the balconey,we brought a lot of wine and really enjoyed haveing it there at night. If you have any other info feel free to email me thanks!
Old June 26th, 2005, 06:31 AM
Cruise Maniac

To get to Jost, I took a cab to the west side ferry docks, then caught a ferry over there. What was there? Nothing! - well, there was Ivan's Stress Free Bar and the Soggy Dollar bar...all on the beach. But it was so "non commercial", and that's what I really liked about it. That's what I really liked about Tortola - it just wasn't commercial at all. When I took my daughter last year, we couldn't get her hair braided at Half Moon Cay (they wanted $50) and we were too busy in St Thomas - so we did it in Tortola...went into a beauty salon and asked, they told me $20. Why hassle... I gave the gal a $10 tip - and still saved money.
Old July 20th, 2005, 12:57 PM
Kelly Zieber

will it be hard to get to jost van dyke with a 9 mo old and a stroller ???
Old July 26th, 2005, 11:06 AM
Cruise Maniac

Sorry for the delay - it shouldn't be too much trouble - the ferry boat has a covered area to sit, or you can sit on the back deck. It's a pretty short ride over. From the marina at Jost, there is a cab that will take you over to White Bay beach - it's a short, but very very steep walk, so there's no way I'd try to get a stroller over there. The cab will drop you off right on the beach. Just be aware of the ferry times, especially for the return.
Old July 26th, 2005, 12:32 PM
Kelly Zieber

thank you so much for the info . We will have to get creative with the baby ... is there anything to do on Jost Van Dyke by the marina ?? somewhere stroller friendly ??
Old July 26th, 2005, 02:02 PM
Cruise Maniac

There isn't a lot to do at Jost but sun and swim. There are several famous bars around (Foxy's, Ivans Stress Free Bar, Soggy Dollar). But there is no "hustle and bustle", and there is basically no shopping. But it IS beautiful and the water feels great. As far as taking a stroller - the cab that runs back and forth to White Bay beach is big - a stroller would fit just fine. And I don't think you'd have a problem with a stroller on the ferry either. I was only saying there's no way I'd walk there with a stroller. But you really wouldn't need a stroller as the roads are either sand or gravel. I'd set up under the shade of a palm tree, let the baby play in the sand, wade into the water with them and just enjoy. But do take a LOT of sunscreen.
Old July 28th, 2005, 09:10 AM
Kelly Zieber

thanks so much . I really appreciate it , i am a little apprehensive taking the baby but my husband is not . I liked to be prepared for everything .