Old August 6th, 2005, 03:03 PM
Familiar Face

Default Don't want to bring it home with me...

Zaandam question:

Food is a wonderful part of this whole cruise experience however I do not want to bring it home with me on my hips, etc. I plan to enjoy but not overendulge... keeping in mind I will be eating things I do not normally allow myself at home (because of calories/fat not cost) I want to keep some kind of exercize (enjoyable) going on a daily basis.

I'm in my fifties and normally walk my treadmill or do some "Curves" workouts.. What has your experience been with keeping up some sort of exercize. Is the gym intimidating? I understand walking on deck is a great way to get in some exercize and enjoy the Alaskan scenery.

How have you been able to indulge a little in the "goodies" and keep the scale down.

Love to hear your recommendations...

Thanks
Old August 6th, 2005, 03:17 PM
hombre

Default Re: Don't want to bring it home with me...

no one HAS to gain weight on a cruise. i have a good breakfast, maybe a nice salad for lunch, and a reasonable dinner. walking on tours, some trips to the pool, etc. take care of it for me. and, not to open a controversial topic, i sample desserts, but am not gluttonous about it all. don't worry; enjoy.
Old August 6th, 2005, 05:10 PM
venice

check and see if the Zaandam has the hydro therapy pool in the spa (I know the Zuiderdam does)..If so, you can do a great water aerobic workout once a day that will help with the weight control...I usually do a nice walk around the top deck for 2-3 miles in the morning and then the hydro therapy workout just before I get dressed for dinner and it helps alot

Also, eat alot of fruit for breakfast and small portions with some salad for lunch then you can pig out for dinner. I happen to love fish and don't eat alot of meat which helps.

Or the standard rule of thumb..diet and lose at least as many pounds as days you will be away (don't forget to count your travel day going) and you won't have to worry about gaining weight and having tight clothes
Old August 7th, 2005, 06:23 PM
First Mate

You really shouldn't have a problem - breakfast in the Lido offers so may healthy choices as does lunch - for dinner there are items 'starred with little hearts' to keep you on track. You can walk to your hearts content on the all around deck - it's good to bring along a little willpower too.Working out on board these days seem to be an additional cost.

I've never been on a diet and live with the thought that a LITTLE of what you fancy is good for you - ALWAYS LEAVE THE TABLE FEELING YOU COULD EAT MORE. Drink only BERORE OR AFTER A MEAL , NEVER EVER DURING THE MEAL. Have two spoonsfulls of ice crean instead of two scoops!

I just can't see the merit of pigging out for 7 or 10 days and then living on lettuce leaves for the next month - makes no sense to me!
Old August 8th, 2005, 11:58 AM
Cruise Maniac

Suki,

What's wrong with drinking during a meal? I've always had at least water with every meal I've ever eaten, and I don't have a weight problem. I've never heard of this advise. Could you please explain. Thanks.

Old August 8th, 2005, 01:13 PM
First Mate

Cruisecrazy 2,

For most people there's nothing wrong with drinking with meals - it 's when you're feeling full and then drink to make more space for food you probably don't need.

As it was explained to me, drinking too much with a meal liquifys the food instead of it being processed naturally. I'm no doctor but I believe the explanation. Never been overweight in my life and very much enjoy a glass of wine with a meal.
Old August 9th, 2005, 09:28 AM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via MSN to BrendaS Send a message via Yahoo to BrendaS

The views of Eastern medicine behind the idea of drinking vs not drinking during a meal is that liquids dilute digestive juices which slows digestion. Slow digestion means longer digestion time, which in turn means a longer time in the GI tract. And ultimately that is supposed to mean more time to pack the fat on the hips. But, I am thin and I drink during meals, so the "theory" (although it sounds good) doesn't carry much weight with me (oh, did I make a pun??)
Old August 9th, 2005, 01:52 PM
Katerina

Seasick - I was on the Zaandam for 24 days - ate anything I wanted and only gained 4 pounds. I think the secret was walking - we tried to do a couple of miles around the deck daily, also went to the gym and used the treadmills and bikes. Also, the distance from the front to back of the ship is almost a quarter mile and when you walk from end to end for all the activities, meals etc. it really adds up. I am going to take my pedometer next time just to see how far we walk in a day.

Must admit that we ate a lot of fruit and salads just as we do at home, but did enjoy the desserts. My husband ate bread pudding every day and actually lost a pound. Those little chocolate things they leave on the pillow went into a bag and were taken home for the grandchildren!

Have a wonderful cruise and enjoy!
Old August 9th, 2005, 05:16 PM
Eve

Personally, I find that I almost lose a little weight on a cruise. For me, it's because I eat terribly at home. Living alone, I don't usually bother with healthy meals. When it's all right there already prepared for you, it's easy to make good choices. I'm also a soft drink drinker, and since I can't get my favorite on a cruise, I switch to Diet Coke. That always helps me too.

While there is an abundance of food and many choices, the portions are not huge. Also, the dinner menus are marked with healthy items so make those choices once in awhile. There's really no need to gain weight on a cruise. As long as you are mobile, get out and walk at the very least.
Old August 9th, 2005, 07:25 PM
slotl

Give up the elevators and walk the stairs.

Better you than me!!

Enjoy your cruise. Don't worry about added pounds, just go for it!

Prinsendam British Isles
Old August 13th, 2005, 12:10 PM
Dixie Lee

Lost 3 1/2 pounds on our Alaskan cruise. Did more walking that I have done in months!
Dixie Lee
Old August 15th, 2005, 08:50 PM
Captain

We cruise 5 or so times a year. We never gain more than a pound or two which we take off as soon as we return home.

We use the treadmills in the gym and/or we exercise walk Promenade Deck about 2 miles a day....not a leisurely stroll but brisk walking. Sometimes I use some of the other machines in the gym but not too much of that,

We don't eat everything in sight but have a treat or two that we don't allow ourselves at home.

Don't worry too much about it. If it is your habit to eat carefully, it's a habit you carry with you on vacation and you should do fine.

Enjoy.
Old August 16th, 2005, 05:33 PM
Cruise Maniac

I actually lost weight when I cruised,I used the stairs to and from the dining room and had whatever I wanted to eat. Wish I could do as well at home