Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Holland America
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 7th, 2005, 03:36 PM
Passenger

Send a message via MSN to babcie3
Default Volendam 10 night Caribbean Cruise

Hello,

We are looking at taking the Volendam 10 night Caribbean Cruise in March 2006. Has anyone taken this cruise and if so, what can you tell me about? Any and all information would be appreciate. We have never been to the Caribbean so we can use all the help we can get. This is only our second cruise, first one was on Carnival Victory to Canada. We have friends that will be going with us and they have never cruised before so I would like to give them all the information I can. Would love to hear about the ports,
activities and the ship. Also, does Holland America have a midnight show like Carnival?

Thank you very much.

Joanne
Sponsored Links
Old August 7th, 2005, 05:35 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Volendam 10 night Caribbean Cruise

Posting your ports of call would be helpful. Somebody's sure to have been to at least some of them.

Keep in mind, it may well be School Break time........lots of kids on board. Is that to your liking?
Old August 7th, 2005, 06:25 PM
Admiral

Very, very rarely does HAL have an "adult" show at midnight. The last show starts at 10:15pm and then every week the Indonesian and Filipino crew put on a show at around 11:30pm

As Suki said - the names of the ports you will be visiting would be helpful.

I can say you've chosen my favoruite ship - have cruise on her a few times and 2 future cruises booked.
Old August 7th, 2005, 06:53 PM
Passenger

Sorry. I guess the ports would be helpful. They are:
Oranjestad, Aruba
Willemstad
Roseau, Dominica
Cabrits, Dominica...for 1 hour?
St. Thomas
Half Moon Cay
Then back to Fort Lauderdale

Thanks.

Since Easter is not until April 15th or 16th, would we still run into Spring Break?
Old August 7th, 2005, 08:12 PM
Admiral

You could. Spring break here in ..Ontario, Canada and other parts of Canada, is around the middle of March and I know a lot of US schools are out in March.
You will probably find that most of the kids are on 7 day cruises, though.

I was quite interested in your "user name". My grandkids call me Babcia, which is Grandmother in Polish.
Old August 7th, 2005, 08:30 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Volendam 10 night Caribbean Cruise

Yes, I'm Polish. I know Babcia is Grandmother in Polish but my kids had called my Mom Babcie since they were toddlers. My Dad was Jadek (spelling?). Which should be Grandfather, I think.
Are you from Canada? My parents had Polish friends in Canada.
Old August 8th, 2005, 06:18 AM
Admiral

Yes, I am Canadian of Polish descent. My kids called my Mom Babcie and my Grandmother, Big Babcie. I don't know the spelling for Grandfather, but my kids called my Dad, Gagek. Now that both my Mother and Grandmother are gone, I'm Babcie or Babcia.

I haven't been to the islands you mentioned for a long time as we seem to have been doing the Western Carib the last few years. In November we will be doing the Eastern Carib and visiting the islands you listed above, so I can let you know what we did after I come back.

There is so much to do in St. Thomas. Shopping, take a ship's excursion around the island or go to one of their glorious beaches. Half Moon Cay - we just get a clam shell and veg out on the beach. Gorgeous white sand and cool blue/green water. A BBQ lunch is served which is delicious.

You are only in Cabrits for 1 hour to pick up the passengers who did the whole day tour in Rosseau. You won't be getting off the ship here.

Suki is very knowledgable, so I am sure she will have some suggestions.

Check out the excursions listed on HAL's web site.
Old August 8th, 2005, 09:10 AM
Cruise Maniac

Half Moon Cay is a highlight - it is a paradise beach.

We took a sailing/snorkeling excursion to St. John at the St. Thomas stop. It was great.
Old August 10th, 2005, 07:32 PM
mike lafferty

Dear Babcie

It has been a couple of years since we last cruised the southern caribbean and the ports we visited were not exactly same in all cases but were similar. We have cruised with Holland America taking a western caribbean, easteran caribbean and the 10 day southern cruises. My wife and I agree that of the three the southern cruise was our favorate.

If at all possible try to book a snorkeling tour in either Orinjestad or Willemstad, Some of the best snorkeling in the world is in this part of the Caribbean. The water is warm and the variety of fish is fantastic. St. Thomas is the place to shop on the cruise if that is something you are interested in.

Half Moon Cay has always been a highlight of any Hal Caribbean cruise. The water is a little cooler but certainly not cold or uncomfortable. It is such a relaxing place with plenty of things to do. Hal provides a very nice picnic lunchon on the private island. If this is not your thing you can return to the ship and eat a formal lunch.

The Volendam does not offer a midnight show but there is still plenty of opprotunitys for dancing and partying. I believe they do offer a theme buffet each evening however as second seating diners we seldom indulged as we were still full from dinner.

I can't tell you anything about Dominica as I don't recall ever stopping there.

I don't think spring break will be an issue as most kids who would cruise would more likely take a 7 day cruise. Be aware however that during this time of year booking flights to Florida can be a problem so book early, The same goes for hotels or motels.

I hope you do decide to take this cruise and feel certain you will have a very good time.