Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Holland America
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 25th, 2007, 04:16 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to jhannah
Default What Would Be Your Dream Charter Cruise?

Venice posted about an all-charter theme cruise, and how wonderful it was to be on a ship where everyone had the same interest and where the entertainment was targeted toward that.

I have seen several theme cruises advertised or reviewed. I know the Gaithers have one every now and then for those who are fans of gospel music.

I think a great charter cruise would be along the lines of Gourmet at Sea. I know visiting chefs come onboard on a hit-or-miss basis. But I'm talking about a cruise featuring two (maybe three) top chefs who would stage demonstrations and oversee food preparation for the sailing. Shore excursions could feature lunch in respected establishments ashore and visits to noted vineyards. Imagine a cruise with Emeril Lagasse and Wolfgang Puck!

How about you? What would be your dream charter cruise?
Old February 25th, 2007, 06:05 PM
Admiral

I'd love to do another writer's conference at sea ... or more like a writer's retreat. Make it at least a 14-day cruise, though, so that attendees can make some real progress with their writing during the voyage.

You could do a charter like this on a TransAtlantic since sea days are what you want in order to have classes. Then have an optional land-based program at the end of the cruise, where attendees can write about the areas they tour.

I actually attended a writer's retreat at sea on my first cruise. But, I would like to see something done that was more expanded, allowing plenty of time for the attendees to work with writing coaches and established author instructors throughout the duration of a somewhat lengthy cruise.

Other programs can be held while on the ship ... cocktail parties and book signings, critique sessions ... the works. I think there are enough budding writers out there to really make something like this fly ... especially if the particular cruise itinerary selected were something that was reasonably affordable. Then, the land program would be strictly optional. Those who really couldn't afford it could just head home after the cruise and they still would have had a banner vacation, not to mention learning experience.

Blue skies ...

--rita
Old February 25th, 2007, 06:58 PM
Admiral

Default Re: What Would Be Your Dream Charter Cruise?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhannah
Venice posted about an all-charter theme cruise, and how wonderful it was to be on a ship where everyone had the same interest and where the entertainment was targeted toward that.

I have seen several theme cruises advertised or reviewed. I know the Gaithers have one every now and then for those who are fans of gospel music.

I think a great charter cruise would be along the lines of Gourmet at Sea. I know visiting chefs come onboard on a hit-or-miss basis. But I'm talking about a cruise featuring two (maybe three) top chefs who would stage demonstrations and oversee food preparation for the sailing. Shore excursions could feature lunch in respected establishments ashore and visits to noted vineyards. Imagine a cruise with Emeril Lagasse and Wolfgang Puck!

wow; so many possibilities here: the Gourmet cruise would certainly appeal to me: when can we go? A music cruise with nothing but the sounds of the 40,50s and 60s would be good especially if they could get a few of the entertainers on board (I think there are a handful still alive) : that theme would play well if they were some of the old folk singers from the 60s or country and western from the same era into the 70s. I don't mean big band, that has been done.

I love Bridge, but don't think I could do an entire charter theme around it, I would have to deal with too many players that are better than me or think they are the best. Bridge players can be pains in the @ss you know.

The last one that comes to mind right now would be an entire charter of elected officials that share our political views. I won't mention which party but it would be interesting, to say the least.

NMNita
Old February 25th, 2007, 08:01 PM
Admiral

Nmnita...would it not be more interesting in having both major political parties onboard and tell them they cannot go to their first port of call until they come to an agreement about how to work together in a bi-partisian effort to make health care more affordable and to ensure no child goes without health care in the greatest county on earth ?

Or bring all of the great scientist together to discover a cure for AIDS ?

A cruise could solve alot of the world's problems
Old February 26th, 2007, 10:14 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by venice
Nmnita...would it not be more interesting in having both major political parties onboard and tell them they cannot go to their first port of call until they come to an agreement about how to work together in a bi-partisian effort to make health care more affordable and to ensure no child goes without health care in the greatest county on earth ?

Or bring all of the great scientist together to discover a cure for AIDS ?

A cruise could solve alot of the world's problems
Well that might be a good idea: may make for an interesting cruise, but I am afraid someone, maybe even me, might get thrown overboard if tempers started to heat up.
Old February 26th, 2007, 12:52 PM
Admiral

what you would do is assign cabins with roommates from opposite parties..nothing like having an inside cabin with just a shower to make room mates learn to compromise.

As issues are resolved, they can be moved to the next level cabins, and the first room mates to solve the health care issue could finish off the cruise in the royal suite

that should be incentive enough to work thru these issues

if people just sat down and talked and found common ground, the world would be alot better off
Old February 26th, 2007, 03:43 PM
Cruise Maniac

DW and I work in the Anesthesia field and have have been on several cruises offering continuing education credit seminars. While not a full charter, its a large enough group with similar interests and usually includes many of our friends and co-workers. Its a wonderful way to learn new things and have a good time doing it. Plus, it makes our cruise tax deductible, and thats not too shabby either.

Tim

Western Caribbean - Holland America Westerdam

Alaska Explorer - Holland America Westerdam
Old February 26th, 2007, 03:45 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaggy
DW and I work in the Anesthesia field and have have been on several cruises offering continuing education credit seminars.
What fun is a cruise where everyone's put to sleep??
Old February 26th, 2007, 03:48 PM
Cruise Maniac

Funny stuff, Jim. Well, we dont have to take you all the way to sleep. We can stop right at making you very happy

Tim

Western Caribbean - Holland America Westerdam

Alaska Explorer - Holland America Westerdam
Old February 26th, 2007, 06:01 PM
Admiral

Quote:
DW and I work in the Anesthesia field and have have been on several cruises offering continuing education credit seminars.
Hope you don't put each other to sleep, though.

Sorry ... couldn't resist.

Blue skies ...

--rita
Old February 26th, 2007, 07:09 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Well, we dont have to take you all the way to sleep. We can stop right at making you very happy
Count me in! Maybe you could set up shop onboard ship. Sort of a jazzed-up version of an oxygen bar!

I have two good friends in your field. One is an M.D. and the other a C.R.N.A. Fine people!
Old February 28th, 2007, 06:21 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhannah

We would be with you on this Jim. We love good food and wine and could not think of anything better than cruising with some top chefs.

The only drawback would be our weight after eating so much good food and drinking so much good wine. I could imagine going home weighing kilograms more than we normally do. We do try, when we cruise, not to put on weight but if we were on this sort of cruise, we would find it very difficult.

Jennie

Until we sail on the Nautica - HongKong to Athens
Old March 1st, 2007, 09:12 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiegal
The only drawback would be our weight after eating so much good food and drinking so much good wine. I could imagine going home weighing kilograms more than we normally do. We do try, when we cruise, not to put on weight but if we were on this sort of cruise, we would find it very difficult.
Not necessarily. Just make sure the charter cruise had a goodly number of ports with included shore excursions that involved some walking ... perhaps visited a fresh vegetable market, or a fine restaurant, or whatever.

I actually find that when I go on cruises where I do a lot of shore tours that I don't gain much weight at all. The running around in port burns off the extra calories I consume on the ship.

On my 30-day Hawaii/South Pacific cruise last January I only gained something like a pound and a half ... not very much at all. And, believe me, I rarely missed a meal during that cruise.

Blue skies ...

--rita