Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Holland America
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 28th, 2007, 04:37 PM
Beginner

Default New to the boards and cruising.

Hello everyone! I have been checking out the boards, and wanted to introduce myself. I am new to cruising. My mom, cousin and I are in the midst of planning a "girls" cruise in Feb or March of next year. We are planning on cruising Holland America and we are pretty excited. My cousin is an experienced cruiser, so she is our "guide". Poor girl.

I'm looking forward to learning more, the posts I have had the chance to explore are very informative and helpful. I'm getting a grasp on some of this cruising business!

~Ashley
Sponsored Links
Old February 28th, 2007, 04:40 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to jhannah

Welcome to CruiseMates and cruising Holland America style. Where do you plan to go?
Old February 28th, 2007, 04:44 PM
Beginner

Ah, the most important part and I forgot it! We are headed for the Caribbean. We are planning on 10-14 days and haven't decided on an Eastern, Western or Southern route.

My mom has been the Eastern Route and my cousin has seen it all. They keep asking me. I keep saying "It's the Caribbean...really that's all I need!"

I'm up for suggestions of great ports. We love to shop (of course) and I am a scenery/history enthusiast over a sport or beach lover.
Old February 28th, 2007, 04:49 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to jhannah

A Western itinerary that visits Cozumel would be nice. Tulum and other ancient sites can be toured from there.
Old February 28th, 2007, 05:28 PM
Passenger

Ashley,

Welcome to the Boards. We have only been to the Caribbean once and that was in October last year but we did enjoy Grenada, Aruba and Barbados. I am not sure what part of the Caribbean they are in, but all those places were interesting.

Jennie

Until we sail on the Nautica - HongKong to Athens
Old February 28th, 2007, 05:35 PM
First Mate

Default New to the boards and cruising

Ashley

Welcome to the greatest board on the net and the nicest and most informative people you could find.

Whatever questions you can come up with, the moderators and some of us can answer them. We have a lot of "many time cruisers" on these boards, and they have "been there and done that" many times.

crabbie1
Old March 1st, 2007, 06:42 PM
Passenger

Hi Ashley,

I am by no means an experienced cruiser, but I have done the Western Caribbean, and to add to Jim's comment re Cozumel, they also have great shopping!

Bonnie
Old March 2nd, 2007, 04:20 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by waiting2retire
I am by no means an experienced cruiser, but I have done the Western Caribbean, and to add to Jim's comment re Cozumel, they also have great shopping!
I too agree with Jim's comment. You can't go wrong with the Western Caribbean. There's something there for everyone ... great sights and nice water-related excursions as well.

Blue skies ...

--rita
Old March 2nd, 2007, 04:15 PM
Beginner

Thanks everyone for the great welcome! I am looking forward to learning more and getting this cruise booked!

Ashley
Old March 2nd, 2007, 05:25 PM
Cruise Maniac

Ashley,

I dont know where your coming from, but if you're in the northeast, the 11 day Southern Caribbean itineraries on the Noordam out of New York City look real inviting. A total of 6 port days (Tortola, Dominica, Barbados, St. Maarten, St. Thomas and San Juan) in a row bookended by 2 full sea days from and back to New York.

Relax for 2 days, go port crazy for 6 days then relax for 2 more days. Sounds good to me.

Tim

Western Caribbean - Holland America Westerdam

Alaska Explorer - Holland America Westerdam
Old March 2nd, 2007, 05:34 PM
Admiral

AShley, Welcome, we are filled with advise, right or wrong we all love to give it. I agree with Tim; the Southern Caribbean has the best and most versital ports. At least in my opinion. If snorkeling is your thing you might want to look at the Western, but I still think the southern is the best. Whichever you choose you will have a wonderful experience I am sure. One of my favorite cruising buddies is my daughter and I am one of hers. NMnita