Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Holland America
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 7th, 2007, 11:03 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Are the Pools open in port on Noorsdam on the Alaska cruise

Carnival had netting over their pools when we were in port, so I was just wondering if you could swim in the pools on Noorsdam when it was in port. This Alaska cruise has a lot of days in port after we cruise the glacier. I thought maybe I could swim without it being crowded if we could swim when everyone was discovering the ports. How cold is the water in the pools on the Noorsdam in July?
Sponsored Links
Old June 7th, 2007, 12:24 PM
Passenger

Pools will be open in port. Pool located in center of Lido deck is underneath a sliding cover, so plenty warm in there.
Old June 8th, 2007, 12:04 PM
Cruise Maniac

Thank you so much for the quick answer. I am so excited and can hardly wait to go.
Old June 12th, 2007, 12:34 PM
Passenger

When do you go?
Old June 16th, 2007, 03:36 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Are the Pools open in port on Noorsdam on the Alaska cru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dianeisme313
Carnival had netting over their pools when we were in port, so I was just wondering if you could swim in the pools on Noorsdam when it was in port. This Alaska cruise has a lot of days in port after we cruise the glacier. I thought maybe I could swim without it being crowded if we could swim when everyone was discovering the ports. How cold is the water in the pools on the Noorsdam in July?
I've never been on the Noordam itself, but I have been on several other HAL ships and, as a general rule, I have always seen the pools open on port days. Oh, one pool may have been undergoing cleaning, but always at least one was open. The only exception to this rule that I've seen is when the weather has been really bad and the crew places netting over the outside aft pool, since it has no protective magronome as the main Lido pool does.

I've always found the pools to be of a comfortable temperature, though I don't know exactly what it is.

I can only imagine how nice it would be to take a swim in the pool under that magronome while everyone else is off the ship exploring ports of call in Alaska. The view with glaciers in the background should be awesome!

Sounds like you'll have pretty much the whole pool to yourself on such a day. Enjoy!

Blue skies ...

--rita
Old June 18th, 2007, 05:52 PM
Cruise Maniac

[b]Sorry for not answering we go July 8-15, 2007.

I've been having a hard time not booking an excursion, but I promised my husband a relaxing cruise and not rushing to get off for an excursion or to be with the others of our group. Just take our time to see things or not. We pretty much did that with the E. Caribbean cruise, just getting off when we were good and ready, but nassau we got off when his sister & her husband did and got in with the crowd waiting to be able to get off. WE weren't with them exploring the Atlantis resort, ended up doing that with a guide by ourselves. His sister and her husband were looking for telephone cards to call home. St. Marten was nice cause we walked off the ship and walked to a beach. When it got crowded, we walked behind the beach to the little town to shop, then walked back to the ship. St. Thomas we took a van to Sapphire Beach to snorkel, which was so nice. It wasn't crowded when we got there, but ended up more crowded by the time we left, we took another van to look at the island some. Only excursion we did was the everglades in Miami, since we had a long wait before we flew out. Of course, I had studied all these islands before we left.

I think it will be nice to swim while everyone is exploring Alaska. Think we will book the Butchart Garden excursion for Victoria, he should be nice and relaxed by then. When you book online, do you have to go by the excursion desk on the ship to pick up the tickets?
Old June 18th, 2007, 06:26 PM
First Mate

Having lived in Alaska for 20 years and visited all your ports I would suggest that you get off the ship at all the ports and experience the local flavor even if you do on your own at your pace.If you have been to Ak.then you may want to take a different approach.
Old June 18th, 2007, 08:12 PM
Admiral

[quote="Dianeisme313I think it will be nice to swim while everyone is exploring Alaska. Think we will book the Butchart Garden excursion for Victoria, he should be nice and relaxed by then. When you book online, do you have to go by the excursion desk on the ship to pick up the tickets?[/quote]

If you book on line you will be asked for a credit card #, etc. and they will and send you a confirmation via e-mail. Your tickets will be in your cabin in a PINK envelope. However, just in case they are not in the cabin, make sure you print out the confirmation e-mail they send you and take it down to the excursion office when they are open. Their hours will be listed in the daily program.

Have fun!
Old June 18th, 2007, 09:38 PM
Cruise Maniac

Thank you deedee for the information