Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Holland America
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 20th, 2007, 06:13 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Zuiderdam cabin question

I am taking a 4 night coastal cruise on the Zuiderdam. Our cabin is the catagory VD,,a Deluxe outside verhanda (cheapest balcony),,,but NOT a verhanda suite. ON the other HAL ships I have been on (Volendam and Massdam) this catagory of a cabin had a DVD player in the room along with a mini-bar. By the descriptions on HALs website these amenitys are not part of the same style cabin on the "Z". Am I right or wrong (and what about a hairdryer,,and not the funny one in the "head")?
Alos,,do they show movies on the "Z"? In the Queens lounge or whtever?
HAL Eurodam 2008
CCL Paradise upcoming 2010
Sponsored Links
Old September 20th, 2007, 06:39 PM
Admiral

New hairdyers were put on all the ships a couple of years ago. Some like them and think they are better than the old ones in the bathroom, but some don't. I thought they were both fine.

Not sure about the DVD player as the ZU still had the old TV's whereas the other ships have new flat screen. They won't be getting theirs until next year. If there is a DVD and you want to watch a movie, just check one out at the front desk.

I think there is a mini-bar.

Don't know too much, do I. Haven't been on the ZU yet (Xmas) but have been on Westerdam and Noordam.
Old September 21st, 2007, 10:28 AM
Familiar Face

Send a message via AIM to RevNeal
Default Re: Zuiderdam cabin question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford_Racing_Ron
I am taking a 4 night coastal cruise on the Zuiderdam. Our cabin is the catagory VD,,a Deluxe outside verhanda (cheapest balcony),,,but NOT a verhanda suite. ON the other HAL ships I have been on (Volendam and Massdam) this catagory of a cabin had a DVD player in the room along with a mini-bar. By the descriptions on HALs website these amenitys are not part of the same style cabin on the "Z". Am I right or wrong (and what about a hairdryer,,and not the funny one in the "head")?
Alos,,do they show movies on the "Z"? In the Queens lounge or whtever?
You will find that the VD cabin (as is true with all the Vx cabins) on the Zuiderdam is a little smaller than the equivalent cabin that you've experienced aboard the Volendam and the Maasdam. I DO believe that the VD cabin will have a DVD player built into the display ... my inside J-category cabin aboard the Noordam and Oosterdam did. Yes, all cabins have the "good" hairdryers.

They DO show movies aboard the Zuiderdam (and on the Zaandam, too, for that matter! ). On the Vista ships they show movies in the Queens Lounge.

Booked and Up-Coming:
MS Amsterdam -- Alaska 14 -Days, September 7, 2012
Old September 21st, 2007, 10:34 AM
Cruise Maniac

I emailed HAL with the DVD question,,I was informed the answer is no. Only Suites have DVD players. So I will bring my laptop. We obviously are planning on watching movies during our 2 at sea days.
HAL Eurodam 2008
Old September 21st, 2007, 10:44 AM
Familiar Face

Send a message via AIM to RevNeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford_Racing_Ron
I emailed HAL with the DVD question,,I was informed the answer is no. Only Suites have DVD players. So I will bring my laptop. We obviously are planning on watching movies during our 2 at sea days.
They have movies on the TV in the room ... several movie channels, in fact.

As for no DVD players in the cabins ... hmmm ... interesting. The Signature of Excellence Upgrades included the following (straight from HAL's website note on the Signature of Excellence Upgrades):

Quote:
All staterooms and suites now feature upgraded bed linens, towels and terry robes, LG flat screen TVs with DVD players, massage showerheads, and lighted magnifying mirrors.
On the Noordam the DVD player was built into the TV, so you might have to look for it on the flat-screen's edge/back.

From HAL's website:

Quote:
SIGNATURE TOUCHES IN EVERY STATEROOM

Spacious, elegantly appointed staterooms, many with private verandahs
Luxurious Mariner's Dreamâ„¢ beds and premium linens
Daily housekeeping to tidy belongings and keep staterooms immaculate
Large, extra-fluffy Egyptian cotton towels
Lighted magnifying mirrors; massage showerheads; salon-quality hair dryers
Luxurious terry cloth bathrobes
Elemis Aromapure "Time to Spa" bath amenities
Televisions with DVD or VCR players
Generous storage
Complimentary fresh fruit
Complimentary 24-hour in-room dining
Nightly turndown service
Complimentary shoeshine service
Complimentary ice service

Booked and Up-Coming:
MS Amsterdam -- Alaska 14 -Days, September 7, 2012
Old September 21st, 2007, 12:02 PM
Admiral

Greg - the Zuiderdam still has the old TV's, probably with a VCR player, so until they get the new flat screen TV's, I don't think there is a DVD player.

Oh well, I am sure Ron will let us know the answer to this question when he returns.

Old September 21st, 2007, 12:50 PM
Cruise Maniac

My take is,,,if you go on to the website and look at deck plans, they have deck plans for prior to the beginning of April 2008 and after April 2008,,so the ship must be going into drydock for upgrades which may include the things that are supposedly done (like flat screens ) that have not been done yet. But I'd be glad to let us know.
HAL Eurodam 2008
Old September 21st, 2007, 10:49 PM
Cruise Maniac

I read someplace that the Zuiderdam is going into drydock in I think March(not sure about that though). I was on her in April 2007 and I was in a VA cabin. It was a very lovely cabin but it did not have a dvd or a vcr. Not that we needed it. Have a fun cruise.

Constellation
Old October 3rd, 2007, 04:00 PM
Cruise Maniac

Just got off the Zuiderdam about 5 hours ago. The answer is NO DVD players unless in a suite. I was in an outside verhanda,,had the old TV bolted to the wall. I must say the ship seems to be in pretty good shape in all the public areas,,the cabins are a tad worn out (probably why its going in for repairs) and the crew seemed really tired. They need to take a vacation,,,like maybe a cruise. !
HAL Eurodam 2008