Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Holland America
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 24th, 2007, 03:35 PM
Passenger

Default 7 day Mexican Riviera on the Oosterdam. Comments?

We are planning our first ever cruise and this is one of our options. Trying to decide between cruise lines and ships...... we have seven choices through Alaska airlines.

Any input on this ship and trip would be much appreciated. Thanks.

P

February 2009 - Mexico on Carnival Spirit, with kids!
Sponsored Links
Old November 25th, 2007, 01:11 AM
Beginner

** . We are retirement age. We live in Washington, so you will be flying above us on your way to the cruise ship probably! We leave soon for our cruise on the Oosterdam, and I'm very excited for the day to arrive when we are sailing away!
Old November 26th, 2007, 06:41 PM
Passenger

Default Oosterdam

I just got off the O 2 days ago. It was wonderful. I wrote a review that you can read in the review section.
Old January 14th, 2008, 11:15 AM
Passenger

Looks like we chose the Oosterdam for February 2 to Mexico.

Would love to hear more comments. thanks.

Old January 14th, 2008, 11:58 AM
Admiral

We did the 7 day Mexican Riviera on the Ryndam over xmas.
Thoroughly enjoyed Cabo San Lucas and Mazatlan. We hired a guy to show us the sights in Mazatlan at 25 bucks an hour. The cars are available right after the port shops.
We did not enjoy Puerta Vallarta at all. We took a cab to the downtown area so we could shop.
It is a filthy area. The people hawking their wares are very rude and nasty. The pigs even made sucking sounds at a couple of older ladies walking in front of us.
Unless you schedule some kind of excursion, I'd stay on the ship in Puerto Vallarta
Old January 15th, 2008, 01:03 AM
Familiar Face

We cruised on Oosterdam to Alaska in 2006 and enjoyed the food but found the entertainment boring. We cruised on Carnival to Mexico in 2007 it had better entertainment then Oosterdam but the food was not as good!
I totally disagree with rinker about Puerto Vallarta, I really enjoyed the "old town" downtown area and loved the Los Veranos canopy tour. If you don't want to buy from the vendors, just say "no gracias" and move on.
Old January 15th, 2008, 12:39 PM
Admiral

I'm happy for you that you enjoyed the downtown area.
I know all to well how to say no gracias and move on.
I also know the difference between an eager salesman trying to eke out a living and pigs making rude comments and sounds to older women.
I guess we just lucked on to the latter.
Old January 15th, 2008, 06:30 PM
Beginner

Congratulations Piglet on choosing the Oosterdam. In December, we enjoyed our first cruise on her and every moment was a delight. Do attend the shows-free cooking classes and galley tour. We had dinner in the dining room each night before this new style of dining but our stewards and meal choices were wonderful. Enjoy at least one meal from room service too. For breakfast and lunches we ate at the Lido deck. All of this is included in your cost for the cruise, so we did not pay extra to eat in the Pinnacle Grill. It showcases pacific northwest food and we eat that at home!!
I took so many pictures of the ship and ports, almost wore out the camera! For excursions, I have a problem knee, so didn't do anything extensive but did take the bus-overviews of all 3 ports-booked through the ship. I know that is more expensive, but didn't know anything about the ports to feel comfortable with doing my own tour guide schedules.
We didn't have any problems with hawkers as we were part of the tour group and they didn't harass us as much as if on our own according to people we talked to on our ship after being in port. We didn't buy anything in port except a tshirt and our formal pictures on the ship.
As for age on ship-we saw all ages from 3 month old to 90 plus. If you are active-go to the nightclub-show-captains black and white ball and lounges for evening entertainment. There are hot tub-spas-movies-basketball court and pools for even more activities. Do read your daily program and meet your room steward. Ours was Dodi and he made GREAT towel pets everyday, fruit bowl filled and room spotless. Hope you picked a veranda because sitting and watching the world go by is a great vacation!
Old January 15th, 2008, 06:48 PM
Passenger

Thank you all.

We were very disappointed when our travel agent told us the Oosterdam was booked for February 2nd. We simply were not in a position to book a trip well in advance due to my treatment, and now that we are ready for a vacation we are READY TO GO NOW. So we did not want to wait until March.....

We did manage to book on Princess and I am determined to have a wonderful time.

Thanks again for all yoru helpful comments.

P.

Old January 16th, 2008, 07:01 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by rinker250
We did the 7 day Mexican Riviera on the Ryndam over xmas.
Thoroughly enjoyed Cabo San Lucas and Mazatlan. We hired a guy to show us the sights in Mazatlan at 25 bucks an hour. The cars are available right after the port shops.
We did not enjoy Puerta Vallarta at all. We took a cab to the downtown area so we could shop.
It is a filthy area. The people hawking their wares are very rude and nasty. The pigs even made sucking sounds at a couple of older ladies walking in front of us.
Unless you schedule some kind of excursion, I'd stay on the ship in Puerto Vallarta
We didn't like PV either. We are leaving in 48 hours for another Mex Riv trip and either will stay on the ship in PV or maybe snorkel.

Nita
Old January 17th, 2008, 06:34 PM
Passenger

First, Hi Julie, it's me Sandi. Any new cruises planned? Melanie has posted some pictures on our roll call on the other board.

We did a private tour of PV on our December cruise and we saw so many beautiful places, including tours of private homes. We went to a couple of stores but there was no pressure to purchase anything. Junst my opinions.
Old January 17th, 2008, 07:13 PM
Admiral

graylady,
Back handed but noted.
My comment had nothing to do with pressure.
It was all about class and civility.
There were some very polite and ambitious vendors...and we patronized them.
My only point was..that the **s ho*** made an impression.
Bottom line...we did not enjoy an independent stroll through the downtown area of Puerto Vallarta.

To others...they may like that treatment.
Old January 17th, 2008, 07:21 PM
Passenger

Dan - I am glad at least that your experience seems to have been an isolated one.

Thanks to all of you for your comments. We've never been to Mexico, so we'll definitely be exploring every port.

Old January 17th, 2008, 07:23 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piglet
Dan - I am glad at least that your experience seems to have been an isolated one.

Thanks to all of you for your comments. We've never been to Mexico, so we'll definitely be exploring every port.
I hope that you explore with an open mind. In PV, visit the town square, it was beautiful.