Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Holland America
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 26th, 2007, 08:12 PM
Passenger

Default Holland America pricing

We have never cruised on Holland America and thought that we would give them a try. When I looked up their pricing policy online, I found the following:

Quote:
If cost factors dictate the need for fare increases, Holland America Line may do so at any time prior to departure. Guests can cancel (without paying a cancellation fee) rather than accept a fare increase.
It looks to me that I could board the ship and they could call my cabin before departure and say that they were increasing the fare by $100, $200 or any amount that the choose and my only alternative would be to cancel and try to find an available flight back home. Am I missing something here?
Old November 26th, 2007, 09:45 PM
Admiral

I think what they are referring to is an increase in port taxes or a fuel surcharge, like they will be doing beginning in February 2008.

They are giving the option to people who have already booked and don't want to pay the $5. + fuel tax to cancel and get a full refund. I doubt very much that they will increase the basic price of a cruise without notifying you before you boarded the ship - once you have made your final payment they won't raise the price.
Old November 27th, 2007, 07:23 AM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeDee
I think what they are referring to is an increase in port taxes or a fuel surcharge, like they will be doing beginning in February 2008.

They are giving the option to people who have already booked and don't want to pay the $5. + fuel tax to cancel and get a full refund. I doubt very much that they will increase the basic price of a cruise without notifying you before you boarded the ship - once you have made your final payment they won't raise the price.
It seems tp me that they are referring to the cruise fare, not surcharges. They also seem to say that the right to cancel does not apply if surcharges are increased.

Quote:
If cost factors dictate the need for fare increases, Holland America Line may do so at any time prior to departure. Guests can cancel (without paying a cancellation fee) rather than accept a fare increase. This right does not apply to increases in Taxes or to Surcharges, as described below.
Old November 27th, 2007, 12:36 PM
Admiral

Quote:
If cost factors dictate the need for fare increases, Holland America Line may do so at any time prior to departure. Guests can cancel (without paying a cancellation fee) rather than accept a fare increase. This right does not apply to increases in Taxes or to Surcharges, as described below.
Where did you find this? On HAL'S website? I've looked at the pricing for my Alaska cruise in May and I don't see anything. They only thing that I see is Fares below do not include fuel supplement of $5.00 per guest, per day. Note: Fuel supplement of $5.00 per guest, per day applies to all sailings on or after February 1, 2008.
The maximum charge is $70.00 per guest.

I also found this in the section showing the breakdown of the fare "Fares are per person, based on rate: Best Fare and are quoted in United States Dollars, as of Tuesday, November 27, 2007 9:31:25 o'clock AM PST. Fares and availability are subject to change without notice and will not be guaranteed until a reservation is
confirmed."

Is this what you are referring to? If it's not the answer you are looking for sorry I can't help you.
Old November 27th, 2007, 12:55 PM
Admiral

Read the contract for any cruise line and you will see essentially the same thing. They can raise the price anytime they want to.

SS Norway (12 times) '85 - '97; Radiance OS 06/01; Island Princess 11/04, Grand Princess 11/04/05, Golden Princess 7/21/06, Golden Princess 2/24/07, Explorer of the Seas 12/23/07, Island Princess 11/15/08
Old November 27th, 2007, 01:07 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Shark
Read the contract for any cruise line and you will see essentially the same thing. They can raise the price anytime they want to.
Prices are guaranteed when the reservation is confirmed. Surcharges can be added after that time but I think you can count of them NOT adding one after you have paid in full.
Old November 27th, 2007, 01:55 PM
Admiral

[quote="rinker250"]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Shark
Prices are guaranteed when the reservation is confirmed. Surcharges can be added after that time but I think you can count of them NOT adding one after you have paid in full.[/quote

Nope .....

"1. Additions to Fare/Non-Discountable Amount, Taxes and Surcharges:

(a) The fare that you paid was determined far in advance of Initial Departure on the basis of then-existing projections of fuel and other costs. In the event of an increase in fuel or other costs above amounts projected, we have the right to increase the fare at any time up to Initial Departure and to require payment of the additional fare prior to Initial Departure. We have the right to refuse to transport you unless the additional fare is paid. Within seven (7) days after you are notified of the additional fare (but no later than Initial Departure), you may elect to surrender this contract to us for cancellation, whereupon you will receive the Refund Amount. Cancellation fees do not apply to this type of refund. "

http://www.hollandamerica.com/policies/cruise.do

SS Norway (12 times) '85 - '97; Radiance OS 06/01; Island Princess 11/04, Grand Princess 11/04/05, Golden Princess 7/21/06, Golden Princess 2/24/07, Explorer of the Seas 12/23/07, Island Princess 11/15/08
Old November 27th, 2007, 02:06 PM
Admiral

Well, appears they have covered their butt for anything...doesn't seem right, though.
I guess an additional cost other than fuel could be wages (wait, we already pay a required tip) or alcohol increase (wait, we pay an inflated cost for each drink AND a 15% gratuity [see wages]) or food (wait, there is a surcharge for good food)...or soft drinks (wait, we pay for those too!)

Tell me a Cruise Line is not in a win win situation.
Old November 28th, 2007, 11:38 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Holland America pricing

Quote:
Originally Posted by tutak
It looks to me that I could board the ship and they could call my cabin before departure and say that they were increasing the fare by $100, $200 or any amount that the choose and my only alternative would be to cancel and try to find an available flight back home. Am I missing something here?
I think they are talking mainly fuel surcharges there ... or perhaps last minute increases in a port charge on one of the stops on the ship's itinerary, such as that $50 per head tax Alaska assessed on cruise ship passengers last year. Also, as another example, HAL just instituted a $5 per day per person fuel surcharge (up to a maximum of $70) for all cruises departing February and beyond.

Those are items that HAL is reserving the right to add on to a passenger's fare at the "last minute." But, they won't ever increase the cost of your basic accommodations after you've booked and paid. No cruise line would do that.

Blue skies ...

--rita