CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Holland America (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/holland-america/)
-   -   Westerdam buffet (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/holland-america/349508-westerdam-buffet.html)

mwilliams April 5th, 2008 01:06 PM

Westerdam buffet

My Mom, sister, and I just returned from a 7 day cruise on the Westerdam. I have formerly cruised on Royal Caribbean and Celebrity lines.

The workers on the cruise are fantastic!!!! So nice and helpful!! Always smiling and friendly. We loved them all!

The shows were beyond fantastic!

The room was kept very very clean and was fantastic. (We had a Veranda Suite on the aft of the ship) Beautiful views!

The ports of call were great except Tortola. That one was not very handicapped accessible. We got off there but had to soon turn back because of the extreme traffic and high curbs. Not great for wheelchairs. We got off on St. Maarten and Grand Turk. Very wheelchair accessible. The deals on St. Maarten were fantastic.

I have to say we were all disappointed with the buffet. The only buffet part was the salad. The other choices were dinners with the sides already chosen. There were usually only four dinners to choose from. This was very different from Royal Caribbean and Celebrity. There were multiple choices there. It seems like the food was being very monitored, even the desserts.

The dessert buffet was very small and the ice cream cones were a joke. I never saw anyone make a cone the way they did...one line of ice cream coming straight up out of the cone.

Also, the glasses for the water and tea (they offered no juices) would only hold about 4 ounces. This meant filling up several glasses unless you wanted to keep going back. I finally bought a 'dam beverage holder' in the shop and used it at the buffet.

Anyway, this seems like a small problem to some people but let's face it, part of a cruise is the wonderful food. I wonder if this control is for sanitary issues or maybe waste issues. (I fear we wasted more sides that we didn't really want.)

Overall, besides the food, the trip was great. A challenge taking our 91 year old mother but we had so many helpful workers to make it easier. They treated her like a celebrity which we appreciated very much.

Our next cruise will be back with Celebrity or Royal Caribbean because of the food control issues. If you eat mostly in the dining room it would not be an issue with anyone else.

Shelby April 5th, 2008 01:10 PM

Are you referring to the Lido for dinner? I've only had breakfast and lunch in the Lido, and it was a la carte as far as choosing what sides dishes you wanted with your entree.

Shelby

DeeDee April 5th, 2008 01:37 PM

Quote:

I have to say we were all disappointed with the buffet. The only buffet part was the salad. The other choices were dinners with the sides already chosen. There were usually only four dinners to choose from.

HUH! Are you talking about dinner in the Lido?????? If so, I agree with you. We ate dinner there once on our last cruise and never again. However some people love it.

We always eat breakfast and lunch in the Lido and there is so much to choose from we never know what to have.

As far as the ice cream goes, I've been told that HAL has the best and don't forget it's FREE. I understand other lines charge for it. I always have a kiddie cone because they give you so much in the waffle cones.

What do you mean "one line of ice cream coming straight up out of the cone" :-?

Shelby April 5th, 2008 01:40 PM

HAL doesn't make their ice cream cones any different than other place I've eaten a cone. They'll give you as much or as little ice cream as you want.

Shelby

sail7seas April 5th, 2008 02:16 PM

You could have had as much ice cream as you wanted. If you wanted two or even three scoops, you need only have said so.

I join the others in saying we are amazed at the selection in Lido for breakfast and lunch. We never have dinner in Lido so can't comment about that. I cannot imagine what more you could have wanted for breakfast that wasn't offered. Eggs in any style, omelets, cheese, cold cuts, lots of fruit, juices, bacon, turkey bacon, sausage links and patties, potatoes, waffles, french toast, muffins, croissants, danish pastry, bagels, english muffins, cream cheese, smoked salmon, oatmeal, coffee, tea etc etc

What more could a person want?

mwilliams April 5th, 2008 03:08 PM

Westerdam buffet

Yeah, I am talking about dinner at the Lido. The ice cream was the soft serve - and not self serve as on other lines. You could ask for as many 'dips' as you wanted but the soft serve was almost comical with how they prepared it. Just one blop coming straight up - no swirling it around and piling it up as is the normal way. Do they still have self serve on other lines?

We always had room service for breakfast because of my Mom. It took a while to get ready in the mornings.

Did anyone experience the very small glasses? What's up with that?

DeeDee April 5th, 2008 05:09 PM

Why didn't you ask for the regualar ice cream? You can have as much as you want in a dish or have a large waffle cone.

Sorry the fella didn't "swirl" your soft ice cream - maybe he didn't know how. :roll:

sail7seas April 9th, 2008 01:58 PM

You didn't see the board on the wall that told which flavors of regular ice cream that were featuring each day? There are always 3 or 4 flavors to choose from. Surely you saw lots of people with dishes/cones of regular ice cream. If not, I can't imagine how you missed that.

We have Room Service breakfast almost every morning on all our cruises. We get as much of anything/everything as we want. If you want 3 muffins, just ask for it. If you want a 3 egg omelet, just say so. If you don't tell them what you want, they cannot know.

dvrdude April 9th, 2008 02:45 PM

:shock: Say it isn't so! DW and I are booken on the Westerdam in May. We've sailed HAL several times and have never had anything but great food and plenty of options in the Lido (I'm assuming that's what you mean by "buffet"). That's our version of "freestyle" dining and superior to anything NCL can offer IMHO. Is there no more pasta area? Deli sector?
stir fry?? I'm confused :-? .

DeeDee April 9th, 2008 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dvrdude
:shock: Say it isn't so! DW and I are booken on the Westerdam in May. We've sailed HAL several times and have never had anything but great food and plenty of options in the Lido (I'm assuming that's what you mean by "buffet"). That's our version of "freestyle" dining and superior to anything NCL can offer IMHO. Is there no more pasta area? Deli sector?
stir fry?? I'm confused :-? .

The poster was talking about dinner in the Lido, not lunch. Yes, they still have the pasta bar, sandwich (deli) bar, the Asian (stir fry) section & the regular buffet food - oh forgot the salada bar.

dvrdude April 9th, 2008 03:51 PM

Thanks Dee Dee

Whew......I would have been bummed. DW and I tend to eat several little meals as opposed to the traditional (I guess) 3. Glad to hear the Lido will be as I remember it.

nmnita April 10th, 2008 12:17 PM

We only choose to eat dinner at Lido once, the first night. The choices we had were the same as in the dining room, but we were not impressed. I don't think buffets are meant to be the same as eating in the formal dining rooms. This is the choice one makes when they choose not to opted for traditional dining.

As for the rest of the meals, lunch and breakfast, we have cruised every mass marketed line and think HAL does the best with thier buffets.

Nita :wink: