Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Holland America
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 18th, 2008, 01:21 PM
Passenger

Default tipping practice

Hello cruisers!
I just don´t know wether to tip room service or not. I know it is included in the final charge but I feel so stingy not tipping. Does anybody else feel that way?
Sponsored Links
Old November 18th, 2008, 06:43 PM
First Mate

I always tip room service a couple of bucks. I'm not sure if they are included in the tip pool or not, but it's a lot of running around for them and they deserve it (IMHO).
Old November 18th, 2008, 07:50 PM
Admiral

We always tip for room service - if it's just coffee, we give the steward a couple of dollars - if it's more, like a sandwich or a cheese tray in the afternoon, we'll give him more.

No , it's not included in the tip pool. It's the stewards to keep.
Old November 19th, 2008, 01:46 AM
Passenger

Thanks for the "tip" (ha,ha)
I really thought it was included in the tip pool, now I feel awful for not tipping every time I ordered room service. I will most certainly do it on the next cruise, I agree, they deserve it.......
Old November 20th, 2008, 09:09 AM
Admiral

Vico,

I guess you have your answer..We don't tip quite as much as Dee Dee, we usually give a buck for coffee only. If we order breakfast that is different. Normally that is about all we order, unless we get some cheese or something like that to enjoy with a drink before dinner.

Nita
Old November 21st, 2008, 03:36 AM
Familiar Face

We tip room service and baggage handlers. We also tip above the basic tip amount. We had excellent room stewards and waiter/waitress.

Carnival Ecstasy 2008
Carnival Ecstasy 2009
Carnival Conquest 2010
Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Triumph 2013
Old November 21st, 2008, 09:03 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita
Vico,

I guess you have your answer..We don't tip quite as much as Dee Dee, we usually give a buck for coffee only. If we order breakfast that is different. Normally that is about all we order, unless we get some cheese or something like that to enjoy with a drink before dinner.

Nita
Nita - I don't think $2.00 is too much to give the steward to deliver coffee for 3-4 people - he not only has to bring the pot of coffee but the cups, saucers, cream/milk and sugar. I sure wouldn't want to carry that big tray up from the kitchen for less than $2.00.
Old November 21st, 2008, 01:15 PM
Cruise Maniac

We usually tip one dollar for just tea or cocoa, but for a full meal we will tip between $2 and $3 depending on the amount of food ordered.
Old November 22nd, 2008, 11:40 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruise soon
We tip room service and baggage handlers. We also tip above the basic tip amount. We had excellent room stewards and waiter/waitress.
We tip above the auto amount as well if our service is really good. Last time, we did not tip the dining room servers as our service was adequate but that was all. Our cabin steward got our extra money, he was wonderful.

Nita
Old November 22nd, 2008, 11:42 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeDee
Quote:
Vico,

Nita
Dee Dee, I don't think it is too much either, I guess we are just cheap..I think whatever you feel comforable with is fine. On Princess earlier this year we had trouble tipping period, the room service guy would be in and out so fast... I too think a couple of dollars would be the going rate if you were talking about 3 or 4 people.
Nita - I don't think $2.00 is too much to give the steward to deliver coffee for 3-4 people - he not only has to bring the pot of coffee but the cups, saucers, cream/milk and sugar. I sure wouldn't want to carry that big tray up from the kitchen for less than $2.00.
Old November 23rd, 2008, 12:47 PM
Passenger

Thanks,
it sems like everybody agrees on tipping for room service.
I guess i tis best to bring a bundle of dollar bills aboard.
Old November 23rd, 2008, 01:01 PM
Yeoman

My opinion, if you order something from the "free" menu, tip. If you order something that cost, it's up to you if you want to tip more than the extra % they put on the bill.
Old November 23rd, 2008, 10:43 PM
Admiral

I always tip for room service.

Past Cruises:
Carnival Ecstasy (4 Day Baja Mexico) 2003
Carnival Pride (7 Day Mexican Riviera) 2007
Carnival Spirit (8 Day Exotic Mexican Riviera) 2007
Carnival Freedom (7 Day Western Caribbean) 2008
Carnival Elation (4 Day Baja Mexico) 2009
Carnival Spirit (7 Day Southbound Alaska) 2009
Old November 25th, 2008, 05:37 PM
Admiral

We usually get about $100 is ones and fives before we leave home.

Nita
Old November 26th, 2008, 08:04 AM
Passenger

100$ in small bills sounds like a good idea, I don´t think it is possible to change on the boat.
thanks for all the answers.
Old November 26th, 2008, 09:45 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by vico64
100$ in small bills sounds like a good idea, I don´t think it is possible to change on the boat.
thanks for all the answers.
Yes, it is possible to change large bills for smaller ones on the ship at the Front Office, but then there is the possibility that they could run out of "ones", so best to take some small bills with you.
Old December 2nd, 2008, 06:21 AM
Admiral

I'm not a big room service orderer, but when I do I can't imagine not giving the delivery person a buck or two for his trouble. Now there are some people who say that room service waiters are included in the auto-tip pool, but still ... I would feel embarrassed not to tip him a buck or two. But, that's just me.

Blue skies ...

--rita
Old December 22nd, 2008, 06:47 AM
Familiar Face

Quote:
We always tip for room service - if it's just coffee, we give the steward a couple of dollars - if it's more, like a sandwich or a cheese tray in the afternoon, we'll give him more.

You are mistaken! The stewards providing Room Service ARE included in the tip pool!
Old December 22nd, 2008, 07:20 AM
Passenger

Thank you Geriatricnurse,
It makes sense that it is included since it is a selling point,
now it is up to me if I still want to tip for room service and I don´t have to feel bad if I don´t tip.

Old December 22nd, 2008, 12:09 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by geriatricnurse
Quote:

You are mistaken! The stewards providing Room Service ARE included in the tip pool!
You are right! Just checked with a friend who is an HM on board and I was wrong!

Even so, I will still continue tipping for room service.
Old December 22nd, 2008, 03:44 PM
First Mate

yes, i always take 100 in one's for tips. and usually i leave the cabin steward extra for the usual great service on hal; ditto my dining room waiter who always remembers the extra lamb shops. i actually tip less on the 'prepaid' plan than i did before.
and, of course 3 for room service. they really have it hard and so very nice.

[/b]
Old December 22nd, 2008, 04:39 PM
Familiar Face

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by geriatricnurse
Quote:

You are right! Just checked with a friend who is an HM on board and I was wrong!

Even so, I will still continue tipping for room service.

Good for you!
Old December 23rd, 2008, 07:07 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Vico,

Nita
I'm the same as you ... for just coffee and some pastries in the morning, I usually give a buck. For a more elaborate breakfast, two or three.

I'm not big on room service as I just prefer to pop in the Lido and have a look-see at the food before making my selections, but I can't imagine placing an order for room service and then not tipping the person who delivered it ... even if they were included in the auto-tip pool. I would just feel too cheap.

Blue skies ...

--rita
Old December 24th, 2008, 08:02 PM
First Mate

We always tip a couple of dollars for room service. The tipping policy on the ships are less than what we used to tip, however we always wonder if the staff really gets all the tips. I want to think the room service folks actually get what we give them.
Old January 15th, 2009, 11:57 PM
Beginner

Send a message via MSN to Easy Oar

We travelled on Volendam for a month and in addition to the main tip, we did tip the cabin steward by buying a small gift and tying it with some money on to one of the decorative towels he did each night. He left the gift in the cabin and didn't even say thankyou and we did this 2 days before we left. We were a bit disappointed at his lack of response.
Old January 16th, 2009, 10:03 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Oar
We travelled on Volendam for a month and in addition to the main tip, we did tip the cabin steward by buying a small gift and tying it with some money on to one of the decorative towels he did each night. He left the gift in the cabin and didn't even say thankyou and we did this 2 days before we left. We were a bit disappointed at his lack of response.
At first when I read this I thought that was very inconsiderate of him, but then I thought, well maybe he didn't know it was for him......did you put his name on it? The cabin stewards are not allowed to remove anything from the cabin and unless you actually handed it to him, or put the money in an envelope with his name on it & his name on the gift & left it on the dressing table, he wouldn't take it.

Why didn't you mention it to him when you noticed it was still there the next day? He could have taken the gift and money and then be accused of stealing if he didn't know it was for him.
Old January 16th, 2009, 03:16 PM
First Mate

i agree, very important. put the steward's name on the sealed envelope or best always, hand it to him or her directy; same with a gift. these are really disciplined people, and they do not risk impropriety.
Old January 16th, 2009, 05:39 PM
Beginner

Send a message via MSN to Easy Oar

Yes I should have mentioned that the money was put in an envelope with his name on the front.
Old January 16th, 2009, 07:03 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Oar
Yes I should have mentioned that the money was put in an envelope with his name on the front.
Could be that he didn't see it. You'll really never know.
Old January 23rd, 2009, 12:46 PM
Beginner

I speak with our cabin steward when we board and make sure he will be our guy for the cruise. We usually tip him up front and tell him what we expect. We then tip again at the end if they are good to us and go above and beyond. Some do, some don't. The amount we tip depends on the length of the cruise but for a 7 day cruise we tip him an extra $50. In the dining room we tip $20 each if they take good care of us. This really varies from ship to ship. We tip room service $2 for any delivery. In our opinion it's not what you order, it's the fact they are bringing it to you. You are expected to tip in the alternative paid restaurants. This also depends on service. We have been known to tip $20 if service is good and has ensured us good service if we go back. Lot's less if the crew is not taking care of us. We all have good/bad days and we keep this in mind when deciding what to tip. I look at it this way. Put me on a ship and work me 12 hours a day without days off for months at a time....let's just say you wouldn't want me on your staff.