Old February 11th, 2009, 11:19 AM
Beginner

Default Need advise for Dubruvnik and katakolon

My husband and I are going on the 10 day meaditrainian cruise in april with another couple and we still have nothing booked for two of our ports.
Any suggestions for these ports would be greatly apprieciated.
Dubrovnik, Croatia 8 am to 6 pm
Katakolon (Olimpia), Greece 7 am to 7 pm

Can it be done on our own or should we book a tour?

Thankyou for your help
Vicky
Old February 11th, 2009, 10:08 PM
Passenger

Dubrovnik can easily be done on your own very beautiful port, one of my favorite stops. Museum right there close to the port and farmers market, also the wall is very close. I took a ship tour at Katakolon simply because I wanted to see the historic Olympic site and it is about an hour drive, so it just seemed more economic to do it that way. I don't know where your stops are, but when we did the Greek Isles from Venice to Dubrovnik we only took the one ship tour, the ports were very easy to get around in.
Old February 11th, 2009, 10:17 PM
Beginner

dnunez
So your saying we can pretty much walk around and see everything pretty close by.
and how much was the cab to the olympia do you remember.

thanks Vicbo
Old February 11th, 2009, 10:37 PM
Passenger

Vicbo, I'm not sure about a taxi since we took the bus, with the tour we went to the Olympic excavation site and on the way back we stopped and did some shopping for gifts and then met back at the bus for the ride back to the ship. In Dubrovnik though you can walk to everything without paying for a tour. Before we left I researched each stop on the internet and printed out the sites I didn't want to miss and maps on how to get to each place. I am a planner, my husband always tells me he feels like he already knows everything before we go on the trip. I just love going to historic sites.
Old February 11th, 2009, 10:56 PM
Beginner

OK thats great I now know that Dubruvnik is going to be easy to figure out. We will just be prepaired to walk around and see the sites.
But the tour you did in Katakolon was a ship tour and you think thats the way to go if we wish to see the Olympia and do a little site seeing?
I think thats great that your so prepared the other couple we are taveling with well she is a great planner and she gave me these 2 ports to figure somthing to do so I don't want to let her down being as she has done so much for the rest of the trip.
Thanks again
Old February 11th, 2009, 11:05 PM
Passenger

I just felt better at that stop going with the ship tour since it wasn't close to the port and you know all the warnings they always give you about being back on the ship in plenty of time. I will say for a ship tour it wasn't rushed and we had time to buy some things to bring back in the town we stopped at on the way to the ship. I hope some more people will give you some good input, I am excited for you it is a wonderful cruise.
Old February 12th, 2009, 07:25 AM
First Mate

dubrovnik is wonderful; one of my two or three favorite ports ever. even if you take a shuttle from the ship (depending on where you dock) it will let you out at the main gate to the walled city. descend the stairs and, voila, you are on the marble-paved main street, placa stradun. and the little city is all yours. lots of little nooks and crannies to explore -- churches,, museums, shops -- and some very quaint eateries. the plaze in front of st. blaise church is the venue for some very good folk performances -- the croats love the arts and their culture -- as well as outdoor cafes. enjoy, enjoy. ps, the old monasteries are notable for their court-yard cloisters -- fabulous.
Old February 12th, 2009, 10:10 AM
Beginner

Well this is certainly more information than I would have known thankyou very much everyone great advise.
I think we should look into a boat tour for Katakolon to be safe then.
Old February 12th, 2009, 11:36 AM
First Mate

hi, vicbo, i'll try this again. my message in progress somehow went into space. i didn't take a tour in katakolon because i had a very bad cold, but my take is that the little port itself is 'nothing to write home about,' and folks who took the tour to olympia seemed to think the ruins weren't very impressive -- 'it took a lot of imagination.' but outside of ephesus in turkey and the greco-roman theater in taormina in sicily, lots of ruins would pale.
Old February 25th, 2009, 11:38 AM
Familiar Face

Default Dubrovnik

Sailed on NCL Jade this past Nov. The excursion we took for Dubrovnik was the visit to a farmhouse with lunch. We had a great lunch, entertainment and drinks on a verandah looking out on rolling farmland. We had a wonderful time. This tour also included a short walking tour of the city and plenty of time to explore on our own.