Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Holland America
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 7th, 2009, 04:59 PM
Beginner

Default WESTERDAM QUESTIONS, THANKS FOR RESPONSES

We are sailing with Holland America for the first time., Recently on Princess and Royal caribe. If anyone cruised recently on the Westerdam please pass your comments regarding food service, shows, tipping, etc. anything that will help us with our cruise. We are leaving on Dec. 6th for Eastern ports. Thanks for your help.
Queenbee
Sponsored Links
Old April 9th, 2009, 10:17 PM
Passenger

I have been on quite a few cruise ships, and tried Holland American, Westerdam last April. I LOVED IT!!! The ship is absolutely beautiful. The food was worth the 15 pounds I gained, and the service made me feel like a million bucks. I loved Holland American so much, I booked another, and I am leaving this Saturday. Also thinking of booking one for December. You will truly enjoy everything.

Ron
Old April 15th, 2009, 05:35 PM
First Mate

Default Westerdam

Sailed April 5-12 to Half Moon Cay, Aruba and Curacao from Ft. Lauderdale. Here is a summary of the trip:

Embarkation: Long lines but moved quickly. Approximately 35 minutes from getting in line to actual boarding.

Cabin: Booked SZ Guarantee and received SY. Very nice cabin. 389 sq. feet with balcony. Could not get into cabin unto 2:00 PM.

Cabin Steward Roni: Outstanding job...used Privacy/Make Up Room card and he never let us down. Room was always ready when we were.

Lido: No trays, long lines, small plates with food served by staff (small portions), food so-so.

Entertainment: Very good. Joel Mason (Elton John Tribute) very good. Ship dancers and singers very good. Illusionist was good, but already forgot his name.

Open Seating Dining: First night was an absolute disaster. Had 8:00 PM reservation, did not get seated until 8:45. Waiter was hurried and clearly flustered. Table 164, avoid it. Second night: Table 111, waiter Richard, assistant Sunin, wine steward Rodolfo. Outstanding! Arranged an 8:00 reservation for this table the rest of the week. Made us forget the first night.

Pinnacle Grill: Food very good. Service very disappointing. Ordered soufflete (sp) desert at the beginning of the meal. 2 hours later still no desert (party of 2). Chef came out and asked how it was...so I told him. Desert appeared out of nowhere.

Cruise Director: Kerry Watkins. Good job.

Ship condition: Public areas were good. Lido Lounge seats showing wear. Hallway walls on Deck 6 were dented and beat up from suit cases (I guess).

Disembarkation: Allowed to stay in room until time to disembark. Suit cases were easy to find. Total time from leaving ship to clearing customs wsa about 15 minutes. Plenty of taxis to the airport.

Price/Value Outstanding: Cabin price was substantially cheaper than the Royal Caribbean cruises we researched for the same week.

Tulum Mexico Resort Reviews

Splendour of the Seas 97
Veendam 05
Westerdam 06
Serenade of the Seas 07
Liberty of the Seas 07
Jewel of the Seas 08
Westerdam 09
Volendam 09
Solstice 10
Solstice 10
Caribbean Princess 11