Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Holland America
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 30th, 2009, 04:58 PM
First Mate

Default Paying For Baggage Tags

When the cruise line does not provide baggage tags prior to the cruise date, should a pasenger have to pay a local dock worker for the baggae tags. This has happened two straight times on Holland America. One in San Diego and then again in Rio de Janerio. Personally I think baggage tags are just part of the industries cost. I was told by Holland America that due to my discounted fare I was not entitled to all services provided full fare passengers. Heaven help the poor soul who pays brochure fare in order to get baggage tags. Has this happened to you?
Old April 30th, 2009, 09:29 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

I have never heard of such a practice..I have either printed them on line or received them with my documents...and how much you have paid for your cruise has nothing to do with it...My last HAL crusie was 2005...

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old April 30th, 2009, 10:23 PM
Admiral

I've also never heard of this practice.

I do know if your docs do not arrive before you leave, you can just get baggage tags from the baggage handlers at the pier. In all the cruises I have been on with HAL (over 50) I have never heard of this.

What you pay for a cruise should have nothing to do with charging for baggage tags. Are you sure it was a HAL employee who told you this?

One time the tag was torn off one of my bags and the HAL employee at the airport gave me a new one to replace it - she had a handful of them to give out if needed.
Old May 1st, 2009, 04:49 PM
Captain

Never heard of any such thing. I tend to question whether you chose to tip..... ??? the stevedore? They always have a supply of tags and I can't count the hundreds I've seen them hand out.

If you tipped the stevedore, that IMO is not considered a charge for luggage tags.

We've boarded in lots of ports and never, not ever, not anywhere seen anything like that. We've been on a great many HAL cruises.
Old May 1st, 2009, 07:24 PM
First Mate

Default Paying For Baggage Tags

Thanks to those who read and posted a reply. I have been on cruises since 1980 or 29 years and this is the first time this has happened to us on any cruise. I was concerned that if I made too much of the situtation I might not see my baggage again.I complained to the person at Holland Ameria's check in counter and was told the people doing this are not HA employees but rather employees of a contractor hired to handle baggage for the cruise.Those of you who have traveeld a lo know that many services provided in the cruise industry are done by contract personnel and not directly by the crusie lines.

I offered the person $5 as a tip and he refused. He told me in very clear english that the "cost was $20". While it did tick me off, I gave up argueing about $20 in a foreign country many years ago, so I just paid him. Quite a racket, wouldn't you agree!

In San Diego where this first occurred there was a person present with a HA shirt on. I complained to him about having to pay and he was unconcerned as this apparenty happens quite often.

In the past I too have asked and recieved without cost baggae tags when one of mine became wet or damaged and never was there a charge in Boston, New York, Miami, Galveston, Seattle, or any European port. I'm over it now---again thanks for the input.
Old May 18th, 2009, 07:49 AM
Familiar Face

Default Re: Paying For Baggage Tags

Quote:
Originally Posted by billbelt
When the cruise line does not provide baggage tags prior to the crusie date, should a pasenger have to pay a local dock worked for the baggae tags. This has happened two straight times on Holland America. One in San Diego and then again in Rio de Janerio. Personally I think baggage tags are just part of the industries cost. I was told by Holland America that due to my discounted fare I was not entitled to all services provided full fare passengers. Heaven help the poor soul who pays brochure fare in order to get baggage tags. Has this happened to you?

I think that you were "taken" by the dock workers! Perhaps they thought that you were not going to tip them? Anyway, the cost of the baggage tags should have been included with their tip, don't you think?
Old May 19th, 2009, 12:40 AM
Admiral

I too think you were "taken" by the dock worker. I have heard a couple of times ... when passengers tried to "slide" the porter a couple of dollars being told that the bag tags are $5 each. I have a problem with that. Frankly, I would politely decline, have one person wait with the luggage and the other one head inside to get some HAL bag tags from the folks at the desk. Then I would give the dock worker my bags to get onto the ship, with the same tip amount I was originally offering him ... using about $2 per bag.

I'd be willing to bet these dock workers have worked out a nice "scam" here that Holland America isn't even aware of ... at least until now. It will stop.

Those porters receive salaries. In actuality, you don't have to tip them a dime for getting your bags onto the ship. That's their JOB and they are paid a good unionized wage for doing it. Of course, we all tip the porter, but I think this is just a scam to get those tips up to a higher level.

Blue skies ...

--rita
Old May 25th, 2009, 04:25 PM
Cruise Maniac

In February, I unloaded 35 bags and 8 cases of wine in San Diego for the Statendam... I had no tags for 10 of the bags and the cases of wine... there were piles of luggage tags available on tables and the porter had more in his vest.

There was no charge. I found the porters in San Diego a lot less aggressive than in Fort Lauderdale. (although I did tip him $50+) but like bellmen in hotels, it's all about the $$.

The only thing I can suggest for future cruises, have your travel agent write an email to HAL for the embarkation / porter procedure for the port you are arriving in(have them explain what has happened in the past) Keep the print out and if anything 'unusual' happens with the porters, get their names, write it down right on that email and casually mention that this is not the procedure outlined in this email you have received from HAL and thank them for making you aware of the difference in policy from what HAL has provided you. . .I think you will find a retraction of demand for additional $$. you can also ask for the chief porter on duty who will ensure that policies are being followed.