Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Holland America
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 4th, 2010, 02:50 AM
Familiar Face

Default Bath robes

Newbie here, new to cruising. And, so, new to Holland America. Also curious about bath robes.

I see them pictured in Holland's promo materials from time to time, prominently displayed as if they were part of the decore.

Also, passengers' photos often feature bath robes.

Does Holland supply these?? If so, it would save Real Space in luggage, particularly my wife's.

The last post in this section on bathrobes was dated 2002. Eight years down the line, I thought a fresh query was warranted.
Old February 4th, 2010, 08:42 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Snoozeman Send a message via Yahoo to Snoozeman

Excellent Question.

I've always had robes over the past several years, but in the past there were requirements to get them that varied from cruise line to cruise line. (i.e. cabin type, past guest status, etc.) I'm not sure what the general 'rule' is on Holland America. Hopefully someone can help.

My Personal Cruise Blog: My Cruise Blog

Future Cruises:
Carnival Triumph-Caribbean-7/28/2014, Carnival Legend-South Pacific-8/30/2014, MSC Preziosa-Mediterranean-10/25/2014, MSC Fantasia-Mediterranean-11/2/2014, Navigator of the Seas-12/14/2013, Norwegian Jewel-1/3/2015, Emerald Princess-1/11/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/2/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/15/2015.
Old February 4th, 2010, 10:50 AM
Admiral

Default Bathrobes

Yes, all passngers on HAL ships get bathrobes, no matter what type of cabin you are.

A few years ago, only Deluxe Suite passengers got them - they were large terry cloth robes. Then they started putting light waffle weave robes in the verandah cabins. Now everyone gets the new one - light weight terry on the inside and waffle weave on the outside. They are very comfortable and saves you having to bring one with you.

However, please, please do not wear them to the Lido - this has been the complaint of many passengers on another board when they see someone wearing them over their bathing suit or pg's/nightgown to go to the Lido for breakfast or even lunch. As far as I'm concerned they are for wearing in your cabin or on your verandah, not out and about the ship.

Sometimes you will see people wearing them to the pool which to me is tacky. Now there is the possibility that they forgot to bring a cover-up for the pool or their luggage has been lost.
Old February 4th, 2010, 12:04 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Snoozeman Send a message via Yahoo to Snoozeman

Thanks DeeDee. I was curious myself having never sailed on Holland
America. I hope to do so soon though.

BTW-We JUST bought a robe on the recent Snooze Cruise for DW. It's the new waffle style you describe. She had just tried out the RCCL robes on the Voyager TA and said she would wait until we got back on Carnival as she liked those much better. They are nice.

My Personal Cruise Blog: My Cruise Blog

Future Cruises:
Carnival Triumph-Caribbean-7/28/2014, Carnival Legend-South Pacific-8/30/2014, MSC Preziosa-Mediterranean-10/25/2014, MSC Fantasia-Mediterranean-11/2/2014, Navigator of the Seas-12/14/2013, Norwegian Jewel-1/3/2015, Emerald Princess-1/11/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/2/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/15/2015.
Old February 4th, 2010, 12:32 PM
Beginner

Send a message via Yahoo to phantomcat

We just returned from a HAL Caribbean cruise. We have always chosen a balcony cabin and always have had comfy waffle robes supplied by HAL. For some reason this cruise provided four robes for the two of us, tempting us to slip a pair of them into our suitcase. I don't know what Holland would charge for such an indiscretion, nor would we choose to learn.
Old February 4th, 2010, 09:23 PM
Admiral

I'm glad you said "tempting" to put them into our suitcase.

They would have cost you $49.95 each with a three letter monogram.

Were you in a Quad cabin? If so that could be why you had 4 bathrobes - the cabin steward may have been used to putting 4 in there and did so without checking his list.
Old February 6th, 2010, 11:08 AM
Familiar Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeDee View Post
Sometimes you will see people wearing them to the pool which to me is tacky. Now there is the possibility that they forgot to bring a cover-up for the pool or their luggage has been lost.
DeeDee,

I ask this sincerely, not to be churlish.

Preparing for my first cruise, I've looked at a lot of cruisers' photo albums on many sites. A good number of these photos were shot at onboard pools, and I see what appear to be white bathrobes, visually identical to what I see in promo photos from Holland, especially on the bodies of older passengers (of which Holland has a lot!)

If they're not wearing the supplied bathrobes, what are they (or, what should they) be wearing?
Old February 6th, 2010, 07:41 PM
Admiral

The way I think is that I wouldn't wear my housecoat/bathrobe out in public, so I only were it in the house, thus I only wear it in our cabin

There are lots of types of cover-ups for women - I often buy the sleeveless cotton shifts that they sell on the ships in the shops or I buy a couple on the islands. Wearing it over my bathing suit, I can go the Lido for lunch and feel comfortable.

Men usually wear a t-shirt with their bathing suit when going to the pool or Lido.

If you were invited to someone's pool, would you wear your bathrobe?

This is only my opinion. I don't know how other posters feel about.

No, I didn't think you were being churlish.

Have a GREAT cruise and enjoy yourselves. Happy Sailing.
Old February 7th, 2010, 01:13 PM
Beginner

Send a message via Yahoo to phantomcat
Default Not a quad, DeeDee

Dee Dee,
You inquired if our cabin was a quad. Ours was a standard balcony cabin, VD class. Two bathrobes were hung in a closet and two were hung out in the open. It truly appeared as though it was a mistake to provide four bathrobes but rarely have we seen such oversights aboard HAL.

I agree, $50.00 is a bit pricey, and if I had slipped a couple into a suitcase they would not have been monogrammed.
Old February 7th, 2010, 01:43 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Holland America's "Signature of Excellence" program added bathrobes to all staterooms.

Here is a list of amenities that come with all cabins.

SIGNATURE TOUCHES IN EVERY STATEROOM
  • Spacious, elegantly appointed staterooms, many with private verandahs
  • Luxurious Mariner's Dream™ beds and premium linens
  • Daily housekeeping to tidy belongings and keep staterooms immaculate
  • Large, extra-fluffy Egyptian cotton towels
  • Lighted magnifying mirrors; massage showerheads; salon-quality hair dryers
  • Luxurious terry cloth bathrobes
  • Elemis Aromapure "Time to Spa" bath amenities
  • Televisions with DVD players
  • Generous storage
  • Complimentary fresh fruit
  • Complimentary 24-hour in-room dining
  • Nightly turndown service
  • Complimentary shoeshine service
  • Complimentary ice service
Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old February 8th, 2010, 12:50 AM
Familiar Face

Mike,

This is very helpful for someone who's new to all this.

Who knows? Maybe my bride and I will find ourselves on many cruises in the years ahead. If so, then we can supply some answers to others who are new.

In the meantime, thanks to you -- and Fern and DeeDee and Snoozeman and more than my sleepy-time memory can retrieve -- I've gotten answers to many details which I know are likely small potatos, but a newbie wouldn't know that for sure, right? I grateful I turned this web site up in a Google search.
Old February 19th, 2010, 10:44 AM
Admiral

We took our first HAL cruise in January. We were in a VD balcony room. I can assure everyone we received everything Mike has listed. The only thing I might quibble with was storage space. Would could have done with a bit more room but we more than made do.

We were so pleased with this cruise - we will definitely be looking at HAL again.

Celebrity Constellation - March 17 followed by Celebrity Reflection - March 22 (done)

44 cruises - too many to list however cruiselines are in no particular order:

Azamara
Uniworld
RCL
Princess
NCL
HAL
Cunard
Celebrity
and some unknown tub

Yes, I'm a Royal Chump and proud of it.
Old February 19th, 2010, 12:01 PM
Admiral

I was on a HAL cruise in 2008 with a balcony room .Everything was excellent .I am doing a HAL cruise this year and can't wait
Old March 1st, 2010, 02:30 PM
Familiar Face

Send a message via AIM to RevNeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivilian View Post
If they're not wearing the supplied bathrobes, what are they (or, what should they) be wearing?
I've been on 22 HAL cruises, and in general people wear cover-ups ... t-shirts or other loose, light weight shirts, and possibly shorts if their swimming suite is close-fitting or otherwise skimpy. Personally, I wear longer baggy swimming trunks, so I just wear a t-shirt and sandals to walk from my stateroom to the pool. Personally -- just for me -- I don't wear the bathrobes outside my cabin. But, again, that's just my preference. I know some people who do wear them in transit to/from the pool, and don't see anything wrong with that.

That being said, I personally do not think it appropriate to wear the HAL-supplied bathrobe to dine in the Lido or to traipse through lounges wearing it; wearing one in the corridors and elevators to and from the pool area, however, seems reasonable to me.

Booked and Up-Coming:
MS Amsterdam -- Alaska 14 -Days, September 7, 2012
Old March 1st, 2010, 02:58 PM
Familiar Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevNeal View Post
I've been on 22 HAL cruises, and in general people wear cover-ups ... t-shirts or other loose, light weight shirts, and possibly shorts if their swimming suite is close-fitting or otherwise skimpy.
Having just returned from my first HAL cruise, I confirm what you report here. I think I saw one bath robe in the pool area, and never saw one in the Lido or anywhere else. I'm only one person, of course, and it could have happened out of my sight. Still, it didn't seem to happen.

I dressed as you do. I did see one heathen fellow wander into the Lido from the pool area in nothing but his swim trunks. I had been on board about five days when it happened and was surprised at myself for feeling shocked.

How soon we acclimatize ourselves to our surroundings!
Old March 1st, 2010, 07:40 PM
Admiral

Okay, a Vicar and a Pastor were on a ship.... (Sorry , I just couldn't help it! All we need now is a Rabbi!)

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Sea Princess 2014
Old March 1st, 2010, 08:24 PM
Familiar Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fern View Post
Okay, a Vicar and a Pastor were on a ship.... (Sorry , I just couldn't help it! All we need now is a Rabbi!)
For all I know, there were plenty of rabbis on this trip! I know I saw at least two other men in collars.

I wish I had gone to mass. Catholic folks at an evening seating told me the Roman priest who said mass daily on ship was a Belgian who spoke excellent English and was accustomed in his home area to have Protestants in his services.

I'll be a tad bolder the next time. Maybe I'll even signal HAL that I'm a bellsy-smellsy sort of Anglican and would be quite happy to pack my stole and chasuble for mass.

Fr. Bill
Old March 3rd, 2010, 09:47 PM
Familiar Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fern View Post
A Priest and a Rabbi walked into a bar and the bartender asked "Is this a joke?"

Booked and Up-Coming:
Old March 3rd, 2010, 09:50 PM
Familiar Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivilian View Post
For all I know, there were plenty of rabbis on this trip! I know I saw at least two other men in collars.

I wish I had gone to mass. Catholic folks at an evening seating told me the Roman priest who said mass daily on ship was a Belgian who spoke excellent English and was accustomed in his home area to have Protestants in his services.

I'll be a tad bolder the next time. Maybe I'll even signal HAL that I'm a bellsy-smellsy sort of Anglican and would be quite happy to pack my stole and chasuble for mass.
Fr. Bill,
You really should inquire about service as a Protestant Guest Minister aboard HAL. I've served a chaplain on multiple occasions and have enjoyed it greatly.

I notice you're in North Texas. So am I. If you'd like to chat in person, feel free to e-mail me: revneal@mac.com

Blessings!

Booked and Up-Coming: